very worried

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

very worried

Postby wimpy39jen on April 18th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Hi all and thanks for the add to the group! I was hoping to get some reassurance from you all that it sounds like BFS in my case. Throughout my life I do remember having random twitching here and there. I have had panic attacks and chronic anxiety since the age of 17. I do have a history of lymphoma 9 years ago, but have been in remission since. I still do have a considerable amount of health anxiety. I really did not notice anything odd until around December when I noticed that my toe on the left foot was moving around on it's own. No idea if this is a spasm or twitch, but since I walk on it during the day and am quite active I only really noticed it at night and did not give it much thought. Around this same time I was diagnosed with a very painful condition called Trigeminal Neuralgia which does cause attacks of pain in my face on one side. During the month of January I experienced a horrible attack for almost the whole month where it was constant pain, hard to eat, hard to talk, etc. Anyway it went away and I was feeling better with the exception of some episodes of muscle twitching where I felt like popcorn was popping all over my body including my toe. They were pretty much everywhere, I panicked got busy with something else and did not notice them again. Then in the beginning of March I noticed a hand tremor in one hand. I had been holding an object and when I put the object down I noticed my hand was shaking so much I could not hold water without spilling it. It went away with rest after about an hour. The following week it happened again while curling my hair, but to a lesser degree. Then I noticed the twitching in my calf on the right side. Also, I was getting jerking type movements, especially when trying to go to sleep at night. Then I happened to google my symptoms and panicked when I saw ... Currently both of my feet are twitching in the arch instep of my feet, the calf is still happening but is a little better and I am getting random twitching in fingers, toes, neck, chest and arms even in my right ear! I still get the shakes too when I hold something or when I get nervous which has been every day since I googled the symptoms. I have been doing ridiculous strength tests, cardio workouts, everything seems to be intact as far as my actual strength goes except for me feeling weak at times. I have had the buzzing in my feet, the vibration type feelings in my muscles pretty much all over and the tingles sometimes too. My pain doc said it was anxiety symptoms and referred me to biofeedback. I did some blood work in November and all was fine, including my potassium and calcium levels. I am hypothyroid, but controlled with meds for years. Guys, I am scared and in a complete panic that this is something horrible. Logic tells me though it most likely is BFS, but too scared to go to a neuro. My symptoms also led me to this page as well as the other so that is one good thing about google :D I have read a lot of the posts here and it seems pretty identical to what I have been experiencing, however got up the courage to join and post and hopefully feel a little more at ease with the twitching. The night panic attacks and the jerking have subsided pretty much along with the buzzing for the most part. Still feel shaky and twitching mostly after I get up in the morning or when I sit down after being active. I do 35 push ups every day and my one side of my neck twitches after and so do my arms, but this really does seem to be aggravated by activity. Does all of this sound familiar? Thanks :D
Last edited by wimpy39jen on April 19th, 2013, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wimpy39jen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: very worried

Postby mwagner on April 18th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Your symptoms do sound very much like BFS - the twitching, buzzing, tremors, the jerks when you sleep (those are totally normal in people in general), etc.

However, you might want to talk to a neurologist about this, because there might be a good, benign cause to this. I'm not suggesting an EMG, but just a quick chat with a neuro.

Please realize your symptoms don't seem reflective of &LS in any way, and you don't have weakness, so very likely stress could be the culprit. So many of us have underlying stress and anxiety and did before our symptoms started.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on April 18th, 2013, 7:48 pm

welcome to the site. your sxs sound exactly like bfs and the anxiety associated with it.....sounds to me like you have come to the right place. I always feel like people should get evaluated by a qualified doc to rule out some potential causes for our sxs, but nothing you describe sounds like anything bad. In fact, as you have discovered in your searches of this site, you sxs are very common to bfs. Again, welcome.

Take care,
Gary
garym

Postby Yuliasir on April 18th, 2013, 11:21 pm

Hi,
I think your doctor is right. A month of TGN should be a hell of pain and so your body is just tired... practically all the rest is within the normal sterss reaction. As for night jerks, we all have them - even ehalthy people, in BFS they are just a bit more violent...Hypothyroidism, even medically controlled, may still be a provokiing factor - easy twitches etc. So I wish you to forget about googling and read more stories here to get confidence for the benign nature of your symptomes (of course stress is not a favourable condition but at least not deadly).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby wimpy39jen on April 19th, 2013, 9:50 am

Thanks so much to all of you for responding. Hopefully with some time I can ease up on the health anxiety. I need to read the stories on here and stop googling and that is very good advice :D Like I said I can still do my daily things, however the shaking when I hold my leg up in the air and the hand tremors and constant twitching makes my mind think something is seriously wrong, but sounds like most people on here have those same symptoms which puts me at great ease! Thanks again. So very happy to have found this group :D
Jennifer
wimpy39jen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RGB on April 19th, 2013, 8:16 pm

What they all said :)

All I have to add (and again the usual caveat about visiting a doc to make sure) is that there are tremors and there are tremors. You talk about "holding your leg up in the air", have you ever seen a yoga class where people really push themselves? Tired muscles (with a good dose of adrenalin!) at the limit of what they are meant to do, shake.

Hope it all sorts itself out.
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby wimpy39jen on April 19th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Yes! Very true about the tired muscles and I have got to say I did not think chronic pain was such a strain to the body, but I am thinking I was wrong. I remember having an eyelid twitch and a twitch in my arm for about a month non stop in my early 20''s and worried and asking my internal med doc and she told me it can only be stress so I do try to remember her words whenever I think about the twitches. It was so annoying I remember wanting to punch myself in the eye to get it to stop! So perhaps I have had BFS for longer then I really even remembered. I did tell the pain doc about my symptoms, no exam or anything she just listened and told me about stress and the neurotransmitters and gave me an rx for .5 mg Klonopin and a muscle relaxant and referred me to biofeedback. I have not taken the meds yet, but do have an appointment for bio the end of this month.
Jennifer
wimpy39jen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS