Grave's Disease

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Grave's Disease

Postby zekebcfs on June 21st, 2013, 1:52 am

It's been 8 years since my first onset of BCFS as diagnosed by my neurologist. I went through several world renowned neuros. BCFS is still under control. I did develop Grave's Disease in 2013. I had radioactive iodine. What is surprising is how close BCFS and Grave's disease are to each other. In 2007 my rheumatologist suggested I go to an endocrinologist. I did not go. So here I am in 2013 with Grave's. Still here trying to deal with the issues of having Graves.

I don't want to startle anyone but I'm putting this link up on case you see yourself with these symptoms.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyrotox ... _paralysis

It is also an immune system problem that attacks the Na/K channels. It's amazing how similar they are to one another. Monday I will see my endo & Tuesday I will see my neuro. Lets see what they say. Lots and lots of new names since last time I was here maybe in 2010.

Your alright but it still sucks yo have BCFS!
Zekebcfs
"Keep them busy busy busy, back on the farm with the other animals." We are kept so busy with business (or busyness) that we do not understand or participate in the decisions and events that will crucially affect our future.
zekebcfs
Saint
Saint

Re: Grave's Disease

Postby SecretAgentMan on June 21st, 2013, 7:17 am

I highly recommend you go to a gluten free diet with grave's disease. One of my really close friends was diagnosed with grave's after having her second child. I referred her to my acupuncurist who immediately had her go off gluten. It helped her so much she has remained off it now over a year later. Gluten intollerance and auto immune seem to go hand in hand. Anyway, please consider giving it a good honest try for a few weeks.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby wimpy39jen on June 21st, 2013, 9:35 am

HI there. Wow, I have always been told I am hypo and have been on meds since 2007, but now that I read your article I have always had low potassium levels throughout the years, the muscle weakness which I was told was caused by my thyroid and I have always had the hyper symptoms even though I am hypo (so I have been told). Is there a specific blood test for Grave's or they just know by your thyroid levels? This twitching is driving me mad! Wish there was an easy fix! :D
Jennifer
wimpy39jen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aztwitchy on June 21st, 2013, 11:34 am

wimpy39jen wrote:HI there. Wow, I have always been told I am hypo and have been on meds since 2007, but now that I read your article I have always had low potassium levels throughout the years, the muscle weakness which I was told was caused by my thyroid and I have always had the hyper symptoms even though I am hypo (so I have been told). Is there a specific blood test for Grave's or they just know by your thyroid levels? This twitching is driving me mad! Wish there was an easy fix! :D

I too am curious about what tests they have performed to diagnose this? How did they determine you had radioactive iodine? or are you saying you were treated with radioactive iodine?
I am confused.

Either way how are you doing now? I hope you find a the right methods to deal with things. Thanks for posting here.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS