any truth behind tick bite

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

any truth behind tick bite

Postby InvisibleTwitches on May 16th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Theory!? A friend of mine told me about a possible new link between *** and Tick bites/lyme disease. This concerns me. I've never truly thought about this but I'm in the midwest right now at my gfs farm and had a few ticks on me yesterday. I thought back to all the camping I did as a kid and I was never tested for lyme disease. What is this development! ? Should I be tested!?
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Re: any truth behind tick bite

Postby Yuliasir on May 17th, 2013, 12:10 am

Ryan,
practically tick infections (encephalitis and borelliosis (also known as Lyme disease) mainly, however several other are possible) are istelf bad enough and I do not know why somebody needs to link ALS to tick bites. Encephalitis causes limb paralysis, borelliosis causes fascial paresis, however the last could be seldom life-threatening.
I mean again you should not worry about ALS regarding possible tick bites, but about a real diseases which can screw up your life without any ALS.

before going into tick regions like Far East for example one really must think about prophylactis (vaccination) and wear proper gears (long sleeved shirts with thight sleeves and collar and long trousers, preferraly tucked in the boots). Tick bites accompanied with infection are usually recognised by specific rush (called bull eye), and infection itself might look like more or less severe flu, however it lasts for much longer, and encephalitis might become dangerous. One should also search the WHOLE BODY including the mist intimate regions because tick really love those hidden places and the bite itself is not painful or itchy.

If you had tick bites, it is adviced to go to infectionist or al least GP (if your region is endemic for ticks, doctros must know whzt to do) and follow prescription TIGHTLY.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on May 17th, 2013, 12:52 am

The known link between ALS and a tick bite I know: a really full blown Lyme disease sometimes can mimic ALS, symptoms as well as some EMG changes. I have heard of a few cases of ALS diagnoses that were wrong ones. The patients received an very high dosage anti-lyme treatment and were healed. I have heard expert opinions that think that actually a great number of ALS dx are wrong, that those people are really duffering from lyme or other cureable conditions. *beep* like that happens when doctors give preliminary dx of lethal diseases: they stop searching for other possibilities.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on May 17th, 2013, 7:49 am

I personally would get checked for lyme and other tick borne illnesses if you have had a potential exposure. For that matter, I would have a thorough check up by a qualified doctor just to make sure nothing simple is causing your fascics....then, if nothing comes back, I would work as hard as possible at getting over the fear/anxiety that accompanies bfs for most of us and start trying to live a normal life....just my $.02.

Take care,
Gary
garym

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management