Has anyone had this

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Has anyone had this

Postby Jpg80 on May 4th, 2013, 1:36 pm

I have had all the twitching now for 11 months but I have had 2 odd things happen

1. If I hold my arm out palm down and move my hand up and down my hand does not move smoothly it is like a ratchet

2. If I have my arms by my side and lift them up from the elbow ( like a hammer curl at the gym) when my hand gets back down I feel it shaking .

I know this sounds odd just wanted to know if anyone has anything similar.
Jpg80

Re: Has anyone had this

Postby wimpy39jen on May 4th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Me I do! The shaking yes in arms and legs and the ratchet movement yes in arms legs and even in my neck! No idea what it is! Scary!
Jennifer
wimpy39jen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jpg80 on May 5th, 2013, 12:57 am

Thanks for the reply I've had this since day 1 and showed my doctor who did not seem to show it any significance so it's just something I am accepting so I'm not going to focus too much on it
Jpg80

Postby wimpy39jen on May 5th, 2013, 9:20 am

That's good and I should do the same :D I never even noticed a lot of this stuff until after the twitching a couple of months ago. I have only been twitching since December and it started in my big left toe and now it seems to be everywhere. I wish you well :D
Jennifer
wimpy39jen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby udflfbajb on May 13th, 2013, 7:03 am

The larger my limb is, the less smoothly I am amble to move it (i.e. my legs in particular). I've had this since the start (I think even before I noticed fasciculations). Explained it to my neuro - she didn't care ...
udflfbajb
Interested
Interested

Postby chrissi on May 13th, 2013, 7:09 am

Well this is ratcheting and tremors. Very common with BFS, if you use the search function you will find a lot about it
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby wimpy39jen on May 13th, 2013, 10:02 am

Yesterday I was eating and had my forearm on the table for a bit. When I rest it a certain way on the table it starts to tremor. Also the other arm the pinkie finger was twitching until I removed my arm from the table. Does the ratchet thing ever go away and did anyone's doctor ever tell them what exactly causes it? I know you all said your doc's were not concerned about it. Is it part of anxiety?
Jennifer
wimpy39jen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyMark on May 16th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Never noticed it til now. And I have just gotten done doing my pushup routine (As many as I can do in 3 minutes). If I move my arm in a relaxed state, I can see the ratcheting/tremor in the muscle. If I tense up, I can see it in my whole arm like a shaking, stutter.
TwitchyMark

Postby muppetdog on May 26th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Not to be a buzz-kill but everyone gets that.

I get that also but so does everyone else. The body is just not smooth.

Don't believe me? For a little proof by induction, I made me parents and brother try it. They all had it.

Go find a friend or, two, or 5 and make them do they same thing. If you flex enough, concentrate on it enough, or do enough repetitions it will have that ratchety motion. I think it gets worse when you are tired or your muscles have not been worked out for a while.

I had a few doctors tell me that if it was real ratcheting they could feel it in the exam and its pretty noticeable.

You have to watch out for "Paying Too Much Attention to Stuff That Was There Before But I Did Not Notice It And Now It Is Freaking Me Out Because I am Thinking About It Too Much" Syndrome.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on May 27th, 2013, 2:06 am

Basically you are right, BFSers definately pay way too much attention to their bosies. But ratcheting movements and tremors are really very obvious in some cases of BFS, far more than just in "normal" people. So bad, even my fitnesstrainer noticed it and was a bit irritated, loooong after I had my BFS anxiety phase or was over-interpreting anything. Just wanted to write this here for the very bad cases. It is part of BFS and it will get much better/go away if you keep up with physical exercise, even though we look like freaks when we do it ;)
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on May 27th, 2013, 2:07 am

Basically you are right, BFSers definately pay way too much attention to their bodies. But ratcheting movements and tremors are really very obvious in some cases of BFS, far more than just in "normal" people. So bad, even my fitnesstrainer noticed it and was a bit irritated, loooong after I had my BFS anxiety phase or was over-interpreting anything. Just wanted to write this here for the very bad cases. It is part of BFS and it will get much better/go away if you keep up with physical exercise, even though we look like freaks when we do it ;)
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS