Anyone out there been taking ambien or trazodone for years?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Anyone out there been taking ambien or trazodone for years?

Postby Adamk on June 1st, 2013, 1:19 am

I have been trying to pinpoint a reason for my spontaneous twitching that suddenly came up on my vacation in April. I just started twitching one day and it didn't go away, it spread to other parts of my body mostly my left side back and arm. it goes away for hours at a time during the day but can quickly come back at any moment. I have been on ambien and trazodone nightly for about 4 years and my doctors and neurologist and pharmacist don't think it is a side effect but that still makes me wonder if anyone else out there has been on similar drugs before the BFS set in? I cant seem to stop trying to figure out what the cause is? Of course all my blood work came back normal, I am actually very healthy and enjoyed working out allot before this. since then I have not been to the gym once! I am afraid of the twitching setting in. Its been 6 weeks for me since the nightmare started. The only thing that helps me is a heavy dose of b12 with magnesium in the morning along with tien-ma-go teng-wan tea pills given to me by my acupuncturist. it gives me about 4 or 5 twitch free hours a day.
Adamk

Re: Anyone out there been taking ambien or trazodone for yea

Postby Seepi27 on June 1st, 2013, 10:16 am

Adamk wrote:I have been trying to pinpoint a reason for my spontaneous twitching that suddenly came up on my vacation in April. I just started twitching one day and it didn't go away, it spread to other parts of my body mostly my left side back and arm. it goes away for hours at a time during the day but can quickly come back at any moment. I have been on ambien and trazodone nightly for about 4 years and my doctors and neurologist and pharmacist don't think it is a side effect but that still makes me wonder if anyone else out there has been on similar drugs before the BFS set in? I cant seem to stop trying to figure out what the cause is? Of course all my blood work came back normal, I am actually very healthy and enjoyed working out allot before this. since then I have not been to the gym once! I am afraid of the twitching setting in. Its been 6 weeks for me since the nightmare started. The only thing that helps me is a heavy dose of b12 with magnesium in the morning along with tien-ma-go teng-wan tea pills given to me by my acupuncturist. it gives me about 4 or 5 twitch free hours a day.

I don't know about Trazodone, but Ambien (Zolpidem) is a Z-drug with actions similar to that of benzodiazepines, and they are well known to include twitching as side effects, both while taking the drug and while withdrawing. Ambien should not be given for more than four weeks, so I have no idea what your doctor was thinking of by keeping you on it for four years! I am not surprised that you are twitching, and nor should your neurologist be.

(I was on benzos for six years and on Zopiclone for twelve months. My twitching began upon withdrawal).
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Seepi27 on June 1st, 2013, 10:17 am

Adamk wrote:I have been trying to pinpoint a reason for my spontaneous twitching that suddenly came up on my vacation in April. I just started twitching one day and it didn't go away, it spread to other parts of my body mostly my left side back and arm. it goes away for hours at a time during the day but can quickly come back at any moment. I have been on ambien and trazodone nightly for about 4 years and my doctors and neurologist and pharmacist don't think it is a side effect but that still makes me wonder if anyone else out there has been on similar drugs before the BFS set in? I cant seem to stop trying to figure out what the cause is? Of course all my blood work came back normal, I am actually very healthy and enjoyed working out allot before this. since then I have not been to the gym once! I am afraid of the twitching setting in. Its been 6 weeks for me since the nightmare started. The only thing that helps me is a heavy dose of b12 with magnesium in the morning along with tien-ma-go teng-wan tea pills given to me by my acupuncturist. it gives me about 4 or 5 twitch free hours a day.

I don't know about Trazodone, but Ambien (Zolpidem) is a Z-drug with actions similar to those of benzodiazepines, and they are well known to include twitching as side effects, both while taking the drug and while withdrawing. Ambien should not be given for more than four weeks, so I have no idea what your doctor was thinking of by keeping you on it for four years! I am not surprised that you are twitching, and nor should your neurologist be.

(I was on benzos for six years and on Zopiclone for twelve months. My twitching began upon withdrawal).
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby muppetdog on June 1st, 2013, 10:46 am

I had been on Ambien for quite a while (maybe 4 or 5 months), then was off it for 4 or 5 months when my twitches started. I was never on it for years, and I have never taken trazodone, so my case might not be the same as yours.

I don't think Ambien had anything to do with my case. I kind of ran down my immune system with work and stress and got the shingles. After that was when the twitching started.

Can you remember anything else happening that could have been a catalyst for the twitching to start? Were you really stressed at the time? (I know vacations sometimes can be more stress than their worth.) Did you take any other type of medication? Were you ill within a couple months prior to the twitching started? Heavy drinking? Too much Exercise? A mix off all those things?

I am kind of new to the board but have been twitching for 19 months now. I like you went through a period of tying to figure out what cause it. I think once you have it, it does not matter how you got it, you just have to start dealing with it. If going off Ambien or Trazodone does the trick, then that might have been it. But, if your doctors don't think that did it, who knows. Maybe, all you can really do is the "Science on Yourself" approach and see what works. Try a little of this, take a little less of that and see what effects your twitching. I think that's the conclusion most, I being one of them, come to.

I am not sure I would want to go off my sleep meds if they help you get rest, though. Sleep, it seems for me, to be one of the most important if not THE most important thing with this "twitching/other crap" to feel well. I, like a lot of the people on this board, have a lot of sleep issues - I take Lunesta right now. In fact, according to my sleep doctor (who himself is on trazodone to sleep), 2/3 of the population have horrible sleep. Most of the people he sees are people with high stress jobs - which seems to be just about any job in modern America. So weather the twitchy population has more sleep issues then the general population, who knows. I do know that when I don't sleep I have more symptoms and feel a whole lot worse.

Ok, so in summary, I twitch/other stuff. I have taken Ambien off and on for periods of up to 5 months in my life, I have never tried trazodone (does it work by the way?) but I don't think my Ambien use had anything to do with my twitching.

Now, take all that with a grain of salt and hopefully someone else can post with and experience closer to your own :)

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mwagner on June 1st, 2013, 10:59 am

I have been taking Ambien for years (at this point, only once or twice a week) as well as Xanax (again, only once or twice a week). Right now, I'm trying to wean myself off to the least possible, and take benadryl to sleep but sleep horribly and end up needing an Ambien once in a while.
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Adamk on June 1st, 2013, 6:36 pm

I was exercising a lot and was really stressed when it started and was on a low carb low calorie diet too. The days I first noticed it was a very long day of traveling after only getting 4 hours of sleep. I remember seeing my finger twitch and thinking oh crap! I have not been exercising at all since it started out of fear it would make it worse. I have cut the ambien down to 7 mg a night and hope to be off it completely untie next few weeks. I am hoping that thus is just a Side effect of the massive amounts of drugs they had me on for years. the twitching I have is worse at night. The past few Days it has been ok but today i
.it flared up again and I have had allot of twitching. Its always in my left side of my body. I just hope its not brain damage or a permanent side effect. it makes me depressed to think I would have to live like this the rest of my life.

My personal experience with doctors is they are useless and only know how to toss pills at the problem and don't care about the long term side effects.
Adamk

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS