Why do my limbs fall asleep so easily?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Why do my limbs fall asleep so easily?

Postby LApea on August 12th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Hey everyone!

I've noticed lately that my arms and legs tend to fall asleep rather quickly. If I'm sitting for say 20 minutes, I get up and my legs and bum feel tingly and weak like they are on the verge of falling asleep. Additionally, say I'm have my arms up using my phone, my arms and hands start to fall asleep and tingle, even feel numb!

I can't even sleep with my arms straight up near my head or else my arm will be completely dead. It is so frustrating and scary, I'm not sure if this is related to BFS or not, or if any of you have experienced it.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Jay
You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it. -Paulo Coelho
LApea
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Why do my limbs fall asleep so easily?

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 12th, 2013, 2:54 pm

It sounds like you may have inflamed vertebrae in your spine compressing on your nerves. This would make them hyper sensitive to the 'going to sleep' sensation. I'd recommend you see a good chiropractor.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on August 12th, 2013, 9:48 pm

it comes and goes, my dear. do not worry. That is all I can say. I have that in bouts, sitting 20 minutes is enough to have your blood circulation to be interrupted, so your legs behave in a normal way ;)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Tiber2011 on August 13th, 2013, 8:48 am

I sleep on my back, and if I place my hands on my chest, they may fall asleep in the night. It's so annoying.

You might have poor circulation, like me. My hands are always cold. if you don't have pain, and your limbs wake up after 30-40 minutes, than I wouldn't be too scared.

Try going for a walk or bike ride.
Tiber2011
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Floydian on August 14th, 2013, 4:11 am

Hi Jay, in my opinion this is completely related to bfs, so I shouldn't worry too much (I always say that to you :P )
In the beginning this was one of the many symptoms that was on my big list.
When lying on my bed my arms began to sleep directly. And every night I woke up with tingling and sleeping limbs.
Nowadays I occasionaly wake up with a sleeping arm. And it occurs when e.g. I cross my legs, sit too long or type too long.
What helped me a lot at that time was wearing arm braces at night.
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on August 14th, 2013, 5:07 am

I can tell you also that this night I had such severe numbness caused by body position, that I even can not hold a hand straight (it ws really dropping down when i put my arm straight) for a while. But as soon as blood circulation was restored, it become alive again and I feel no difference between them :)
during the night we often underestimate the time we can spend motionless pressing our limbs down. And BSF often is accompanied with autonomous disfunctions which means our periferal blood circulation is not the best and can be interrupted much easily that in healthy persons. Hypermobility also helps in putting hands and legs in weird positions and causing ishemia.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby perform on August 14th, 2013, 8:12 am

This happens to me. Staying hydrated seems to help a lot.
perform

Postby cecsix on August 14th, 2013, 9:30 am

I get this too. A few times, at night, I would wake up and an entire arm would be asleep. It freaked me out when that happened. One hand or the other falls asleep fairly regularly, and I haven't had the entire arm fall asleep for a while, and I hope it stays that way. I don't know why exactly, but it ramps my anxiety up so high that I can't get back to sleep.
cecsix

Postby LApea on August 14th, 2013, 9:45 am

Thanks so much everyone. This symptom has been bugging me a lot lately so I'm glad I asked here. I have thought of all possibilities from my back, which does hurt all the time, to circulation etc. I'm glad I'm not alone and it's not too alarming. I am going to look into any back and neck issues because I do have a lot of pain.

Hugs Floydian..always great seeing you around :D What kind of braces? You sleep looking like Edward Scissorhands? :lol: I've actually slept with a hand/wrist brace when I had some hand issues.
You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it. -Paulo Coelho
LApea
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aztwitchy on August 14th, 2013, 10:05 am

I get this...happens quite a lot.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby Floydian on August 15th, 2013, 2:39 am

Hi Jay, check your p.m. :wink:
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby leaflea on February 3rd, 2015, 3:28 pm

Bumping this up...it has been happening to me to the point my alarm goes off in the morning and I cannot move my hands to shut it off for several moments. So disturbing. Not overly worried because this happened to me while I was pregnant (15+ years ago) but not to this extent. It was toward the end of my pregnancies where everything felt swollen and I assumed some nerves were getting irritated or something. How common is this for bfs? Just a word helps
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby LApea on February 23rd, 2015, 7:10 pm

Hello!

I haven't been on in a while, but came on today and noticed this topic bumped up.

I still have issues with tingling and numbness of my limbs. I really think it's a problem with my back, because I do have a lot of back pain and stiffness. I haven't had my back checked, but I am going to soon. Hope you find answers, but like you I'm not overly worried about it. A lot of people without bfs have told me they experience these things as well.
LApea
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Nytviolet on June 7th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Count me in. I took a short nap lying on my left side earlier and awoke with my entire left arm numb and dead (if an alarm clock had rung, I couldn't have shut it off). Happens to legs, feet, even my rear end. Didn't realize so many other BFS folks had this too. Maybe we're onto something?
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby misterjuanperalta on June 7th, 2015, 4:03 pm

My theory is back issues most commonly cause pain only, but they can cause twitching and/or pain. It depends on what switch is turned on.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS