Constant eyelid twitching

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Constant eyelid twitching

Postby Neecie on July 10th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Has anyone experienced a constant eyelid twitch as a hotspot? My eyelid has been twitching non stop for a month, and doesn't seem to be slowing down. It is so constant that I always feel like I have something in it, and it impedes my vision. I am starting to wonder if it is a BFS thing, or if I should actually see an eye doctor.
Neecie

Re: Constant eyelid twitching

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 10th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Yes, years ago I experienced a horrible eyelid twitch that nearly drove me mad. What ended up being my trigger threw me for a loop too. I always carried my cell phone in my pocket or in a holder attached to my belt. It was on me pretty much all day. As a result of my overactive immune system I had developed a minor electromagnetic allergy. I don't know if it was the lithium-ion batter or the little microwave emitter, but once I stopped carrying it the eyelid twitches started to reduce within a few days. I still had the eyelid twitches since we live in such a technological society (you can't really avoid that kind of stuff) but not having it up against my body all day did help. I'm not saying this is your trigger, but don't discount it as a possibility.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Neecie on July 10th, 2013, 8:41 pm

That is definitely a plausible theory. I have been wondering for awhile if all of this technology is contributing to the constant twitching. More specifically the smart meters that are being attached to all our residences. The eye thing is truly driving me crazy and has me slightly paranoid. It has by been my longest run in one spot.
Neecie

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 10th, 2013, 9:26 pm

I went to an alternative medicine doctor when my gp and neurologist offered me no solutions or answers. Many people seem happy to have more sinister conditions ruled out, which I'll admit I was too, but I found it unacceptable to be left with no answers or explanations beyond that. I had to try something, so I figured I'd try the alternative path. I was very skeptical at first as I was outside of my comfort zone with some of the things they did differently from what I was used to. I wanted to give it a fair shot though because I knew I had already exhausted my other options. When the diet suggestions they made actually helped me feel better they started to gain my trust. I slowly got immersed in more of the concepts and philosophies for how they do things differently. This ultimately lead to me completely turning around my condition and making a dramatic recovery. I still stick around the board to share my experiences with others willing to listen.

So one of the things that I experienced with my bout with BFS was that I developed numerous new hyper-sensitivities and even allergies to foods I had always been fine with, personal care products I had used for years, and even environmental factors such as the electromagnetic sensitivity to my cell phone. I had to switch laundry detergents to the natural ones like Tide Free and Clear or 7th Generation. The skin is after all the largest organ of the body and it absorbs things constantly (otherwise nicotine patches wouldn't work). Dryer sheets and fabric softeners were bad for me too. I learned that you could develop a sensitivity or allergy to just about anything, and I had developed many.

Try avoiding your cell phone as much as possible and don't carry it on you. That may be your trigger as it was for mine. I also noticed that my eye would twitch when I would carry our point and shoot camera, which also had a lithium ion battery, so that may have been the culprit. Try it as best you can for at least a week to see how things go. Avoid having a tablet PC or laptop on your lap as well. You may want to look into the laundry detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheet stuff as well. I know it can be overwhelming and intimidating but I don't think my case was an isolated incident. An anti-inflammatory diet will likely benefit you as well.

The good news is that none of these sensitivities or allergies are permanent. There are actually techniques based in acupuncture that can eliminate allergies, but you have to do some healing first. I've written numerous posts on the subject. Good luck.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Neecie on July 11th, 2013, 9:14 am

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try them, and will also check out your other posts regarding diet, etc.
Neecie

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 11th, 2013, 10:03 am

Always feel free to PM if you have questions, comments, or winning lottery numbers. :)
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on July 15th, 2013, 9:13 am

Eyelid is where my BFS started, and it was solid for a couple months. It went away and then returned on several occasions, lasting different periods of time each instance. I've also been in contact with many others over the years who've been through the same experience as us. Anxiety is a big trigger for eyelid twitches, as is common with BFS in general, and I don't believe diet to play much of a role based on my experience and what I've heard, but there are so many potential factors its difficult to tell. My bet is that it will subside sooner if you stop letting it bother you so much....easier said then done, I know. :)
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on July 15th, 2013, 7:04 pm

johnnythejet wrote:I don't believe diet to play much of a role based on my experience and what I've heard

Strange, are we reading the same forum? From what I've heard, among those who truly did a Paleo style anti-inflammatory diet change that lasted several months, those individuals (with bodywide BFS + neurological and sensory symptoms at least) are finding relief.

Calming emotional stress, which you advocate, is identical to calming physical stress on the body. Its the release of stress hormones. Certain foods have been proven to be inflammatory. They put heavy strain on the Gut. The gut has been proven to affect the CNS, Immune system, Stress Hormones, and every process in the body. Those with full blown BFS have a much more sensitive barometer for stress. Calming the body is an outstanding way to reduce the release of stress hormones. BFS may be an "exhausted system", overall. Its only logical that it needs to rest. Anti-inflammatory foods, lack of caffeine, a significantly toned-down workout regimen, lack of stress, and improved rest. These aren't different things. They all have exactly the same beneficial effect on the body.

Therefore someone who advocates dietary changes, is advocating the same thing as someone who advocates "not letting it bother you".

To the OP: You aren't to the point where your system is taxed to the max. Still, the solution for you would be the same. Focus on fully resting up. Taking care of yourself. Eating right. Avoiding junk foods. Avoid caffeine as much as possible (entirely if possible). Sugars, etc. There are shades of gray with the body. One may never progress to BFS if one stops promoting inflammation and disease all levels. Physical, Dietary, and Emotional. Bottom line: Stress is the precursor to most disease, because it promotes inflammation. Inflammation is the precursor to nearly every disease in the book. Proven fact.

Any steps you take to reduce it from any angle, will promote better health.

-Burger-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on July 15th, 2013, 8:36 pm

BFSBurger wrote:
johnnythejet wrote:I don't believe diet to play much of a role based on my experience and what I've heard

Strange, are we reading the same forum? From what I've heard, among those who truly did a Paleo style anti-inflammatory diet change that lasted several months, those individuals (with bodywide BFS + neurological and sensory symptoms at least) are finding relief.

Nothing strange about it at all. The forum topics will draw in those who seem to match experiences but those who have other experiences tend to refrain from posting. Also, "what I've heard" comes from several years of conversations over PM and outside communication, as opposed to less than one year.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby bobajojo on July 15th, 2013, 8:55 pm

I agree with Johnny. I tried the diet thing with absolutely no success whatsoever so I refrain from responding to diet related posts. Didn't work for me but that's my personal experience. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on July 15th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Again, I would wonder exactly how in-depth the diet changes were, how strictly they were adhered to, exactly what they consisted of, and most importantly - how long it was adhered to. I doubt many here realize what I have been doing for the last 6 months, day in, and day out. Meticulous trial and error. Testing foods and documenting their effects. Eliminating trigger foods one by one. Researching anti inflammatory foods and documenting their benefits. Testing, and retesting my intake of nearly everything. Compiling a list of what causes no reaction and what does. The effort involved has been tremendous, and I honestly find it hard to believe that anyone else has gone this route. Usually those who have, post that they have (SAM, Aztwitchy, LaurentCH). The rest who claim they tried and it didnt work? Im skeptical that they did anything close to what is necessary. But I'm putting in all this effort so others don't have to. I want to help people here if I can. So maybe in the end I have a list, and they dont have to go through all these steps.

A lot of people claim they've tried a lot of things, but if they're honest about it, its often wasn't done correctly, nor for long enough. How many people could possibly stand to eliminate *all* caffeine, all processed sugars, all junk food, all cookies, pastas, dairy, and breads? Consistently, Daily, for months on end, without so much as a slice of bread, or a cup of coffee? Very few. So when I hear someone flippantly state that they "tried that and it didn't work", I am very skeptical.

Either way, enough people have commented that lifestyle and diet changes have profoundly benefited their symptoms in the last several months already, so I think its pretty clear that its legit. If someone truly believe that reducing stress helps at all, then avoiding inflammatory foods, stimulants, and modifying lifestyle behaviors is the same exact thing. Whether it helps is always a question of how long it was implemented, and how severe the individual is. For someone with just an eyelid twitch, a couple nights of rest will probably cure them. For someone with bodywide twitching who continued to eat poorly for years after it began, it may take a mininum of a year to start seeing results. One of the websites I run is on the topic of hair loss. Nearly every day for the last 13 years I've had to listen to people who claim they tried "X" treatment and it "didnt work". Without fail, if they're honest, we find out that these individuals did it wrong, or didn't do it long enough.

Just like with an emotional crisis, I think most people here will agree that if they ingest certain things (caffeine, etc), twitching gets worse. Given that statement, the inverse of that: the claim that "changing what you ingest doesn't help" is of course, therefore false. In any case, I'm thankful for the new crop of people here who are willing to try these things, and are reporting success.

-Burger-

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby christo on July 16th, 2013, 12:46 am

I agree with Johnny. I tried the diet thing with absolutely no success whatsoever so I refrain from responding to diet related posts. Didn't work for me but that's my personal experience. -Matt

I also refrain from posting on diet topics (and all controversial topics). I have not tested any special diet because I think I already have a well balanced one and dont want to mess it up.
I can also confirm that diet changes have been reported to not work (at least for now) on the french part of this board from those who tried (gatorade, water, gluten and so on...).
christo
Hero
Hero

Postby BFSBurger on July 16th, 2013, 1:38 am

christo wrote:I also refrain from posting on diet topics (and all controversial topics). I have not tested any special diet because I think I already have a well balanced one and dont want to mess it up.
I can also confirm that diet changes have been reported to not work (at least for now) on the french part of this board from those who tried (gatorade, water, gluten and so on...).

I don't know what forums you are reading, but you're obviously ignoring posts by numerous people reporting the very opposite.

What is the purpose of intentionally ignoring the positive posts, and instead just drawing attention to some vague, unverified, negative posts?

All that will do is discourage people from trying. Therefore such negativity is actually harming people here. Especially when you have seen positive reports, over and over, with your own eyes.

If you have an issue with me (which 2 of the 3 above have established many times), please don't harm others just because you don't like me.

We should all be here to help. Let's focus on those who are reporting success instead. And for those who claim to have none, let's discuss exactly what they did, how long they did it, and what might have been improved?

Gatorade is not even 1/100th of the dietary change. Nor is "water". More importantly, this isn't just about dietary change. Its a whole lifestyle change. As Chrissi, and Mario, and several others have pointed out many times.

I really don't understand people on this forum sometimes. So much focus on futility and negativity.

Note: Even people with full-blown, diagnosed Neuromyotonia on the Isaacs boards report that certain food intake drastically affects the severity of their symptoms. So I apologize, but I am just not buying that food has "no bearing" on BFS. Even the naysayers above would likely agree that certain things make their symptoms worse. Coffee is a perfect example. Yet the removal of such things does nothing? I would encourage you to have a hot fudge sunday, a couple cups of coffee, 10 cookies, and a large pizza, a beer, and some McDonalds. Then tell me your BFS symptoms didn't change at all in the hours afterwards.

That, of course, is nonsense.

Again, I would wonder exactly how in-depth the diet changes were, how strictly they were adhered to, exactly what they consisted of, and most importantly - how long it was adhered to. The effort involved has been tremendous, and I honestly find it hard to believe that anyone else has gone this route. Usually those who have, post that they have (SAM, Aztwitchy, LaurentCH). The rest who claim they tried and it didnt work? Im skeptical that they did anything close to what is necessary.

Either way, enough people have commented that lifestyle and diet changes have profoundly benefited their symptoms in the last several months already, so I think its pretty clear that its legit.

-Burger-

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby bobajojo on July 16th, 2013, 6:08 am

Haha, wait a minute... so you're telling us you have the answer to cure our twitching and if anyone responds to tell you that they've tried it and it didn't work then they didn't do it right and are being flippant? I've been on this forum for over 2 years and when you say "numerous people" report, you are referring to a very very small percent (like only a handful) of the nearly 5,000 people who have joined this forum. So, I'm reading the same forum as Johnny and Christo and I agree with them. I wasn't being flippant Burger but BFS takes all different shapes and forms and to say that diet is the answer for everyone is just being irresponsible.

For the record, I don't know if you were referring to me when you said 2 of the 3 posters above have established a problem with you but I hope you are not referring to me because I have always been respectful to you Burger. If not, then please point me to a post where I haven't. I just disagree with your diet theory. I don't have any triggers, my twitching goes nonstop no matter what I eat. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby christo on July 16th, 2013, 7:26 am

Burger,

I was not saying the diet can't make someone's symptoms better or worse. I was actually saying the following facts :
- some people here have tried diet changes without success (doesn't mean it will be true for everyone, it's just a fact)
- some people here, including me, do not comments on diet topics, especially to let people try what they want and see if it works. So when you say numerous people reported it works, keep in mind numerous people stay quiet while it doesn't work for them.

You seem to have an issue with people who don't think the same way you do.
I can understand that diet could help some of us. Could you please try to understand that diet changes doesn't help all of us ?
christo
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics