Help with twitch under eye

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Help with twitch under eye

Postby mwagner on June 12th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Hi everyone,

So, I am dealing with something I have never dealt with before in my 2 years of BFS. I have had a twitch under my eye (like the muscle where the "bags" under your eye would be). I can normally deal with a twitch, but this has been going on for 7 hours straight, but literally non-stop. Like several times a second, sometimes three times in a row (like a tremble), and it hasn't stopped, not even for 30 seconds - not once in the 7 hours. What the heck? Has anyone else had this? It's enough to drive me completely insane.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of this? I am guessing this is some sort of hot spot, but I've never had a hot spot that is going multiple times per second. I'm thinking the little muscle there must tire out at some point and stop. It won't stop if I close my eyes or anything else I've tried (putting eye drops in, having a glass of wine, etc.).

Please help....

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Re: Help with twitch under eye

Postby Jujulia on June 12th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Mitra,

I've had a twitch right there for several weeks in a row during my first year with this crap (one of my worst hot spots). I agree with you, it IS very annoying. Unfortunately, nothing seems to help. I've tried in vain chamomile-tea compresses, I even saw an ophthalmologist because I thought something was going on with my eye (I know it sounds ridiculous, but that's how desperate I was), etc.

But hey, I suppose Botox would help! :)

J.
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby mwagner on June 12th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Jujulia- was it under your eye? Was it also non-stop. Like every second? Honestly, this hasn't stopped for as much as 10 seconds in the past 7 hours. It is my first experience with something literally non-stop. I have had hot spots, that fire off every minute or so, but this is like it's gone nuts.

Did it just stop for you eventually?

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on June 12th, 2013, 9:42 pm

PS, I might even get Botox for this tomorrow if I could just get it to stop. It's like Chinese Water Torture.
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Jujulia on June 12th, 2013, 10:04 pm

was it under your eye?

YES, under the left eye.

Was it also non-stop. Like every second?

Oh YES!!! It was driving me crazy, literally.

Did it just stop for you eventually?

Of course it stopped (after a long time, but who cares, it stopped and I was sooo relieved!)

I couple of folks (on this board) have used Botox to get rid of these twitches (you can use the search function). Sean was one of them if I remember correctly. (What a good excuse to use Botox, isn't it? lol... I'm just kidding, I know it sucks).

J.
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby johnnythejet on June 12th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Mitra, I've had many episodes of twitching in the eye area, both in the eyelid and below the eye as you describe. I don't mind twitches at all and strangely I actually like them, BUT I hate facial twitches. They are hard to ignore and give me anxiety in social situations because I know others can see it. So to answer your question....yes, I've experienced this. My facial hot spots seem to linger a while when I get them...probably because they give me anxiety which in turn fuels the symptoms. The more you think about it, the longer it will linger. Sorry you have to deal with it. Annoying
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on June 13th, 2013, 12:50 am

You guys are really helping me right now. Thank you so much.

This is just crazy. My husband also can't get over how much I'm twitching in the area under my eye. It literally hasn't stopped for 5 seconds since it started close to 10 hours ago. It makes me appreciate other "hot spots" I have had, because at least I might get a minute break here and there.

And, Johnny - as you said - I'm very concerned over this one, because it's so freakin' obvious. You can just see my face twitching away.

Geesh - I hope this doesn't last too long and is gone by tomorrow. Talk about something that is sending my anxiety into full swing. I know I need to not worry about it, but it's really disconcerting when it's your face and it doesn't stop. I keep thinking that my face can't possibly keep up with this type of muscle activity!

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on June 13th, 2013, 12:55 am

mwagner wrote:And, Johnny - as you said - I'm very concerned over this one, because it's so freakin' obvious. You can just see my face twitching away.

I was never concerned over these much because they are so very clearly benign. If I was a hermit they wouldn't' bother me a bit. And the frequency you are experiencing is pretty normal based on my experience with that location. I recall mine being multiple/second as well. It will fade eventually, and usually when you don't hope/expect it to. ;)
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on June 13th, 2013, 10:05 am

Johnny,

Did yours go continuously (like, no break at all - not even a minute)? Mine didn't stop after sleeping and is just going non-stop again today. Like it's a permanent fixture on my face now - a twitching under my eye that won't stop.

I'm just wondering if this warrants a trip to the doctor after a certain amount of time passes. I hate doctors, so I really don't want to go if this is just BFS. It just doesn't seem anything like any of my other twitches.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on June 13th, 2013, 10:15 am

Mine has been nonstop for weeks before. Going to the doctor or even thinking you might need to go to the doctor will only prolong your anxiety and likely the symptoms themselves. The doc will only tell you its benign or due to anxiety, etc.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on June 13th, 2013, 1:23 pm

I think that's why I avoid doctors in the first place, because of the anxiety it creates in me. If I had a serious symptom, I would go, but would rather not go if not needed. So, bottom line, hearing that it's normal with BFS, and that you and jujulia have dealt with it, makes me feel a lot better.

Thanks again.
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on June 13th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Oh yeah, I had this one too. Nonstop, under the eye for weeks on end. Gah. So glad I haven't had to deal with ANY kind of twitches in a while, let alone a facial one. Those really are the most challenging.

I have to tell you, my co-worker who doesn't have BFS was twitching all day beneath her eye, just a few weeks ago. It drove her to distraction and she kept asking me if I noticed it. I just smiled and said to her, "no, not really," and truly, I hadn't. She felt super aware of it and once she pointed it out to me, of course I could see it, but if I hadn't been told (by her) that she was twitching, I'd have never seen a thing. We tend to feel self-conscious even though most folks are too distracted by their own lives and their own self-consciousness to even think about ours.

Hang in there.
Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management