Who heals? Doctors, voodoo priests, chiropractors ...

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Who heals? Doctors, voodoo priests, chiropractors ...

Postby ag2002 on April 4th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Last night I went to a men's Bible study and came away from it with some good insight and renewed since of hope. There was one older guy there that stated he had at one time had eczema on his hands and face. He said he tried everything he could to try and get rid of the eczema. He went to the doctors and tried home remedies and nothing seemed to work. He was trying to fix the problem on his own. He was going to heal himself. He stated that one day he finally decided God was the only one who could heal him. He began praying 5 times a day about his eczema and on the 25th day it was gone. The Bible study was about Saul and David in 1st Samuel (mainly chapters 28-31). The difference between Saul and David was that one listened to God and the other tried to do it his way. The results each experienced from their devotion to God spoke for themselves. My wife was at a women's Bible study during the same time I was at the men's study. So, as we left the church I asked her how her Bible study had gone. She said that the woman leading it had shared a story from the past week. She was at the grocery store and saw a young man in a wheelchair, she felt like the Holy Spirit was leading her to pray for him. She asked the man if she could pray for him. As she prayed the man came out of the wheelchair and began to walk on his own. The man wanted to know what was happening and where she got her powers from. She talked to the man for an hour and shared God's Good News with him. For those who don't know, the Good News is that 2,000 years ago Jesus Christ died on a cross as payment for your sins. "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) We are all sinners, none of us are perfect. However, we are perfected through the blood of Jesus. Jesus healed many persons in his lifetime. Just read the New Testament. So, why do we not see more divine healings? I don't know, maybe we think that we can fix it ourselves with our own knowledge and science. Trust me, I have been mad at God for not healing me right away completely . I have even questioned whether he heard my prayers. I have searched for the cause of my symptoms for the past year and for any kind of solution or cure. I think it is time for me to surrender all of my control to Him and just say I don't know how to fix myself. I need to begin to pray and speak into other people's lives to take the focus off of me and my problems. So, who heals? Doctors, voodoo priests, chiropractors, acupuncturists ... No one but God can heal you and I. So pray that He will heal you without doubt in your heart and pray for other's needs as well. I am praying for everyone that is on this board. Maybe not individually, but I really am praying for complete healing for everyone here. Nothing is impossible with God!

In Jesus,

Jerad
ag2002

Re: Who heals? Doctors, voodoo priests, chiropractors ...

Postby SecretAgentMan on April 4th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Everyone has their own unique ways of connecting or relating to their spirituality. Some are through structured religion and others through their own personal belief systems. Regardless of religious affiliation I personally believe in the universal power of our intentions and the power of our thoughts, hence the power of prayer and meditation. I agree that surrendering that need to be in control of those aspects of our life that we are unhappy with is a very important first step to true healing. Too often we stand in our own way without even realizing it, because we occupy a great deal of our energy and attention with that which we are not happy with. When you shift your focus to the things in life that you appreciate and are grateful for, you step out of the way and allow amazing things to happen. Whether that force be the power of the holy spirit, chi, prana, life force, Karma, or whatever, it has a true and measurable effect and positively influences and changes people's lives. Bravo to you for coming to this realization in your own way as I did in my own way, and thank you for praying for the rest of us.

I will make one stipulation about the difference between some healing practices vs. others. One of the reasons I prefer acupuncturists and chiropractors over conventional medical doctors is because they tend to be more self-empowering and proactive. Let's face it; most conventional medical doctors don't do much of a root cause analysis for chronic conditions. They run tests to rule certain conditions out and then reach for the chemical *beep* prescription pad. You know darn well that a deficiency in whatever chemicals they want to prescribe is not the reason for your condition. Those chemical pills are designed to do one thing, mask your symptoms and keep you coming back for more. They don't solve anything or fix anything. They cover stuff up. Chiropractors and acupuncturists will look for what is causing your symptoms and look to correct the problem at the source, or at least manage it, so you don't need pharmaceuticals in perpetuity. That is empowering and that is what I like about them. Granted this is completely separate from the spiritual and mental aspects addressed above. I believe all true healing is multi-faceted.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on April 6th, 2013, 9:55 am

ag2002 wrote:I need to begin to pray and speak into other people's lives to take the focus off of me and my problems.

however you get there, a shift of focus away from bfs will do wonders for everyone suffering from our condition......easier said than done, but worth the efforts in the end.

