Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby modest811 on August 12th, 2013, 11:58 am

Last edited by modest811 on April 28th, 2016, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modest811

Re: New here, burning tongue symptom.

Postby MarioMangler on August 12th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Oh yes I have this a lot. In fact it started about four or five years into my BFS, very similar to your timeline. I have no idea what that sensation is, honestly, but it would make sense that since we have weird nerve issues and weird pain/sensation issues, it would make sense that we will interpret burning when there really isn't any. To me it just seems logical that it would be the exact same nerve hyperexcitability.

As you said, it comes and goes during the day, and sometimes it will disappear for days or weeks at a time. The only thing I have found that really seems to help is Biotene dry mouth spray or Biotene dry mouth mouthwash. If nothing else that just sort of soothes your tongue and your mouth for a while.

In the big picture though, of course this is nothing serious. It is just typical BFS weirdness.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on August 12th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Could be BFS, but I believe it's very typical of B12 deficiency. Not sure you've looked into that, but you might try to supplement with B12 and see if that helps.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby modest811 on August 12th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Last edited by modest811 on April 28th, 2016, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modest811

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 12th, 2013, 1:21 pm

If these symptoms are more common among menopausal women then it would stand to reason that perhaps the burning sensation in the tongue is due to a hormonal imbalance. Are you taking any meds that contain hormones (i.e. Rogane for hair loss)? Also do you use soaps or detergents that have lavender or lavender scents? Believe it or not there are some plant compounds that mimic estregen in the body (lavender is one of the more common ones). Sometimes products contain hormones and we don't even realize it. Colognes and aftershaves can contain hormones in them and the skin soaks them up into the blood stream (if this weren't a factor nicotine patches wouldn't work). So definitely look into potential sources of hormone imbalance...
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on August 12th, 2013, 1:26 pm

For me it is generally the tip of the tongue but at times it can be all over. And again, some days are bad, some days it disappears. It is the weirdest thing. Someone once told me that a burning tongue is just a weird side effect of heartburn. Are you having bad heartburn or IBS these days?
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby udflfbajb on August 13th, 2013, 6:22 am

I get this too. The tip of my tongue feels like it does right after I have touched a very hot drink or something. In other words, it feels like I burned it. After having this sensation for a few days, I looked at it in the mirror, and discovered that it's actually a very localized fasciculation close to my tongue tip, with a diameter of about 2 mm. It can be hard to see, because I have difficulties keeping my tongue still enough to identify the fasciculation, plus it's right under my tongue tip, so I need to lift the tongue up (while keeping it still, not easy) to see it.

If you get this sensation, but don't see a fasciculation, it might be because it is too deep to be visually manifested on the surface of the tongue. I don't know. But for me, a burning sensation on my tongue tip is directly caused by a fasciculation. I cannot feel the twitching directly.
udflfbajb
Interested
Interested

Postby Floydian on August 14th, 2013, 2:34 am

I had this symptom too for a few weeks. The feeling that you just burned your tongue with some hot tea. Very annoying but nothing to worry about.
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management