BFS soon after electrical injury? Please read!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: BFS soon after electrical injury? Please read!

Postby yaumno on July 18th, 2013, 11:20 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:Have you considered trying acupuncture? It is often overlooked and undervalued, but I found it to be incredibly beneficial. I had the racheting muscle sensation you speak of. I would notice it when I would yawn and stretch in the mornings the most. Also the quick back and forth movment when brushing my teeth made it very apparent. Otherwise I could almost try to ignore it through the day. The racheting symptom was one of the first to go when I changed my diet and took out inflammatory foods. Acupuncture was also a critical role in my recovery. I haven't had the racheting movement sensation since 2010, but I remember it well. It was one of the more scary symptoms I had.

Although we all have slightly different stories as to how these symptoms just showed up one day, my acupuncturist now had a really good analogy that made a lot of sense to me. He said our bodies are constantly adapting to the stress, toxins, and abuse we subject them to day in and day out. The often adapt to allow us to keep on feeling good, but not all adaptations are for our overall health benefit. He compared the body's tollerance threshold for stress, toxins, and abuse as an empty glass. As we subject it to more and more and it goes on adapting and putting up with everything the glass begins to fill up. One day we reach the point where the water begins to overflow because the tollerance threshold has been reached. We can no longer adapt to feel fine any longer and something has to give. Physical symptoms begin to manifest. We are suddenly aware there is a problem, but the truth is it has been in the works for years. When he works on me, he is working to address the many adaptations that were made and tries to resolve them healthily so that the water level can lower. As inflammation and sources of stress are removed the physical manifestations (symptoms) diminish as well.

Actually yeah, I tried acupuncture for about two months from two reputable acupuncturists here in Taipei. The sessions were typically a 30 minute massage (Chinese massage so it's kind of rough..) followed by an hour of needle acupuncture. I went pretty often, about three times a week, because acupuncture is available and inexpensive here in Asia.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice any changes in the symptoms so I discontinued the treatments in June.
Tempus edax rerum: "Time devours all things" - Ovid from "Metamorphoses"
yaumno
Interested
Interested

Postby yaumno on July 19th, 2013, 12:18 am

muppetdog wrote:yaumno -

Just for logic sake lets sum up before you jump of the "BFS," Neuromyotonia, other cliff :)

You're 24 and lift weights like a normal 24 year old. About 5-6 times a week.

You don't abuse alcohol.

On March 17th you received 110v through a light socket.

You experienced numbness and tingling in your right forearm and hand from the shock. Along with this, you had a great deal of pain running down your arms. Your Dr prescribed vitamin B12, and Prednisolone (were you low on B12?) Are you still on those?

You felt anxious about hour health after that. Who wouldn't? You just got shocked.

The numbness and tingling went away in two days. That's good.

You started to experience "ratcheting" (not cogwheel rigidity) 4 days after the incident. After a week it was occurring all over your body. Was this after the vitamin B12 and the Prednisolone?

(Its a good thing you did ratcheting tests on your friends so you have something to go off of. Is yours that much worse than what you found in others?)

The Doctors ruled out MND with an ENG, MRI, blood tests, and SEP.

You tried a whole slew of Psychoactive drugs. They did not relieve the ratcheting. But after the alprazolam you had some fasciculations that lasted only a couple days.

You have never had nor are currently diagnosed with anxiety (other than being "worried" about what's going on with you) or GAD.

You have eczema, which you should not read too much into that being involved. Does it show a predisposition to autoimmunity? You don't even know if the ratcheting is autoimmune related. That's a leap.

So in the last 4 months since the electric injury you received, you have subjected yourself to a lot of health anxiety (again, who wouldn't), and numerous medications.

You still have the ratcheting and pain.

You don't have: fasciculations, cramping, buzzing, vibrations, burning, tingling (other than for a couple days), or anything other than pain and ratcheting.

Has the pain and ratcheting been getting any better?

Are you able to still lift weights and, other than experiencing your symptoms, live a normal life?

Just some food for thought before you get going on too many tangents and searches for diseases.

MD

This has been my daily regimen for the last two weeks:
10mg of Lexapro (Escitalopram, 1 tablet in the morning)
1500 mcg of Methycobalamin (B12, 1 capsule 3 times daily)

The neurologist prescribed Methylcobalamin because it is one of the first line treatments for peripheral neuropathy. He said that it, "supports general nerve health." I did some research and it has a great safety profile - very few, if any, side effects in most individuals. I have been taking this supplement continuously since the accident, however I did stop for 1 week to see if perhaps the huge dose of B12 was causing the ratcheting. After seven days without the B12 there was no improvement so I started taking it again.

I took the Prednisolone for two weeks, I have taken this in the past for Eczema and had no side effects.

