Vitamin D

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Vitamin D

Postby edado69 on July 2nd, 2013, 1:21 pm

Very popular stuff nowadays...Make sure you're vitamin D intake is satisfactory and you gradually expose to the sun, spending time on outdoors activities. Besides that, I am not sure at all about any possible relationship between vitamin D levels and fasics.
Fasciculating from the 25/03/2007 (as accurately as I can recall!...)
edado69
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on July 3rd, 2013, 4:26 pm

muppetdog wrote:I also had lowish Vit-D (26). I have been supplementing for a month with 4000 UI. It has neither increased or decreased the twitching. So I am not sure it's rock solid that Vit-D causes more twitching. lets not practice too much pseudoscience ;)

The F-ing leg/foot/hand buzzing has gone down though.

For me taking too much vitamin X (Xanax, that crap is poison!!) causes more twitching and buzzing. Oh, and too much vitamin C (cupcakes) causes more symptoms. Not taking vitamin L (laying around on the couch) has seemed to decrease my symptoms as of late.

MD

yeah who knows. I and another BFSer have been experimenting with things and Vitamin D is definitely on the list of things which makes it worse. You have to be pretty methodical in your approach and evaluate "on" days and "off" days consistently. Another good method is to take the thing for 4-5 days straight, then stop taking it for 4-5 days. Extremely good way to determine what the effect is of the "item".

Its stupid because I can't even juice my veggies much anymore. I have no idea whats in them that is setting off the twitching, but if i want to juice, it has to be
Celery
Shard
Carrots
Apple
Broccoli

When I juice the following, I twitch like crazy on my face LOL ... for at least an hour afterwards:
Tomatoes
Green Pepper
Red Pepper
(and the rest above)

My first theory was the green and red pepper containing B6 which can and does cause our symptoms if doses are too high. But i was told food sources of B6 are safe, and you can't go "too high" if thats how you take B6 in.

So i really don't know what the culprit is. Or what its doing. So annoying.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby muppetdog on July 3rd, 2013, 5:29 pm

BSFB -

Yeah I like to practice a lot of "Science on Myself" and keep pretty methodical notes. I know for a fact that the 4000 UI Vit D I have been taking for over a month now has not made my twitching worse. It has just kind of stayed the same. I think my overall feel has gotten a little better thought. My twitching is nowhere near my main concern these day. I really don't mind the twitching. I probably twitch on an average of 100 - 500 twitches a day. Not a big deal for me. They mostly come in 5-20 hitters that migrate anywhere on my body but are not continuously active. I do get the CraZy KneE, and Jerky Finger, and my favorite (among many many more), Butterfly Larva Trying To Burrow It's Way Out of my My Left Calf type of hotspots. Oh, and don't forget 24 - 100 Hour Bicep Meltdown (I love that one.) Even the buzzing in my left foot and leg (I'm a left-sider by the way, I know most people seem to have a predominant side they twitch on. The brain is soooo strange) have trickled down to to almost never. I'm sure it will be back. But I do keep track of the twitching and vitamin D.. not a big one for me.

Tomatoes
Green Pepper
Red Pepper

You are probably allergic in some small fashion to night shades. Those you listed along with potatoes and eggplant are all in that family. Ask me sometime about my adventures in skin *beep* and IGE allergy blood testing. It's fun... not really.

Tomatoes and peppers are not really my best friends ether.

I think B vitamins light me up. I do eat a lot of leafy greens, which don't light me up, but B supplements suck. I don't know which one but I think they tend to make the twitching worse for me. Take notice that I said "think." I have not really experimented with them too much but just have a hunch. That and Rice Dream... Good night!!!

So, vitamin D. It might light some up but not me. I know everyone on this bored likes to identify with each other and all pile on the bus to BSF land, but if you read enough posts you start to see there are many different afflictions going on on this board and everyone is trying to pool it all together into one magic Syndrome. I like the autoimmune angle for me because it fits how I have read other auto immunities developing. Illness + stress + lack of sleep + some odd medications and BAM!! But that's not to say you can't get twitching from other things. There are a lot of people with sever anxiety on this board to the point there body is just going crazy, but you can jump on the thyroid boards, or the fibromyalgia boards, or the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome boards, or the benzo withdrawal boards, or the (insert any other affliction that might cause twitching) board and there are a lot of tiwtchers out there. Do they all have BSF... No.. they have benign fasciculations caused by something.

