Hand stiffness and hands locking up

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hand stiffness and hands locking up

Postby InvisibleTwitches on May 7th, 2013, 7:53 pm

Hey Guys, Lots of anxiety today over this.....

My hands have just been extremely stiff, and locking up. Mainly the left hand. And I feel something like a hot spot on there as well....Do you guys get this?

I s this simply BFS? I know I should always now assume: BFS, nothing more. But, this is weird.

My left hand has locked up on 3 separate occasions today and has remained stiff, especially as I type this.

ahh

-Ryan
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Re: Hand stiffness and hands locking up

Postby volfan on May 7th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Ryan - if you are not just posting just to see if anyone will respond, I am going to tell you most sincerely that you need a hobby. Pure and simple.
volfan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby InvisibleTwitches on May 8th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Volfan,

No whenever I post here it is with 100% sincerity and concern. I'm very concerned about the recent developments with my hands, especially my left one. Simply holding a book has been causing it to cramp and lock, and often while I do this I get a HUGE twitch on the top of the hand.

I'm trying to be cool and calm and rational, but it's hard. I'm freaking out again. It sucks, trust me, I don't want to freak out.

-Ryan
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Postby volfan on May 8th, 2013, 6:57 pm

that happens to me all the time. Mainly in my feet/toes. All the time.
volfan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby InvisibleTwitches on May 8th, 2013, 7:13 pm

This is new for me.....it's freaking me out. Holding a book, typing, lifting weights......my left hand CRAMPS or LOCKS. Coupled with a big twitch or a pulsation that runs through while I grip something :(
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Postby InvisibleTwitches on May 9th, 2013, 12:47 am

Although, I did just get back from the gym. I could lift, do dips, push-ups, bench, etc. so my strength is fine.

My left wrist hurt throughout, and I'd get a sharp shooting pain while doing almost all of my exercises. I know this isn't clinical weakness, only perceived, so I'm okay, but still.....my left hand stuff. #YIKES :oops:
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Postby mwagner on May 9th, 2013, 10:10 am

Sharp shooting pain in your wrist sounds like carpal tunnel to me. Go get checked out. That's probably why your hand is stiff and locking up.
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on May 9th, 2013, 10:12 am

what is your diet like? are there foods you purposely avoid? are you on a calorie restricted diet?
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby InvisibleTwitches on May 9th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Mario,

I no longer have health insurance, because I just quit my job -- my girlfriend and I will be traveling across the USA in 2 weeks, then to Australia. I hope to have a clearer mind by then.

However, as of now, not only are my HANDS locking up and getting stiff, my left leg is now too. I just went for a run. Towards the end, my entire LEFT CALF muscle cramped up....this is unprecedented territory for me. All of this stuff keeps getting worse, it seems. And I'm in a bad place.

AZTwitchy,

My diet is very good. I wouldn't say I stick to any regiment....I eat enough to sustain me throughout a day. Typically eggs or oatmeal for breakfast, sometimes yogurt; pasta or sandwhich or rice and chicken for lunch and pasta or smoothie or fruit for dinner. Oh, and I always have at least 1 coffee in the morning and about 3 nights a week I have a glass of wine.
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Postby LApea on May 9th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Hey Ryan,

I also have the same issues but on my right hand and arm. It started in December and has come back off and on. My middle finger actually locks in place and it hurts to try to straighten it out. Also, my right arm feels weak and heavy like I've been working out all day.

I also have a lot of calf and thigh issues. My calves will feel tight and painful like they're getting pulled apart. It all sucks and I know how you feel.

These issues can be so many things from anxiety to carpal tunnel to pinched nerves. I know it's easy to think of the worst case scenario since that is how the anxious mind works when it's on high alert. Maybe try some hot compress on your painful areas, maybe some warm relaxing baths etc. I'm sure it will wax and wane just like your other symptoms.

Feel better soon,
Jay
You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it. -Paulo Coelho
LApea
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby InvisibleTwitches on May 13th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Thanks Jay

from anxiety to carpal tunnel to pinched nerves. I know it's easy to think of the worst case scenario since that is how the anxious mind works when it's on high alert.
It's weird, I agree about the anxiety, etc. etc. And despite all of this pain and tingles and twitches I still manage to lift weights at the gym and just yesterday at my younger brothers college graduation party, we were throwing around the football and I was able to make 1 hand catches with both my right hand and my left hand, the one that has been locking up.

Today though, out of the blue, BOOM! Left hand locks up while typing. Then, turning in some papers at work, simply using a stapler, it LOCKED UP. I was unable to use it for a moment. Then my elbow started acting like a hot spot. Etc. etc. Next thing you know, I'M IN COMPLETE FREAK OUT MODE. I'm jumping to worst case scenario as to why is my left hand counting to disobey me....it isn't cool! It's scary

:x :(

-Ryan
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Other Concern

Postby InvisibleTwitches on May 13th, 2013, 9:28 pm

I'll probably get mocked for this, but this has also been a worry of mine:

After lifting weights and when I walk home I notice:
1.) Upon touching my fingers to my fingers, my entire arm and fingers tingle, as if the hair on my arm is standing up. It's very unusual
2.) This is for both left and right arms

Also, I've noticed something else weird....while lifting weights now, my muscles truly tremble, when looking in the mirror...like a constant shake. As opposed to what used to happen when I'd lift. All of this stuff is scaring me...

ahhhh.

-Ryan :oops:
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Postby Aingealag on May 15th, 2013, 4:02 am

Ryan,

Please remember that your anxiety only fuels the problem. Keep yourself busy as much as possible. Don't give yourself the time to let your mind wander. When you find yourself worrying, go do something.

As far as your symptoms go; I lift weights too and I've experienced both!

Tip: do yoga, it might help you create a more positive relationship with your body.
Aingealag

Postby muppetdog on May 31st, 2013, 9:23 pm

I have had that before in my feet. It's as thought the brain gremlin driving my foot decided to throw the lever to the full position for a joke, or something. It really hurts and I end up having to yank it back into place. I have not had one of those in quite a while but my parents get them all the time. It's pretty funny watching them hop up from watching TV all the sudden and hop around the room. You're like "what the hell is going on". It's pretty funny (not that what your exerpienceing is funny.) My parents are "norms" by the way. they don't twitch like I do.

I have had other friends that have had their hands cramp up and freeze. I think it just went away over time.

Maybe (just my thought) it has something to do with working out. you mentioned you have had it happen after throwing a ball, typing and lifting weights. I think its a form of a cramp, it fact I'm pretty sure it is.

You might want to make sure all your electorates are good to go. Have you been getting enough potassium, magnesium, salt and calcium? They can all cause cramps when out of proportion to one another. Also, and most important, are you hydrated properly? Those are usually the things you think about when you get that type of stuff. I know my dad always says something like "oh probably have not had enough water today." And then I'm like "shut up, I'm trying to watch some TV here," twitch twitch.

MD
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Noturnus on June 13th, 2013, 5:29 am

At the beggining of this mess. My index finger locked every time I made effort with it. (Like pulling the zipper)
It stayed locked for a second and them it relaxed.
This problem has gone away now.

I am now 3.5 years on this and no futher problems beside the dull aching on my arms and hands and TONS OF TWITCHES.
Noturnus
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management