1 month constant twitches, emg tomorrow and scared

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

1 month constant twitches, emg tomorrow and scared

Postby magnetizzum on May 17th, 2013, 12:56 pm

My fingers almost shake as I type this. 37 years old. Have felt fatigue more than usual for one year. In Oct.2012 started having neck trapezius tightness but I sit at a computer all day so I thought that might be it. So for energy I consumed large amounts of coffee...then started hand tremor..not at rest...just while holding something. Went to GP , said to stop drinking caffeine and get better sleep. So I did. Did not help...also had a sleep study..was normal. So all through 2013 I noticed rt. Deltiod twitching and sometimes my rt. eye. Three weeks ago the twitching erupted. Back, face, arms...but in my legs and feet especially. I can't stay off the computer..day/night/at work looking for answers. Went back to GP...then saw a neurologist..clinical exam was good but he seemed to want to talk about stress more than my twitches. I feel like I handle stress very well and I was raised to be skeptical of people claiming too much stress. Anyway..I have twitches bodywide off and on...but my calfs and feet have been nonstop twitching for weeks..my emg is tomorrow..yes they are open on Saturday.I know faciculations are going to show up..probably lots in my lower legs..I could use any assurance out there that when this happens that I can still be ok.....
magnetizzum

Re: 1 month constant twitches, emg tomorrow and scared

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 17th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Stress does not just have to be emotional. Your physical body interprets anything it has to deal with to maintain balance as stress. If you eat something you are sensitive/allergic to, wear clothing washed in a detergent you are sensitive/allergic to, spend too much time over analyzing something, or even spend too much time on the computer can all be stresses to your physical body. I am not saying stress is the cause, but do not write off stress as a contributor just because you don't feel emotionally taxed or overwhelmed. There are many different forms of stress that overwhelm the body, nervous system, or immune system without you being aware of it. The entire reason a physical symptom manifests is because the body is trying to react to some sort of stimuli in order to maintain balance.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby magnetizzum on May 17th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the stress advice... I would like to know/hear from members who had multiple faciculations show up on there emg and received a diagnoses of bfs?
magnetizzum

Postby mwagner on May 17th, 2013, 2:22 pm

To reiterate fasciculations are nothing to worry about. They are looking for other things on an EMG. If you have time do a search on fasciculations and EMG in the Search function. You'll see that many people had them, and some have even had worse, and were diagnosed with BFS. I was just told my fascics were benign and he didn't know what was causing them.
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby magnetizzum on May 17th, 2013, 3:40 pm

So...mwagner thanks for the reply...so you had facics on your emg...could I ask how many?
magnetizzum

Postby mwagner on May 18th, 2013, 10:21 am

They didn't tell me how many. I had tons because I could hear them (there's a noise they make) and could feel them. They did an NCV first, where they shock your leg and record nerve conduction (I HATED that part!) and it made me a twitchy mess. 100 times worse than I normally twitch. It was like my body was electric at that point. Awful. The EMG was a piece of cake to me compared.

The doctor just did my EMG and said "ah, beautiful" while he was doing it. I asked if there were fascics and he said "Yes" (with an expression on his face like "aren't you here because of your fascics??"). Then I asked him if anything was wrong or concerning and he said "Nope!". I asked him that about 100 times again (I'm a total worrier) and he said fasciculations are of no concern to him without weakness. He told me to go celebrate. I asked him if they could ever turn into &LS and he said "well, I can't tell you for sure, because anyone can get &LS - and said my husband or him could come down with it - there are no guarantees" but he ensured me my twitching didn't make me more likely.

Then I went on my way and never followed up with the goal of never to see a neuro again. Let's hope I can keep that goal! I'm going on two years now of twitching.

I can easily go back and time and remember the horrible fear I had before the EMG. I was lucky to have some folks on the board really help me during that time. If you want to PM me, let me know, and I will even call you if you'd like to talk at some point.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyMark on May 18th, 2013, 10:59 am

I've had twitching in every skeletal muscle imaginable for over 8 months (most in my lower legs and feet). I've had the fatigue, neck tightness/pain etc... I had 2 EMG's done before all this started for sciatic nerve impingement due to a lumbar disc herniation. Any abnormality was due to the injury. I had 2 done after my twitching started. One in the legs/feet and one in the arms/hands. Both clean. I still twitch. And everyone can see my twitches easily. I've learned they are not even worried about twitching. So I am not, as far as anything serious goes. As far as caffeine. A couple weeks ago I accidentally made full strength coffee from whole beans instead of the Folger's half caff I normally drink. Wow! I started feeling weakness and my twitching exploded. I got really anxious until I realized what I had done.

Mark
TwitchyMark

Postby magnetizzum on May 18th, 2013, 7:46 pm

EMG is over...and the ncv which I did not realize I was getting. Ncv first, then emg. So far , everything sound ok by just hearing the neurologist talk outload. Official results are May 28. He checked my whole rt side from feet to neck and stated that he wished he had an intern so he could show them what txt book normal looked like.....I could not believe it...I'm still twitching.....have no idea why...The neurologist said he had a doctor friend call him up one day stated that he had the bad one...and was freakin out..he said I had to check him out and he was fine. He asked me if I had ever heard of benign cramp faciculations...I said yes...that I had just joined a support group about that...Thanks again for the replies
magnetizzum

Postby mwagner on May 19th, 2013, 9:39 am

So glad for you!!
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS