Twitching, cramps, widespread pain - terrified. Help?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitching, cramps, widespread pain - terrified. Help?

Postby donegan_himself on May 11th, 2013, 10:32 pm

So, it seems that I am like many others on the site. New member (hi, everyone!) and despite reading the various stickies, posts, and articles people have posted, I'm still absolutely terrified.

Let me start with some background info. I'm a 22 year old male, healthy-ish (I could stand to lose a few pounds), and I've been twitching now since early December. With my widespread twitching, I've also had body-wide pain and cramping in my hands and feet. Needless to say, like many others, I consulted Doctor Google and came across the worst of the worse and became petrified.

I made an appointment with my general practitioner and he ran a series of blood tests and found that I had an under active thyroid. He also suspected that the fasciculations may be caused by an adverse reaction to my Albuterol inhaler (I've had asthma since I was very young). So, I began taking synthroid and he changed my inhaler prescription and sent me on my way, asking to see me again in three weeks. I went back still experiencing the symptoms (but feeling better overall due to the thyroid medication) and asked to see a neurologist. He referred me to a well-known colleague of his and I made an appointment. The neuro was booked and the earliest appointment I was offered was a month down the road. I took it and tried to carry on with my normal life until then. I avoided forums and sites in regards to various NMDs and started to feel better, at least, I noticed the symptoms less.

Then my tongue started twitching.

I was off to the races again, when I went to the neuro I was a wreck. He ran a bunch of strength tests, asked to look at my tongue, tested my balance and coordination, etc. He said that, usually in cases of people with NMDs there are more symptoms present after 6 months or so. Not just twitches and cramping. He didn't see the need for an EMG at the time, but asked to see me again in 3 months, sooner if I notice any changes. He ended the visit by saying he'd be "very surprised" if things got worse between now and then. While this would reassure most, it's done the opposite for me. I've been petrified ever since, looking for changes and ultimately feeling like total garbage. My symptoms have flared up again, and they're again starting to ruin my life.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm mortified. Please help.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read of respond.
donegan_himself
Interested
Interested

Re: Twitching, cramps, widespread pain - terrified. Help?

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 12th, 2013, 7:20 am

Your story mirrors 98% of every new member to the forum. You haven't mentioned a single symptom that the majority here hasn't had as well. The consensus here will be that you have nothing to fear and that you have classic BFS. The tell for me is that your symptoms got better when you weren't stressed and they flared up again when you got stressed. This is a dead giveaway for BFS.

I believe the key to truly experiencing relief or elimination of BFS symptoms lies in stress, fear management and alternative medicine. I was disappointed with the conventional route when they just wanted to prescribe drugs to try to mask the symptoms. I knew in the core of my soul that this wasn't the answer. I was much happier with the alternative techniques that actively worked to address the root cause(s) of the problem. Its been a rollercoaster ride, but boy do I feel better. Don't give your power away to people that constantly let you down. Regardless of what you end up doing, find a way to manage your stress effectively and you'll experience relief to some degree.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby donegan_himself on May 12th, 2013, 8:31 am

Thank you, SecretAgentMan. I love your username, by the way. Two things though, what are some of the alternative medicines you've tried? Also, is it a concern if the fasciculations come regardless of whether the muscle is flexed or relaxed?? I only ask because this is something that's recently began.

Any advice on the alternative medicine would be greatly appreciated. I've never had a major issue with health anxiety before. I just want my life back.

Thank you.
donegan_himself
Interested
Interested

Postby wimpy39jen on May 12th, 2013, 9:14 am

I do acupuncture for a chronic pain issue and they tell me it can work for muscle twitching and anxiety as well if you wanted to try something like that. I am also going to biofeedback on Monday as I do have health anxiety and panic attacks as well. I wanted to tell you though that the muscle cramps (not sure if your doctor told you) and the aches can be from the thyroid issues in fact when people come in with twitching and aches, etc. they do a full thyroid work up. I myself have had hypothyroid since 2007 now (radiation from cancer treatment damaged mine) and have been on various doses. Maybe you need more time on the medicine and a follow up blood study to make sure you are on the right dose...? My doctor says six weeks then more blood work to determine. Hope that helps :D I myself have been petrified going through this twitching thing. For me I am in my sixth month of twitching calves and feet non stop, randoms all over and they are strong enough to move toes and fingers and sometimes legs! I have shaking hands, developed some sort of weird postural tremor in my hands and sometimes legs and get a vibrating buzzing sensation at times. This is a weird disorder. For me also sometimes the twitching will stop when I get up and walk, etc. sometimes I can still feel it when I am standing and flexing and mine usually also strikes after any sort of activity. I just woke up and the twitching is going crazy. Some days are better then others. I cannot speak on if that would be normal or not as I do not have much experience yet being new to this thing. I have heard though a twitch is a twitch and does not matter when or how it happens, does not mean really anything.
Jennifer
wimpy39jen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 12th, 2013, 10:08 am

Thanks donegan_himself, I appreciate it. I've been to several alternative medicine docs and can tell you they vary widely. The key is to find a doctor that you feel comfortable with. Some of the things that they do may seem foreign to you, mainly because many of them use techniques that address the energetic and emotional components of our health. The energetic part may confuse you the most at first, but essentially it is the subtle energy system of the body that acupuncture/acupressure works with. In Chinese medicine there are energy pathways that flow through the body called meridians and they have been shown to have dramatic influences over our health and how we feel. Acupuncture has been proven so effective that the US military has recently adopted it and is using it in the field.

I personally recommend going to see an acupuncturist (or acupressure/same difference). Usually they are familiar with some form of biofeedback technique to get binary (yes/no) responses through the nervous system to determine what issues are causing your body problems. Don't expect the symptoms to go away overnight, because usually by the time BFS manifests things have been out of balance for quite some time. Eventually the last straw breaks the camels back and symptoms begin to show their ugly heads. By working with doctors who can get accurate information right from your own body and energy system you can actively work to address the areas that are out of balance or in distress. One of the biggest culprits for me was my digestive system, which is very closely tied to our immune systems. Everyone is different though so there are no guarantees this is your problem as well.

I know it sounds bizarre but it works and I'm sure it saved my life. I may not have died from BFS, but I was on a downward spiral and was headed down fast. I have an entirely new perspective on just about everything now. Regardless of the medicine you will need to make an active role in changing your ways. I had to change the way I handled stress, fear, and worry. I had to improve my diet. I had to change my attitude in life from a negative one to a positive one. Without these things I was only dragging out the recovery time. Its not easy but it is possible. We have so much more power over the way that we feel than we give ourselves credit for.

And to answer your second question, no it is not a concern if the fasculations happen with a muscle flexed or not. The more you worry and stress over the symptoms, the more energy you channel into fueling the problem. I also recommend trying self hypnosis or meditation on a regular basis to help ease your mind and calm down. Its a great way to tap into your potential and turn the tides with your intentions. I always thought meditation would be boring, but I find it incredibly relaxing, freeing, and energizing. I actually joined a local meditation group in my area through meetup.com so that I could learn from others. Its brought on some pretty amazing experiences. Feel free to let me know if you ever have any further questions.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby donegan_himself on May 13th, 2013, 9:48 am

Thank you all so much for the advice! I'm trying to consciously focus on NOT freaking myself out. However, I walked into work today and my aid (I'm an early childhood ed teacher) said that I was talking funny. Coincidentally, I have a mucous build up, a sore throat, and a "lump in the throat" feeling today. So... here we go with a Monday morning freak out. Here come the twitches. This is going to be a lot harder than I think, isn't it?

Ugh....
donegan_himself
Interested
Interested

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 13th, 2013, 11:06 am

I'm not trying to be funny or goofy here, but it truly will be what you choose to make it. It really doesn't have to be difficult, but we tend to over analyze and over think things and make it difficult. Your old habits are your worst enemy here.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby donegan_himself on May 13th, 2013, 12:10 pm

I know, I know. I feel so stupid freakig out like this. Especially since, given my age (23), the fact that I'm going on 8 months of twitchiness with no weakness, and seeing as my neuro saw no need for EMGs etc the odds are in my favor. It's ridiculous how dumb I feel. I never knew that paranoia could be this crippling until now. I need to start meditating or something. Thanks again for talking me down, SecretAgentMan.
donegan_himself
Interested
Interested

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 13th, 2013, 12:22 pm

I simply commented on your post. It is you who allowed yourself to be calmed down. In every moment we have a choice in how we will proceed. Soon you will discover how to empower yourself to calm down without seeking validation from others. I hope this makes sense. Trust yourself and learn to connect with that part of you deep down inside that ultimately knows everything will be alright.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS