Medication and symptoms

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Medication and symptoms

Postby Jessie08769 on June 24th, 2013, 11:56 am

Hey guys... My first post ever!! Yay.
I have a question. I started taking Celexa about a week in a half. My symptoms seem to subside like my crazy twitching except I still twitch in my rib cage and stomach and at times in my legs every now and again. Makes me nervous. I've been to a neurologist and he kind of laughed at me for thinking I had a deadly disease. I have an EMG done at the end of July and wish it would hurry up and get here. Does anyone who takes medicine still have symptoms like twitching and such? just curious.
Jessie08769

Re: Medication and symptoms

Postby aztwitchy on June 24th, 2013, 12:00 pm

yeah unfortunately the medicines don't top the fasics...at least none that i tried.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on June 25th, 2013, 1:11 am

they even can increase twitching. But they help for anxiety amd slowly twitching would subside.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby tastemaker on June 25th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Those symptoms do not indicate anything other than BFS and medication is not a long term answer. Symptom management through medication does not address what is causing the problem in the first place. It seems clear you have BFS, so don't worry about the EMG; and if it is going to cost you a good deal to get the test, save your money and instead put it not towards something that will add more burden, but to promote optimum mental and physical health. For me, reducing symptoms has been all about three things: 1) self-work to reduce mental stress 2) A dietary change to promote overall body health 3) Exercise. I have virtually no twitches or symptoms when all of these are in balance.

Look at BFS as a blessing in the sense that your body providing you with a valuable message that you have not been giving it what it needs and use it as your compass to point you in a healthier life direction.
tastemaker

Postby Jessie08769 on June 27th, 2013, 9:59 am

I just had my third child 5 months ago and before that I worked out constantly. I haven't really gotten back into the flow of working out because I have been working a lot and fulfilling my role as a mommy. The medication has really helped my anxiety a lot! Just the twitching is still here but not as bad like it was.
Jessie08769

Postby Jessie08769 on June 27th, 2013, 9:59 am

I just had my third child 5 months ago and before that I worked out constantly. I haven't really gotten back into the flow of working out because I have been working a lot and fulfilling my role as a mommy. The medication has really helped my anxiety a lot! Just the twitching is still here but not as bad like it was.
Jessie08769

Postby WitchyTwitchy on June 27th, 2013, 10:11 am

Jessie,

Did you have BFS prior to getting pregnant?
If so, how were your symptoms?
Smiles,

Vanessa
WitchyTwitchy
Saint
Saint

Postby Jessie08769 on June 28th, 2013, 5:05 pm

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. But my twitching started about march. I know someone who was diagnosed with motor neuron disease haven't yet ruled out ALS yet. It's a waiting game. And I THINK my symtoms started after I can't remember for sure though bc I don't know if they just didn't bother me. I went to the neuro he did a neuro exam which was fine and pretty much told me twitching is normal and that he twitches. But he stil scheduled me for an EMG at the end of July. I think I have perceived weakness and not clinical weakness. I need to get it out of my head all together but it's hard sometimes. The medicine I'm on has helped me a ton though.
Jessie08769

Postby cecsix on June 29th, 2013, 5:59 am

Jessie, my symptoms started after I stopped working out. I used to do CrossFit workouts and long distance running 6 or 7 days a week, and did so for many years. I stopped (not due to pregnancy, obviously) but due to life stress, job change, and moving to a new state. It was a month or two after I mostly stopped exercising that my symptoms started. And I now suffer from exercise intolerance, so I'm trying to start back slowly with walking and slow jogging, and it seems to be helping some. But I started that just this week. I think, for some of us, there's a connection between stopping regular exercise, and what that does to our muscles. My muscles have definitely gotten smaller, but that's what happens when they aren't being tested.
cecsix

Postby Spider on June 29th, 2013, 10:01 am

I agree I stopped playing football (soccer)after 30 years .within a year I get this *beep*.

Crazy stuff.
Spider

Postby muppetdog on June 30th, 2013, 3:43 pm

I also can relate. I would run 20+ miles a week and lifted weights. When all this all started, I thought I had something that exercise would make worse, so I too stopped. Lately, I have been forcing myself, even if I feel like crap, to run and walk, do some yoga and weights; and it does suck but it makes me feel better so far.

I have gotten rid of a lot of the shaky weak feeling by getting back into exercise. Sitting on the couch makes you think your body is getting weaker.

Like Tastemaker said -
1) self-work to reduce mental stress 2) A dietary change to promote overall body health 3) Exercise. I have virtually no twitches or symptoms when all of these are in balance.
I would also ad in Sleep. Sleep is the canary in the coal mine for me. If my sleep is off, there is something wrong with my lifestyle.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tastemaker on June 30th, 2013, 11:27 pm

muppetdog wrote:I would also ad in Sleep. Sleep is the canary in the coal mine for me. If my sleep is off, there is something wrong with my lifestyle.

Yes! Excellent point. So crucial...
tastemaker

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management