Fears of MS, Looking for Reassurance

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Fears of MS, Looking for Reassurance

Postby tenthousanddays on June 30th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but have lurked, searched, and tried to inform myself over the past few months. In short, I am a healthy 26 year old male with diagnosed mild general/health anxiety. I have feared MS for almost a year now, mainly because of an odd finger tremor in my left index finger. I do see a therapist, and I occasionally take lorazepam (prescribed "as needed" which equates to about once every two weeks). I'm looking for reassurance that nothing is wrong with me, and that I likely have BFS which explains most, if not all, of my symptoms.

A few key facts:
I have been to my doctor twice and shown him video of the tremor on my phone. He has reassured me that while, yes, it is odd, it is not anything to worry about. I spoke to a PA friend about it who said the same thing. My therapist has told me the same things. I had bloodwork done--completely normal. I have had two physical exams--completely normal. Physical exam for carpal tunnel--completely normal.

New Symptoms:
A left hand index finger side to side tremor only when pointed straight out for about a year (sort of like chrissi's video but not even close to as bad and does not tremor except in a specific position)
Sensation of coolness, slight tingling, like a feather being drawn across left index finger knuckle
Occasional right pinky, right index, or left ring finger tremor
Occasionally my hands will feel shaky
Worse when physically hot, after exercise, or when nervous (why I fear MS)
Not nearly as noticeable when cool, relaxed, or not thinking about fears/BFS, i.e. in some ways it "comes and goes"
It does not improve with alcohol and is entirely postural, no resting tremor
I have not noticed any major progression over the past year
I have no other symptoms and lead an active lifestyle playing sports, etc.
My balance is fine
No eyesight symptoms

Symptoms I have had since I can remember:
Twitching in calves, thighs, and buttocks off and on daily
Occasional twitching of fingers
I can make my feet cramp at any time
I can my make calves cramp at almost any time
My eyes flutter when closed

I don't honestly believe I have MS or anything major wrong with me, but the anxiety persists, and I think it's somewhat likely I have a mild case of BFS. Any thoughts? Any advice? Thanks in advance, and I hope this is in the right place (if not, mods please feel free to move it.)
tenthousanddays

Re: Fears of MS, Looking for Reassurance

Postby tastemaker on June 30th, 2013, 11:48 pm

Thanks for taking the time to share your story. Everything sounds like BFS to me. I used to get a lot of those finger twitches and tremors. Though they can be more unnerving than other twitches, rest assured that it is nothing that falls outside of the BFS spectrum. And symptoms getting "Worse when physically hot, after exercise, or when nervous" are all very common for many people with BFS. I have had similar experiences in the past.

As far as advice, I would paint in broad strokes by suggesting self-work to better understand and reduce your anxiety, focusing on improving physical health through nutrition and exercise, as well as getting an appropriate amount of sleep. I rarely experience symptoms when these are in balance.
tastemaker

Postby wimpy39jen on July 1st, 2013, 2:17 pm

You have all of the exact same symptoms as I do and mine also come and go and get worse when I exercise, get nervous or am in the heat or take a hot shower or bath. My hands shake too, my fingers switch and take turns with the side to side tremors. Mine is also completely postural, never a resting tremor. I twitch non stop in feet and calves, randoms pretty much all over my body too. I also vibrate, buzz, and have the tingles all over.
Jennifer
wimpy39jen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tenthousanddays on July 9th, 2013, 7:29 am

wimpy39jen wrote:You have all of the exact same symptoms as I do and mine also come and go and get worse when I exercise, get nervous or am in the heat or take a hot shower or bath. My hands shake too, my fingers switch and take turns with the side to side tremors. Mine is also completely postural, never a resting tremor. I twitch non stop in feet and calves, randoms pretty much all over my body too. I also vibrate, buzz, and have the tingles all over.

Thank you both for the responses. I really appreciate you taking the time, as it is reassuring for me to know there are others with similar symptoms and worries.
tenthousanddays

Postby johnnythejet on July 9th, 2013, 7:57 am

Everything you've experienced is straight forward, and the same crap many of us deal with. It certainly doesn't represent MS. Postural induced tremors and/or twitching is something I've dealt with for years. Just relax and live your life. Every moment you waste staring at that finger is a wasted moment, and completely insignificant.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS