BFS Survey

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: BFS Survey

Postby pbohan on February 11th, 2013, 2:58 pm

We Now have 324 people in the survey. Thank You. I have updated the general statistics file and that has been uploaded to my website.
http://patrickbohan.elementfx.com/BFS.htm Hit the file "Survey Data" under the heading "BFS Questionnaire Results for the first 161 people". There is also a link to the survey on this webpage.

Hopefully we can meet and exceed the goal of having a sample size of greater than 384 once outliers are removed - hence we will probably need much more than 400 people in the survey. Once we meet that goal, I will redo all the statisical significance and correlation data.

Once again, if you have any updates to your survey results send me your code and updated information in an email. I will make the changes. For instance, you have tried yoga since you entered the survey. Thanks.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on March 4th, 2013, 2:37 pm

We now have 331 participants in the survey. I have not updated any statistics yet. I am starting to believe we can get to 400 or even 500 people in the survey. Thanks for participating.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aztwitchy on March 4th, 2013, 2:58 pm

pbohan wrote:We now have 331 participants in the survey. I have not updated any statistics yet. I am starting to believe we can get to 400 or even 500 people in the survey. Thanks for participating.

you going to do an updated blog post about your data anytime now that the data pool has grown. I am not a statistics person so the pure numbers are hard to make sense of but your blog explained it perfectly.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby pbohan on March 23rd, 2013, 5:16 pm

I have updated the statistics on my web page - we now have 340 participants not including outliers.

I would like to have 384 participants (without outliers - this will probably be around 450 to 500 particpants in the survey) before I update the blog post. 384 is the number I need to have over a 95% confidence level in the results assuming that no more than 1 in 10,000 people have BFS. Once we get 384 I can recalculate the correlation and statistical significance models. When I get these numbers I can plug them into the paper (blog).
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on April 26th, 2013, 12:29 pm

We have 348 participants and just passed 2 years that the survey has been open. Keep the responses coming. I have not updated the statistics since the 340 mark.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: BFS Survey Update

Postby pbohan on May 6th, 2013, 12:08 pm

We now have 354 participants. The general statistics have been updated and added to my website.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on May 27th, 2013, 11:37 am

365 and counting - thank you for participating.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on May 31st, 2013, 3:34 pm

368 and counting and I have loaded the updated excel file with all the general statistics on my web site.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aztwitchy on June 24th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Bump...make sure if you are new you complete the survey! :)
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby pbohan on July 7th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Thanks AZTwitchy. We have 375 people in the survey. Once we get another 75 or more participants the sample size will be significant (omitting outliers) to provide a true representation of what is going on with BFS. keep them coming. Once we meet that threshold I will redo the models, statistical significance, and correlation study.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BFSBurger on July 7th, 2013, 2:21 pm

pbohan - you may want to edit your first post on page 1 to have the correct / new link. I went there and almost left the thread, but thought to check the last page instead.

Also -

Is it possible to have all 375 people add their vote to the most important missing question on the survey? Whether exercise improves symptoms or not. Yes or No range 1 to 10. Specifically a "Moderate Ongoing Exercise Regimen". Not just a one time event. But something consistently adhered to, ongoing. The only mention of exercise i saw on the survey was whether *strenuous* exercise makes it worse. Yes or no. Hands down, exercise has been the most influential factor in improving my BFS and others here I have spoken to. Yet there is no mention of it at all on the survey. Strenuous exercise I would assume equates to overdoing it, not moderate exercise, which would benefit many. I suppose a distinction would need to be drawn between damaging exercise behaviors and physical therapy. Bummed out that this isn't in the survey at all as i really believe its in the top 2.

Lastly, neuropathy and nerve pain is not listed as a symptom, and I believe a significant number of people deal with this. There are some subdivisions listed such as pins and needles, or temperature sensitivity. But Neuropathy and Nerve Pain would be more encompassing of a title, and include those who don't have pins, needles, or temp sensitivity. The stabbing pains of nerve endings are common discussion here, as well as reports of burning foot, cold foot, and sensations of cold water being splashed on the skin of the foot.

Joint pain is another very specific type of symptom that is commonly discussed which isn't listed.

I know the annoying peanut gallery always has suggestions/criticisms, so I hope you don't take these wrong. They were just a few of the bigger omissions I felt from the survey, which are very relevant.

-B-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby pbohan on July 10th, 2013, 4:31 pm

The data has been updated (general statistics) for 379 participants.

Thanks for the feedback prior poster. As far as exercise being in the questionnaire I thought it would be redundant to my previous question does strenuous exercise make your symptoms worse (and it is rated 1 to 10). From this I have been able to determine that exercise does help people who have stress / anxiety induced BFS. If people have BFS induced from other triggers exercise does not help. I probably should not have stated the question using the word "strenuous".

I tried to breakdown symptoms the best I could and if I knew what I know today I certainly would have tried to address other symptoms (I did this survey over 2 years ago and have learned more since then). I did ask for feedback prior to starting the survey.

The problem is that I cannot change the survey without having everyone retaking it.

Just as people have some issues with my survey, on the flip side I have some issues with how people answer the survey.

For instance, I noticed you answered that diet has helped you 9.5 out of 10. If that is true why are your why are your symptom averages still above a 4 out of 10. I see these questions as inversely proportional. If something helps me 9.5 out of 10 then I would not expect their symptoms to be more than 0.5 out of 10. You are not the only one answer questions this way, and I am sure you have your logical reasons for interpreting the survey questions the way you did (you may have interpreted this way because it helps one symptom 9.5 out of 10 - this is logical and models should find this trend). That is the difficult part about surveys the questions are open up to individual interpretation. My point is it is difficult to put together a perfect survey and one that gets perfect answers. Once again hindsight is worth a lot. knowing what I know now I would have certainly reworded the questions in a different way.

I do appreciate the feedback, this has been a learning experience for me.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on July 27th, 2013, 3:46 pm

We are up to 387 participants. Keep them coming.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on July 29th, 2013, 4:07 pm

390 people in the survey and the general statistics file has been updated and located on my website.

http://patrickbohan.elementfx.com/BFS.htm
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on August 17th, 2013, 2:11 pm

We have made it to the 400 participant milestone. I am guessing our official sample size is probably more like 350 to 360 once we eliminate outliers. Keep them coming!
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Symptom Management