take care,
gary
garym

Postby ag2002 on April 6th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Secret Agent Man,

Thanks for the reply! I agree with almost everything you said. However, there is a difference between the Holy Spirit, chi, prana, life force, and Karma. I don't doubt that each of these types of energy forms cannot heal or appear to heal a person. Where does the healing power come from? I am a follower of Jesus, and I believe that if it is not the Holy Spirit healing you then you do not want that healing. Yes, maybe your physical body will be healed and you will be getting away from self and tuning into that higher energy or power. However, that so called healing power or energy is a lie and will ultimately lead you away from God and His Kingdom. I want to speak what I believe to be the truth. I am not saying that chiropractic and accupuncture and conventional medicine are evil and we should not use those means for healing. But, we should test the spirits. "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." (1 John 4:1) I love everyone here and I want healing for them. But I have to stand up against this relative, all paths lead to one lie that is being perpetuated in our world. Please watch the following video about healing. It isn't some boring old pastor speaking about healing 2,000 years ago. It is about Jesus healing today! http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=KWe ... =endscreen

In His Love,
Jerad
ag2002

Postby chrissi on April 6th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Jerad, not everyone on this board is christian. Many people here know I am agnostic, and in spite of this I got over it. And I always cared for other people my whole life. Not because I want to please god, but because it is an innermost human desire to help others that are in need. But still I know that anyone on here will overcome those bad days of anxiety and worry if they just find a way to move on and find something to trust in. Be it a god or maybe themselves. Having faith in LIFE .For me it does not matter what someone believes. For BFS, the power to heal us lies in ourselves. I tolerate all kinds of believes, but probably it is also a point of view to realize that we are also resonsible four our own wellbeing. I see christians dying as well as moslems or buddhists. Because we are all the same, we are all humans. With human joys, human worries and human diseases. And noone deserves to life in fear. But I saw how her deep christian faith helped my grandma during dark days of depression, so I congratulate you that you found a faith that helps you to overcome bad times. Still I don't think that a health board is a good place to discuss religion. Because I have seen so many discussions about the "right" and "one and only" god that ended in a bad way, way too many of them. Apparently religion is such a intense issue for believing people, that it often leads to aggression and fighting. The least thing people with anxiety need.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby ag2002 on April 8th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Chrissi,

I know exactly what you mean by religious conversations leading to arguing and fighting. I believe that everyone has faith in something, whether it be Jesus, Allah, New Age theologies, Hindu gods, other religions or themselves. We all have to believe in something in order to make life have meaning. The fighting and arguing come in to play when people disagree on what to put their faith in and try to get the other person to believe what they believe. I believe our faith is the most important conversation that we can have. It does not have to be confrontational or mean spirited. In fact, I am trying to speak what I believe to be the truth in love. I don't hate people that don't believe in Jesus, because that is the opposite of what he taught and what I believe. However, if I believe that salvation is found in Jesus, then it would not be love if I did not share that with others. Jesus loves you.

In Him,
Jerad
ag2002

Postby BFSBurger on April 8th, 2013, 8:27 pm

Jerad -

I appreciate and respect your viewpoints. And I too am a fellow Christian. But a word of advice from a 25 year veteran - the *exclusivity* clause in Christianity is something that non christians will never take a liking to. So its a difficult process to convey what you feel passion about, when the very foundation of that passion is basically "My way or the Highway". Try to keep that in mind. Something I struggle with daily about my faith is the fact that everyone on this planet is going to hell, no matter what, if they don't believe exactly what I do. When you finally travel outside the USA and go to places with billions of people who don't believe what you do ... you start to realize the challenges of such a belief system. Christianity is a beautiful, amazing faith. Christ himself lived an incredible life and the story of his death on the cross really can't be viewed negatively by anyone of any faith. Unfortunately "I am the way, the truth and the life - no man comes to the father but through me" ... is the thing that divides. And it may be true. But you'll never convince someone by coming at them from that angle. It will backfire. Every time. :)

BFSB
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby dARR on April 8th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Hi!
Dont want to rain on the parade and Im all for prayer and reflection but...

This type of thinking is at best misguided and at worst dangerous. If you are experiencing any kind of neurological symptoms that are causing you distress: see a professional doctor. Praying will not help if you are in need of medication or testing.

If only god can heal then surely only god can make you sick?
He who fights with Monsters might take care lest he thereby become a Monster and if you gaze long into the Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you. Fredrich Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil
dARR
Hero
Hero

Postby christo on April 9th, 2013, 12:53 am

While I am all for sharing ideas, point of views and free speech, I think chrissi is right. This kind of topic will probably lead to fight at one point.
christo
Hero
Hero

Postby chicagobfs on June 5th, 2013, 11:36 am

I'm just wondering why children in Africa that are dying form hunger and diseases are not heard by God but the guy with eczema is.... :roll: :roll:

Still, I do respect your beliefs and hope that you will be cured. I really do.
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby aztwitchy on June 5th, 2013, 11:54 am

chicagobfs wrote:I'm just wondering why children in Africa that are dying form hunger and diseases are not heard by God but the guy with eczema is.... :roll: :roll:

Still, I do respect your beliefs and hope that you will be cured. I really do.

You have a built-in false assumption that they are not heard...

The debate on where God is amongst the suffering is a very old debate and all of us would be incorrect in presuming an answer on any side of a fence.

The fact of the matter is Christianity is rooted in suffering but also in resurrection...that could be in this life or in eternity.

but a good point you make is eczema is a small worry if you put yourselves in the shoes of the multitudes suffering today with no clean water, food, or shelter. And a good reminder we should spend less time worrying about why our muscles are acting up when there is life to be lived. that is something anyone of any faith can live out.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby chicagobfs on June 5th, 2013, 12:00 pm

aztwitchy wrote:You have a built-in false assumption that they are not heard...

The debate on where God is amongst the suffering is a very old debate and all of us would be incorrect in presuming an answer on any side of a fence.

So your saying that I'm incorrect but than your saying that none of us can be actually right? :roll:
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby aztwitchy on June 5th, 2013, 12:51 pm

chicagobfs wrote:
aztwitchy wrote:You have a built-in false assumption that they are not heard...

So your saying that I'm incorrect but than your saying that none of us can be actually right? :roll:

No .... I'm saying your assumption they are not heard is incorrect, how do you know they are not heard? How do you know prayers aren't being answered second by second in those parts of the world? I have seen God work in Haiti in some of the most desperate situations.

I am saying why some prayers are answered and some are not is a long and old debate. Anyone who knows their bible or history of martyrs know there are those who are called to suffer and those to be delivered from it. You and I might look at that and say "Where was God in that case? Why was that persons prayer not answered but others seem to be?" Incredibly complex questions and answers, each situation should be viewed individually, don't you think?

I do believe truth exists so in each situation a true answer and reason exists, but I would also be quite arrogant to presume I have that truth for each and every situation.

if you are saying God doesn't exist because person A had prayers answered but persons B did not....well that is a different debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf72zBWq_Pk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Ga9ccjQiA
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby chicagobfs on June 5th, 2013, 1:04 pm

aztwitchy wrote:if you are saying God doesn't exist because person A had prayers answered but persons B did not....well that is a different debate:

I'm didn't say that God doesn't exist I just simply asked why some people are cured/helped and the rest are not. That's all. I don't know if your arrogant or not, what I know is that it seems like you don't allow any other beliefs...

Anyone who knows their bible or history of martyrs know there are those who are called to suffer and those to be delivered from it"
:roll:
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby aztwitchy on June 5th, 2013, 1:30 pm

chicagobfs wrote:
aztwitchy wrote:if you are saying God doesn't exist because person A had prayers answered but persons B did not....well that is a different debate:

I'm didn't say that God doesn't exist I just simply asked why some people are cured/helped and the rest are not. That's all. I don't know if your arrogant or not, what I know is that it seems like you don't allow any other beliefs...

Anyone who knows their bible or history of martyrs know there are those who are called to suffer and those to be delivered from it"
:roll:

I don't make rules for anyone's beliefs...I don't allow or disallow beliefs... this is a touchy thread because it involves things people are passionate about and deeply held spiritual beliefs. I responded only because I read into your post a comment of mocking or sarcastic nature followed by what would have then been a hypocritical follow up of a "respect" for that belief which I share. I respect your belief so much I'm going to openly mock it first type of thing... lol.

If I misinterpreted your motive in your response, I apologize.

Regardless, you make a good point that in light of the possiblities... I suppose BFS or ezcema or the likes is trivial compared to some people's plights. Makes pushing through BFS not as substantial.
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)