So to cut this rambling short I think its fascinating that some get lit up by vitamin D and others don't. I don't think vitamin D is in the "avoid at all costs because you have muscle twitching" category. I just am curious why it makes others so messed up. Probably because we all don't have the same thing :) So those of you out there with low D, give it a whirl. Give it a month. If it sucks, then you know. If it doesn't. Then you know.

Just my 2 cents. Twitch on my brothers and sisters. This is still my favorite board ;)

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BFSBurger on July 3rd, 2013, 10:58 pm

Guarantee its the B6.

Try taking this supplement sometime if you're loaded and don't mind droppin the hot ca$h on a simple experiment:

https://www.desertharvest.com/shop//ind ... how_detail

Or i can snail mail you a couple capsules. I'll stuff them into a ballpoint pen and we can pretend im "muling" some ecstasy to you. Its a nice bright orange powder anyways, so playing along would be easy.

Despite the lack of B6, youll still be able to illuminate the bathroom when you urinate, like with regular B Complex.

Ahhh yes the CraZy KneE and Jerky Finger. Have you had the Little Drummer Boy? Its the bottom of the foot thumpers that go a mile a minute.

I am still convinced BFS is really just exceptionally blessed individuals interacting with an alternate universe where a little invisible asian man runs all around you and pokes you repeatedly with his tiny fingertip.

Thats how I describe it to my friends at least.

-Burger-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby muppetdog on July 5th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Or i can snail mail you a couple capsules. I'll stuff them into a ballpoint pen and we can pretend im "muling" some ecstasy to you. Its a nice bright orange powder anyways, so playing along would be easy.

Yeah Burger, could you instead maybe mold the B6 into the dash-bored of a sports car or powderize it and injected it into the tires. You can then ether put it on a car carrier, or hire someone with night vision goggles to drive it across country at a high speed with the lights off. Ether way, if you would, could you park it outside the Los Pollos Hermanos in Albuquerque. I can pick it up from there :)

I might give the no B6 supplementation a try. $16 is not too bad, thanks for the link. As I am working it now, I am just trying to get all my B vitamins from the food I eat. I don't think I ever had a B vitamin deficiency. I have had a couple different types of B12 test - I was a vegan for a while before all this started so it stood to reason - but the tests always came back normal. It does not seem like there are ways to test for the other B vitamins that people use that often. I also drank a medium amount before all this happened. Maybe I have low B1 or B2. I think they give that to people with alcohol induced neuropathy. But, from my understanding, people that get that are the folks that wake up and have a Jack Daniels breakfast everyday for 10's of years. Not my MO.

I have read about too much B6 causing paraesthesia but I think it has to be a ton of it. Did you that if you drink too many Red Bulls (like 2 of them) you can get toxic amounts of B6. I have no idea why people drink that stuff. I have also read that not enough B6 can give you paraesthesia. You really can't win. If low B6 works for you then I am stoked you found that trigger. Right now I am trying to figure out - because I am having tightness, tingling, slight numbness, prickly, burning sensations in my feet and hands - if I have some electrolyte out of balance. I know that low calcium can cause this (hypocalcemia) but it seems to only be caused by chemotherapy or parathyroid issues. I have been trying to read up on how all the electrolytes work together and what the symptoms are if one or more is out of balance. All my test for these have been normal but who knows, maybe my body is sensitive enough that just a little bit goes a long way. Maybe it has something to do with the whacky channelopathy idea; since all those are electrolyte channels. I don't really get that much cramping or constant muscle movements (myokymia) so I am not sure that I fit the Issacs/Neuromyotonia picture, but hell, there are a lot of ions channels and your body can produce antibodies for anything; and they have nowhere near found all the antibodies - probably never will. I have never had the specific K channel antibodies tested.

So who knows? I have heard a lot of stuff on this board of people getting better or worse when modulating their electrolytes (sodium, calcium, magnesium, chloride, phosphate, etc.) I know that Vitamin D directly relates to calcium absorption which can probably (who knows, I am not a doctor) lead to too much or too little of that electrolyte, which in turn my cause problems. And I know that many on this board have found that they hyperventilate and did not know it. That directly effects your bicarbonate levels, which is another very important electrolyte. Others have said that too much magnesium gives them pain and cramps while some it calmed their bodies down. I know if I don't get enough salt I tent to get a bit dizzy when I stand up for a couple seconds due to, what I have been told could be, low blood volume. Low salt also seems to give me headaches.

Its a big mystery, good talk.

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Experiences with BFS