Alcohol

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Alcohol

Postby muppetdog on July 9th, 2013, 7:34 pm

I am just curious how many people on here might attribute some of their symptoms to drinking too much throughout their lives.

I was reading about different neuropathies, because I have been having a lot of episodes of burning skin,numb feeling, prickly, cool feeling, pins and needles, slightly tingly sensations in my hands and feet. They sometime go all the way up to my knees and into my forearms. A couple of the recent episodes have been when I tried to drink some wine one day and had some tequila with friends another. I know alcohol is definitely on my "No Fly" list now. I had completely quit it for 10 months before because I really could not tolerate it and did not feel like drinking at all.

I guess the two main causes of neuropathies are diabetes, which I know I don't have, and too much alcohol use. Throughout my life I have always been a drinker. I guess sometimes I would binge drink or drink more than I thought I should, but I did not have to have it everyday. I know that it attributed to running down my immune system the summer before, and the subsequent years before, leading to me getting sick a lot; but I just wonder if it could have a delayed effect on nerves causing neuropathy.

Anyway, I just thought I would run it up the flagpole and see what you guys' experiences and thoughts are.

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Alcohol

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 9th, 2013, 9:00 pm

As you may have read in some of BFSBurger's posts on the anti-inflammatory diet there are quite a few success stories from others benefiting from the diet as well. Years ago I had success with a similar diet change. I was fortunate enough to have a doctor who was aware of a very common but completely under-diagnosed condition called 'leaky gut syndrome'. Essentially the reason these foods become inflammatory is because the digestive system becomes out of balance (too much yeast and not enough pro-biotics). The yeast irritates the lining of the intestines causing them to become porous and undigested complex food proteins get into the blood stream thus becoming targets for the immune system. Hello food sensitivities and inflammation. The reason our digestive systems get out of balance is because of our diets containing too much sugar and too many processed foods that feed the yeast. The relevance of alcohol is that it too feeds the yeast and contributes to the inflammation of the digestive system. I'm still of the belief that a majority of people with BFS symptoms suffer from this condition to at least some degree. I'm glad to see BFSBurger's attention on the subject. Anyway, I'm glad you recognize that alcohol is a trigger for you and that you avoid it.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby muppetdog on July 11th, 2013, 1:16 pm

SAM -

As always, I appreciate the response. I am currently trying a "Paleo Like" diet and trying to weed out my trigger foods. I have learned a lot from you, Burger, and others on this board that have changed their diets, in-turn changing their symptoms.

The Leaky Gut thing is an awesome topic. I think I will start another thread where we all can discuss and educate each other on it - I know you have been preaching this for a while and It seems to work.

I have read quite a bit on Leaky Gut or increased intestinal permeability, and it seems like an area that is so relevant to a lot of autoimmunities. Its funny, if you read the article on WebMD - you know the ultimate, cover our medical a55e5 site - they say it exists but doctors don't understand enough about the immunology of the guy yet to know what to do. Thanks WebMD, that's great they don't have a handle on 60%-70% of our immune systems. Come on!!

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/leaky-gut-syndrome

That was pretty much how you cured your symptoms, right? You fixed your digestion. I think the natural doctors and the nutritionists that don't have to play by the insurance company, drug company, fear of litigation, rules are the ones that seem to know more about this stuff. It seems mainstream MD's really don't know anything about nutrition or healing through nutrition - unless you have a Neurontin deficiency ;) I have asked soooo many of them and they all just say, "you know follow a healthy diet." Great, thanks. Not to be too overly critical of Dr's, they are great for the 80% sick kind of stuff - you know like Broken Leg Syndrome ;)

So,I have been tweaking my diet in an anti-inflammatory fashion and am still getting it nailed down for my personal physiology. I was just kind of wanting to prob the waters on the alcohol topic. I am curious how many of us out there might attribute some of their symptoms to past or current alcohol use because, next to diabetes, it seems like the leading cause for neuropathy-type symptoms. It can wreak havoc on how your bodies metabolism and nutrient absorption.

Here is kind of a summation of some of the other stuff alcohol can effect:

http://oade.nd.edu/educate-yourself-alcohol/your-body-and-alcohol/

Thanks again

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 11th, 2013, 2:28 pm

muppetdog wrote:That was pretty much how you cured your symptoms, right? You fixed your digestion.

Yes, I attribute a majority of my recovery to removing inflammatory foods, rebalancing the candida/pro-biotic ratio, and eating healthier allowing my digestive system time to heal. This was probably the biggest contributor to me overcoming my BFS.

muppetdog wrote:I think the natural doctors and the nutritionists that don't have to play by the insurance company, drug company, fear of litigation, rules are the ones that seem to know more about this stuff. It seems mainstream MD's really don't know anything about nutrition or healing through nutrition - unless you have a Neurontin deficiency ;) I have asked soooo many of them and they all just say, "you know follow a healthy diet." Great, thanks. Not to be too overly critical of Dr's, they are great for the 80% sick kind of stuff - you know like Broken Leg Syndrome ;)

I agree with you 110%. If I have a gun shot wound or a broken leg, get me to the ER. If I have a chrnoic condition don't try to give me a drug that will mask the symptoms. Get me a doctor or practitioner who can help me address the real underlying cause so that my body can heal naturally and I can go on living my life. It's not the fault of the doctors. They are taught at medical schools to think the way they do, and they are taught to reach for the prescription pad. My brother is a surgeon and he went to school at the University of Michigan. I was visiting him on campus one time and it was a very large and impressive school. Equally large and impressive was the Phizer drug company's campus right accross the street. If you follow the money, who is funding the curriculums to train the new doctors? I don't see it as a coincidence at all. It's sad really. The sustainment of a money making model has taken control of an institution that is supposed to help people's health. It surely does not in its current paradigm... I'm glad more people are waking up to this, but we've still got a long ways to go.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on July 11th, 2013, 3:18 pm

To answer your initial question, I may be the exception. I never really drank. Im 38 now, and right on through until 33 years old, I didn't really have any alcohol. Except for a random night out once every 5 months.

In the time leading up to BFS however, I began to party like a rock star.

* Not only alcohol but a full year of Adderall (amphetamines) along with it (once or twice a week).
* Ecstasy once a month, with a grand total of about 35 uses over a couple years.
* Excessive amounts of alcohol because the adderall doubled my tolerance. whereas I used to do 5 drinks a night, I could now do 12.
* Working out like crazy, in between partying. Avoided sodium because it "retained water" (idiot). Avoided sugars because they "make you fat" (idiot). Zero electrolytes. Idiot.
* 1 gallon of water a day, to effectively drain all minerals and electrolytes from my body. Idiot.
* Constantly feeling run down, tired, never .... ever.... ever fully rested.
* Juicing on the caffeine daily because I was told that white tea was the healthiest on earth. In reality it gave me a rush very similar to the amphetamines.
* I was given a Hepatitis B Immunoglobulin shot after an exposure to a girl with Hep B
* I was given the Hepatitis B vaccine shots - three of them in the year preceding BFS. (well known to cause immune system damage)
* I traveled around the world, literally, and partied. This destroyed my body further.
* While traveling in Thailand, drunk, and on adderall, I had unprotected sex with a local girl who ended up having HIV.
* I was put on a quadruple therapy of Poison. HIV medications at doses even HIV+ people don't take. Trying to prevent infection. 10 pills a day for 30 days.
* My body crashed. Literally. I flew home and when i got off the plane I almost collapsed. The stewardess said my face was pale white with red splotches all over it.
* My throat felt like razor blades so my doctor put me on a heavy dose of antibiotics assuming infection (while on HIV meds)
* When I picked up the meds, I walked into Walgreens and a black lady looked at my face and said "Oh no...." as I walked by. Figured she could see "Death" walking behind me.
* HIV meds caused neuropathy, nerve damage, fatigue, lung inflammation, bodywide rashes, red blood cell production almost stopped. Skin pale white, then bright red with inflammation.
* I spent those 30 days with pure terror in my stomach, and my mind. Terrified of becoming HIV positive. Contemplating death. Every single hour of every day, I injected myself with adrenaline and fear.
* When the meds were done, someone graciously told me I would have to wait 6 months before I'd know I was HIV negative.
* This resulted in another 3-6 months of nonstop fear, anxiety, terror, and self induced damage to my body.
* I started getting sick. Debilitating fatigue. Crawling sensations. A random twitch or three...
* Then I did get sick. Unexplained flu. Swollen glands in groin. Doctor put me on insanely high Augmentin dose 875 MG. Full course 10 days.

Then finally ... my body gave up. Twitching everywhere. Fatigue. Damage had been done.

* Lyme test run and got false positive. I was put on heavy dose Antibiotics yet again for 16 days, then quit out of sheer exhaustion. My worst day with BFS.

This is what lead up to my BFS. If it isn't painfully obvious .... i destroyed myself. Im surprised I didn't die. I've never had "general anxiety disorder". I just literally ruined my body for 2 years. With anxiety. With fear. With health related paranoias (justified as they were). I damaged myself. Every minute of every day. Every time you get that twinge in your stomach. That shooting nervousness. You are injecting yourself with damaging chemicals. Add to that amphetamines? Ecstasy? Poisonous Antivirals known to damage Mitochondria and DNA? Damaging vaccines? Immunoglobulin shots? 12 Vodka Redbulls every week? 2 courses of antibiotcs? No salts, no sugars?

Now its time to pay the piper.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby muppetdog on July 11th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Burger -

That is and excellent and honest post man.

Wow... I mean Wow. You really pulled the life throttle full on and didn't let up.

Just out of curiosity let me ask you. How long has it been since you "toxicated" your body and then stopped? How long have you been pampering yourself with good food, proper exercised and what not? If you had to sit down and come up with all the symptoms that still really bother you after you have been trying to heal yourself, what are they? Do you think you have been getting any better?

This are just questions I ask myself a lot. I too in the past have pushed my body to the limits at times with parting, exercise and lack of rest and sleep. Mine was more of a slow smolder compared to you, lighting the whole three bags of fireworks you just purchases for $500 bucks, drenched in gasoline, on fire; but it seems the outcome is much the same. A stressor is a stressor.

Maybe we should change this topic to "Do you think Alcohol or other substance has lead to your symptoms."

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BFSBurger on July 11th, 2013, 8:12 pm

muppetdog wrote:How long has it been since you "toxicated" your body and then stopped?

I stopped all punishment of my body, lets say October 1, 2012.
BFS began September 27, 2012.
I went from October to January scrambling to find an explanation for my suffering.
Trying to devise a game plan to stop it. Reverse it.
I began taking steps Dec 1 (physical therapy), and began to feel better for the first time at Christmas.
I relapsed a few times between Jan and February.
Primarily because my food intake wasn't fixed yet.
In February I identified all my trigger foods after a long, arduous, methodical process, and began eliminating them.
On February 21 I placed my first order with Paleo On the Go because I simply could not do paleo myself, as a single guy.

So the punishment ended Oct 1, 2012.
The lifestyle adjustments began around Christmas. Began feeling better.
The diet change began basically March 1.
By March 30 I was feeling like a new man.

How long have you been pampering yourself with good food, proper exercised and what not?

Consistently, both of these? If I picked a date I would say March 1, 2013.

If you had to sit down and come up with all the symptoms that still really bother you after you have been trying to heal yourself, what are they?

Lets put it this way. As long as I stick to my regimen, I am back to normal. Seriously.
The only symptoms I still have are:
* After working out (MILD!!!!!!!!) I will have an afternoon of both euphoric endorphins saturating my body, and slightly noticeable jiggles in various places.
* The next morning this is gone. The most I get are "flutters" now and then. Don't even notice.
* I do have very strange bouts of extreme depression that hit me around 9pm some nights. I have even found myself crying. Or praying. I don't know if its related to my current "situation" in life, or some strange drop in endorphins / neuroendocrines / dopamine / serotonin ... but its a pretty deep, dark depression I get sometimes. It fades by morning. I suppose if there was anything that is bothersome, its this. And I dont even know if its related to BFS.

Literally, that is it. I don't have any other symptoms. At all. None. Zero. Zilch.

Muscle pain - Gone
Severe Joint Pains - Gone
Nerve Damage Pain - Gone
Unexplained Migraines - Gone
Spinal Pain - Gone
Cramped Calf - Gone
Neuropathy in Foot - Gone
Sleep issues - Gone (thank god)
Tension & Agitation - Gone
Fatigue - Gone
Temp Sensitivity - Gone
Exercise Intolerance - Gone

Now ... if I don't stick to my regimen?
* Roughly two weeks of no working out, and the muscle aching begins to surface. Twitching begins to happen more often. Calf muscle starts to tighten up a little.
* If I have an episode of pure terror again / sheer anxiety / hours of emotional turmoil for whatever reason .... I can re-initiate the fatigue, weakness, and just "lay myself out" (we discussed this in another thread).
Two weeks ago I did this and spent about 6 days recuperating. Sleeping nonstop. Waiting for this, whatever it is, to pass again.
But this is 1 thousand percent preventable.

If I stick to my regimen I am at 99%.

Do you think you have been getting any better?

Like night and day. I actually have some hope that maybe, since this has been whittled down to such a "trickle" ... maybe one day it will actually "turn off". Those pesky jiggles just don't seem to want to fade.
But I keep remembering what I read about the adrenal thing. It can take 6 months to a year or longer *OF TOTAL ABSENCE OF STRAIN ON THE BODY* for that system to heal.
Dont know if its true, but it sounds about right, and either way .... I will proceed with that as my game plan going forward.
Nothing will ruin your progress like
1) Any tension stress or anxiety about your health. You might as well forget it. Dont even bother eating right. As long as you have *any* concerns in your mind.... or the gut of your stomach about your health, you are perpetuating your sickness. That must be eliminated. You must be able to walk outside, and literally feel a sense of peace, and well-being about everything around you.

Once you get to that stage .... keep yourself there .... dont do anything which will compromise that mental stability. Then go eat right, and exercise (mild!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap people - stop running 26 KM per week ... crazy...)

Maybe we should change this topic to "Do you think Alcohol or other substance has lead to your symptoms."

Sorry for the hijack. Hope people will chime in regarding their alcohol use.

-Burger-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby twitchinjohnny on July 20th, 2013, 8:03 pm

This is an excellent topic. Thanks for starting this thread, and to all who share their experiences.

Before I noticed twitching in calfs a little over a year ago, I'd been dealing with bouts of numbness, tingling, pain and other abnormal sensations in my feet, hands, arms, legs, and just about everywhere else. These episodes of paraesthesia have come and gone over the years and have varied in intensity. I had an MRI of my cervical spine in March of 2012. My neurologist said that this test showed no evidence of MS. While that was a big relief, I'm still left to wonder what's going on. Since then, I've also been doing a B-12 supplement as my doctor said that my blood levels were on the edge of abnormally low.

I have a long history of being somewhat of a social boozer and at times a binge drinker. I also smoked cigarettes for about 30 years. (I quit nine years ago, thank God!) I'm sure that these two vices have done some real damage over the years to the tiny little blood vessels that supply the peripheral nerves; and directly to the nerves themselves. Add to that a few years of rising blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar (not diabetic yet) and I think you have a recipe for neurological mayhem.

So now, at age 53, I'm struggling with a new and more intense bout of neuropathic pain in my feet and hands.... in addition to all of the twitches that I've developed over the past 14 months! Like most folks who've painted their butts into a corner..... I've found religion perhaps a bit too late. My religion now is: lose weight, exercise daily, low carb, low fat, high fiber diet, lose the booze, and take the right supplements.

More than one neurologist has told me that peripheral nerves can do some amazing healing if and when one effectively addresses the underlying cause of their demise. Losing weight, controlling cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar, attenuating alcohol intake and getting regular exercise are the ingredients to a successful battle plan against nerve damage.

Good luck! I look forward to reading your posts on this topic!

John
Last edited by twitchinjohnny on July 21st, 2013, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you're going through hell, keep going!"
Sir Winston Churchill
twitchinjohnny
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 20th, 2013, 9:43 pm

twitchinjohnny, are you a vegetarian? I'm asking because of your B12 being low. Our bodies make vitamin B12 mostly from the proteins we get from our meat, which is why vegetarians are typically low in B12. If you are not a vegetarian and are still low on B12, you may be suffering from a similar condition that my wife developed after giving birth to our 2nd child. For some reason she started experiencing issues in breaking proteins down, so she got really low on B12. A doctor might see low B12 and easily think that you just need a supplement. To correct the underlying problem though you have to ask, why is the B12 low? Again, if its just a lack of protein in the diet then it's easy. If you are getting protein and you still have low B12 there is something else going on. My wife's was easy enough to fix with a chlorophyll dietary supplement along with some acupressure treatments. Sure enough her levels came back up at her next checkup without ever having taken a B12 supplement. I just wanted to throw this out there as a suggestion to look into.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby twitchinjohnny on July 21st, 2013, 8:56 am

Hello, SecretAgentMan.....

Thank you for your concern and for your very thoughtful reply!

I've never been a vegetarian. As a matter of fact, I've probably consumed a whole lot more red meat than one rightfully should in one lifetime! (During the 60's and 70's, when I was growing-up, nobody..... including health care professionals..... seemed to be too concerned or aware of the hazards of excessive beef consumption!) Right now, I'm trying to cut down on red meat, and to eat more fish and lean poultry for reasons of cholesterol control.

I didn't mention the fact that I've been a long-time sufferer of chronic gastritis and esophagitis. Over the years I've addressed this problem (under my doctor's supervision) with everything from Maalox to proton pump inhibitors. This digestive issue could very well be at the root of, or at least contributing to my low B-12 levels. A better diet and less alcohol and caffeine would certainly be a smarter approach to working on this problem, I must admit. I currently don't take anything like Nexium or Prevacid because my symptoms are bearable, and I don't think that it's too good an idea to be on those meds indefinitely. They can create new and different problems of their own, like..... an overgrowth of undesirable flora in the gut.

Anyhow, thanks again for sharing your insight and your's and your wife's experiences with me. The dialogue is very helpful and much appreciated!

Cheers!

John
Sir Winston Churchill
twitchinjohnny
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby muppetdog on July 21st, 2013, 12:27 pm

Twitchinjohnny -

I bet SAM will tell you the same thing, but low B12 with digestion issues probably means some sort of malformation going on. Your body is not getting what it needs.

Check out this thread about the diet people are talking about trying:

http://www.aboutbfs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19433

I changed my diet once upon a time because of honorably GERD. I don't have that anymore. But I try to stay away from grains and sugars like the plague. I will have a cupcake binger every once in a while, but, cupcakes rock.

A lot of people on these board have had troubles with proton pump inhibitors and h2 histamine blockers. They could swear up and down that they got their symptoms from taking them. I know that they can leach magnesium out of your system and you have to take extra when on the. I had tried them back when I was having GRED problems and they did not really help and I am not a real fan.

You might want to try a paleo type diet for 30 days and see what that does. It's kind of a pain in the ass but you get use to it in a week or so.

Here are a couple links to the prominent Paleo peoples' sites. The first one is the guy that invented the diet:

http://thepaleodiet.com/
http://robbwolf.com/shop/products/the-paleo-solution-the-original-human-diet/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com
http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/

You might be able to get rid of all your symptoms with your diet. Maybe.

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby twitchinjohnny on July 22nd, 2013, 5:53 am

Hello, muppetdog....

Thanks for the reply and the diet info! I will check out the links that you included, for sure. I, too, am currently avoiding sugars and grains. I've lost 13 pounds over the past two months, which is a good thing! If I can lose 15 more, I'll be where I should be. I wish I had come to my senses about all of this stuff long ago! When we're young and heathy, we tend to feel invincible. By the time we reach middle age, most of us are bound to be living with some kind of condition. But.... a lot of this stuff is avoidable if one takes better care of themselves. What we choose to consume is the most basic and important part of it!

Thanks again....

John
Sir Winston Churchill
twitchinjohnny
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS