been a while....TOE QUESTION

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

been a while....TOE QUESTION

Postby InvisibleTwitches on April 7th, 2013, 5:11 pm

So, I've become ever aware of my toes, especially my left toes, because the 1 closest to the pinky toe has been having lots of SENSORY stuff lately. I'll wake up and it will be tingling. I'll step and get a ZAP! I'll go for a run and my foot will *beep* and have zaps and tingles.

Yet, I've come to learn that all of this points me away from my obsessive fear of ***......puts me in another ballpark, and that is great.

However, I've come to learn something else about my toes, and this has me SCARED.

The toe closest to the pinky on the left (and also on the right, but the not as distinguished) is always TUCKED under my MIDDLE TOES. That is just how they naturally rest. When I stand up straight, I look down, and my toe closest to the pinky looks like it's under my middle toe, on both sides.

I'm worried about this. It doesn't seem normal. It is as if my toes are drooping, and it happens to be on the toe where it twitches, tingles the most....

WHAT IS GOING ON!?! :oops:

-RYAN
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Re: been a while....TOE QUESTION

Postby Yuliasir on April 7th, 2013, 11:35 pm

Hi Ryan,

having 2 smallest toes curved and vent under the three others is a result of our civilisation, namely wearing tight footwear. Some people have bones and ligaments more prone to that, some have less. I do not wear tight shoes for almost 10 years and my fingers are all straight but my mom does, and she has her fingers prominently curved exactly in that way. Some people have that with the big toe, and this is bloody painful because a joint gets in uncomfortable position...

This curvature might be enhanced by flat foot, a job or hobby involving significant loads on the foot (like balley or irish dance, job as a salesperson, teacher and similar) etc. it also causes neurological issues as you experience - loss of sensitivity and zaps, also pains etc. You may buy special incerts in the drugstore in order to help that (one has to insert them between fingers).

I know it sounds rude, but I really wonder what would be the next part of your body leading you to a though that you are doomed. Hope you would not be wondering of having nipples! Some people have them more than two, for example!
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on April 8th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Yuliasir wrote:I know it sounds rude, but I really wonder what would be the next part of your body leading you to a thought that you are doomed. Hope you would not be wondering of having nipples! Some people have them more than two, for example!

Yuli, this gave me a chuckle, thank you, albeit at poor Ryan's expense. :)

Can you imagine if someone started posting about their nipples? "OMG my nipples are starting to droop. Glory be, they are not as perky as they were when I was 15. Do you think that might mean atrophy?????"

Ryan, my friend, you summed your problems up perfectly in your first sentence.
Ryan wrote: I've become ever aware of my toes, especially my left toes...

Did you catch that? You've admitted that you are "ever aware." What does hyper-awareness and hyper-focus lead to? If we LOOK at something obsessively, what do we SEE???? It's not a trick question. Obviously we see what it is we are looking at! Stare at ANY body part, over a period of time; and sooner or later, perfectly NORMAL anatomical features will suddenly seem odd, different, or even atypical. Bumps, deformities, idiosyncrasies that you never noticed or cared about before will become magnified in the extreme.

You're a bright guy, and you always understand my examples, so here goes. :D

Our bodies naturally change as we age. Even at 26 years old, your toes are not going to look the same as they did when you were an infant, right? Imagine if you were nearly 50, (GASP!) and looking in the mirror one morning, you notice some crow's feet around your eyes. Are you with me? Wouldn't it be plain silly if you came to this forum to say, "I've suddenly discovered these lines around my eyes and this has me SCARED." Sounds ridiculous, right? Well, let it be a comfort to you that this obsession with the positioning of your toes is sounding equally absurd.

Just as Yuli intimated, you HAVE to stop obsessing over every little normal thing that your body does. You are making yourself crazy! Try this. Wear socks at all times and stop looking at your feet. Even wear them to bed. Just break this pattern of staring at your toes and fretting over them. And the moment you think some thought about how scary this is, or what horrible disease you think you have, shake your head, and say, "no." Shake your head each time you get a thought that is unpleasant or terrifying. Keep shaking and saying, "no," until the thought passes. As silly as this seems (and will likely make you look,) it is a physical gesture that will help you to rid yourself of this emotional torment. Remember that your THOUGHTS are causing you this anxiety, NOT your toes. Not your twitches, not your tongue, not anything else. Stop ALL thoughts about incurable degenerative diseases that you DO NOT have, and you will feel better, both mentally AND physically.

Think of it this way. If you were hiking in the woods and thought you saw a bear, it would make you feel threatened and terrified, wouldn't it? Your heart rate would increase, your palms would become clammy, and your body would have a bona fide physical response. Well, what if you then realized what you'd THOUGHT was a bear, was actually some big hairy DUDE, instead? That wouldn't nullify the fact that when you'd only THOUGHT it was a dangerous wild animal, your body STILL had the fight-or-flight response. This is what YOU are allowing your BFS to do to your nervous system. You are turning big hairy dudes into grizzly bears, every time you have a teeny tiny little nothing of a nothing sign or symptom. It would be akin to confusing an inch worm with a boa constrictor. Do you get that?

Trust me, I've been where you are. I got myself admitted to the hospital because I was so good at making myself appear and feel quite ill.

You're fine, Ryan. Fight to believe it. Otherwise, you are wasting a perfectly healthy, wonderful youth.

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby InvisibleTwitches on April 8th, 2013, 10:28 pm

Wow, you two are amazing, and that was so well written......made me feel like my fears are truly just that, fears....and not reality.

:D

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

-Ryan
InvisibleTwitches
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management