Yes the ratcheting began about 2-3 days after I started taking the B12 and Prednisolone. Also, yes, my ratcheting is much worse than what I can see and feel in other people. Mine occurs during more degrees of the range of motion and I cannot prevent it. It is also very consistent and does not change depending on time of day/activities.

I agree with you that autoimmunity is a leap - it would be a coincidence of great magnitude for an autoimmune disease to just happen to present simultaneously with the electrical injury.

During the weeks immediately following the injury, after the numbness subsided and the ratcheting began, there was a period of intense pain in both arms that was quite unbearable. The Imipramine (antidepressant) quickly relieved this pain, and now that I have tapered off of it the pain has returned. However, what I am experiencing now is perhaps half of what it was originally. The ratcheting has not really changed at all. It is still just as present as it was a week after the shock.

Despite this I have been able to lead a relatively normal life. I still go to the gym even though it is frustrating to ratchet the whole time, and I haven't really missed any work because of this.

Thanks for the questions and information guys, it's good to have thoughts from people who have experienced this too.
yaumno
Interested
Interested

Postby Yuliasir on July 19th, 2013, 1:01 am

Hi Spenser,
I am not sure if you have any GAD at all first. But looks like you definitely expreience some after-stress reaction. Because you were asking' how it could be that before I sustained much strogner stresses without it', I told you that stress reaction developes at the same way as other disorders with pretty clear bilolgical background - diabets or thyroid issues for example.
changes caused by stress factors in your body could be cumulative and pop up suddenly after relatively moderate trigger.

You refer to your young age as a protection from any possible reactions like that, which made me laugh a bit. This site is full of stories from people at 19 to 30 who suddenly, being pretty healty and often athletic, become a real wrecks, felt into obsessions etc. 2/3 of mood disorder manifest at the age between 20 and 30th, in the most fruitful year, and almost all manifestations are acute, and almost always there is a stress trigger behind (with a lot of such or even bigger stressors occured before). So you might be of that type. Or you might not be. I am not your doctor, I just can tell you how it happens in other people in the similar way.

I think you may stay on the solid fact that you do not have physical neuronal and muscular damage (as this is proven by neurophysiological tests, as far as I understand) and consider that time would heal you which of course I wish to you from the heart.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby muppetdog on July 19th, 2013, 11:48 am

I think you may stay on the solid fact that you do not have physical neuronal and muscular damage (as this is proven by neurophysiological tests, as far as I understand) and consider that time would heal you which of course I wish to you from the heart.

Wise words, that's what my vote is, also.

Keep your exercise routine going, give it time, time, time. Keep a healthy diet, and find some time for some healthy mind space, just to let it all go. Meditation is pretty good.

You might see if you can get a hold of Chrissi, I think she had a ton of ratcheting and now it's gone. She would be a good source to talk to.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby florian_ on October 23rd, 2013, 11:25 am

Hello,

first let me tell you that i feel with you and i know how hard times can be, if we fear for our health.

I will try to answer some of your questions to charm away some of your worries.

The parts of my body, where i was suffering very severe (parkinson-like) from "ratchering" (but not ony from that):

Shoulders: if i was lifting up my shoulders, it goes smooth, but when i let them down, the are really ratchering down, in steps, not only unsmooth but completely like a cascade......

Lower back: if i stand, maybe in front if a table to washing up my dishes, and had to grap for something...when i let down my lumbar region.....the same very hard ratchering.

You have to know, that i do sports for decades bevor, knowing my body very well und my smoothnes where cat-style bevore, i was realy frightened and shocked at this time because my smoothness where totaly gone away..

This started suddenly with full force and lastes until it subsided and than went away compledly.

In thee days i where in danger to loose everything because the fear take total control over my whole life.

You can see all the scary posts from me here (had two names Florian and florian_), my first post was 10 years ago!!:
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=florian&start=90

What i can tell you is, that everything is connected with hard stress - mentaly and physical - for me and also for the most of us, if we notice this stress or not.

today iam fine but from time to time, it flare up and for some weeks, one morning i get the same old ratchering.....some days later hard twitches in calves and two hotspots on tumb and first finger, and what followed? same old hard fear for two days. I let it go and the ratchering is gone.

Stress trigger this stuff and fear fix it and make it worse.
First i learned to notice when i get overstressed.

Since 3 Years i changed my job, work now as acupuncturist in berlin and see some more cases.
I beleave that we are just mor sensitve than others.

I am shure what helped me was "relaxing my liver-qi and eleminate internal wind". You could ask an acupuncturist for that syndroms. I know you try it before, but maybe you look for another one.

Me helped also to go on, dont mind of all the symptoms, and i had a lot and hard.....i take fish-oil and omega3 for protect the nerves....do sport and try get enaugh sleep....some VitE, Magnesium a.o. stuff.

So i can tell you: yes it can go like it come and it can come back and goes away again.....go on with your life. We are just BSF-People

If you have more Questions, i will try my best to answer them, but sorry for my very limited english.

Hope that calmes you down a bit.

Regards Florian
10 year-journey with BFS. Maybe it answers some of your questions and ease you mind ;-)

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=Florian&start=90
florian_

Postby yaumno on November 24th, 2013, 5:50 am

Hello everyone,

I wanted to post an update about my condition because it seems to be worsening and I really need some advice.

So over the last few months I have been having increasingly powerful and frequent fasciculations. These started a few months after the electrical shock but they have been getting worse and worse since then. What disturbs me the most is that they are especially frequent and intense in my right arm - the one that sustained the shock. This association between the location of the shock and the location of the most intense/frequent fasciculations makes me really worried that the twitching is a direct result of the electrical accident.

Further, about 4 months after the shock I began to feel that my right hand was "different," "stiff," or "heavy." This stayed mild for a while but in the last few months and weeks it has gotten more and more pronounced. Right now it is pretty bad - my right hand feels clumsy and weak all of the time. I don't see any visible muscle wasting and I don't have any true objective loss of strength but something is definitely very wrong. When I use my fingers they feel as if they will fail under the pressure I apply to them. However I can still push on the end of my fingertips and hold them up against a lot of force.

I am also having very noticeable tingling in my right forearm and my right calf. It is very stable and doesn't come and go under different circumstances. However, I don't have any loss of skin sensation or numbness.

Within the last two weeks I have been having really bad muscle cramping in my right calf and right hand and forearm. It occurs pretty consistently and is quite painful. If I stretch of massage the muscle I can get it to go away but it returns quickly. The muscle cramping is especially frightening because it is a new development.

I had another EMG test performed 6 months after my electric shock and it returned normal results again. I just can't shake the feeling that my condition is deteriorating and that these symptoms seem an awful lot like the beginnings of MND - something that is documented to have happened following electric shocks.

The muscle ratcheting and fine tremors in my hands/fingers have remained constant as well.

If you have any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or questions then please let me know. It's been very hard to deal with this while living in a foreign country and I need to talk to someone else for another viewpoint. The doctors know what they're doing, but I just feel like perhaps I should be doing some treatment to try and arrest the progression of this condition.

Sincerely,
Spencer
yaumno
Interested
Interested

Postby shell67 on November 24th, 2013, 8:43 am

Spencer,

I'm not sure I can offer any great advice beyond what you've already received from the vets here. I can only sympathize, as my symptoms are similar. Last week I marched back to the neuro because the muscle shakiness (physiological tremor?) in my left bicep was really bothering me. I've had pins and needles, burning nerve sensation, numbness (like the feeling you get after you have your blood pressure taken) -- all in that left arm, and for no apparent reason (I didn't sustain an injury or pinch a nerve). On top of that lots of twitching in that arm. My doctor attributes all of it to BFS, and he was really only interested in whether or not I had lost strength in that arm -- and thankfully, I haven't. He could have cared less about the twitching or shaking. But like you, I've been troubled that my arm doesn't seem like it's getting better. My left hand has also *felt* weak, stiff, just plain weird. The doctor suggested a beta blocker, but I tried it once and was so tired from it I couldn't function. And I have a baby and cannot afford to sleep the day away! So I've been ignoring my arm and guess what -- the twitching and odd sensations haven't bothered me that much the last few days.

I know you'd like answers, but in truth, this may be one of those situations where your body needs time to heal from whatever trauma your nervous system has undergone. Be grateful -- very grateful -- that you have no weakness. That seems to be the only thing the neurologists really look for. You've had a clean EMG, and that really does rule out anything sinister.

I hope you feel better soon.

Michele
shell67

Postby yaumno on December 3rd, 2013, 8:36 am

Thanks for the kind words shell67. I'm glad to hear that you are noticing your symptoms less. It's really hard when you are experiencing neurological symptoms and no one can give you a clear answer as to whether they are organic or psychological in nature. I know it's not their fault but it does make me slightly angry when neurologists ignore symptoms that are seen as "less serious" even though they are very distressing to the patient.

In other news, I wanted to let you guys know that I just got back the results from my MEP (motor evoked potentials) test. There was an abnormality present but the doctors are not quite sure what to make of it. They are pretty sure that I have an upper motor neuron lesion of some sort (affecting the motor neurons in the brain, not the spinal cord), but there is no way to determine the possible prognosis of such a lesion. Basically I just have to wait, keep myself healthy, and hope that the problem is non-progressive or eventually resolves.

The actual verbiage from the report is as follows: "The MEP study shows 1) prolonged central conduction time between the left cortex and the right C7 region 2) minimal prolongation of central conduction time between the left cortex and right L5 region. These findings are not incompatible with a lesion above the lower cervical cord region."

My symptoms from the shock are on the right side of my body which corresponds to the problems in conduction with the left cortex (because the left brain controls the ride side of the body and vice versa).
yaumno
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Experiences with BFS