my twitching experience

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

my twitching experience

Postby donnastar on March 23rd, 2013, 4:55 pm

My strange symptoms started in November 2011 when I felt an internal vibration sensation in the groin area. This sensation last on and off till February 2012. I did seek medical attention which showed normal pelvic ultrasound and normal blood work. Then in May 2012 I started experiencing generalized twitching (thump like twitches) from triceps, chest, thighs, calves and visible fasciculations in the arches of my feet and lower eyelid. This led to a visit with my family doctor who felt I had a normal neurology exam and normal bloodwork, he attributed it to stress but did request a non-urgent neuro consult which is a 2 year wait list. Since May I've continued to twitch on and off and was getting used to it as part of normal life; but in the last month have noticed new twitching in my upper eyelid, cheeks and increased fasciculations to my feet leading to cramps. I went back to family doctor who although acknowledged my symptoms still feels they are benign in nature and that I didn't need the neuro consult changed to urgent. I'm reassured by the fact I have not experienced any weakness, however my anxiety is increasing about the possibility of a motor neuron disorder with the new symptoms and worried about the long wait list which then I suspect will led to another wait for a MRI and EMG. I guess I'm looking for advise if I should wait for the long consult process hoping my symptoms are benign in nature or goto emergency department hoping to be assessed by a neurologist?
donnastar

Re: my twitching experience

Postby donnastar on March 27th, 2013, 5:43 pm

Not sure if I posted in the wrong index but looking for some reassurance that waiting another year to see a neurologist is ok? See my post above. Today during work just below my eyebrow was spasming/twitching on/off for an hour. It's hard to believe that it isn't something serious but also reassured that I have no weakness and by reading the other twitches experience on this forum. Please reply. Thanks.
donnastar

Postby jcmommie on March 27th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Hi Donnastar,

Not sure if you would get more responses in the general questions section--hopefully you will read the pinned posts at the beginning of these threads to learn more about BFS and common symptoms that we all seem to share.

I don't blame you--a year seems a long time to wait to see a neurologist. I think it sounds positive that your general doctor has evaluated you again and feels you still are non-urgent. Off the top of my head, here are a few things I know of that can cause twitching/cramping: dehydration, low blood calcium or magnesium, depressed thyroid hormones, low vitamin D levels, low vitamin B levels (especially B12). These are things that could be easily tested by your general doctor and corrected if needed.

The mantra for BFS is if you have no clinical weakness, which even general doctors can easily spot, you can rest easier. Lots of people here share all different types of twitching, buzzing, numbness, tingling, even cramping and perceived weakness. Hope this helps ease your mind a little.
Just keep swimming...
jcmommie

Postby mwagner on March 28th, 2013, 2:20 pm

After a year and a half of twitching which you appear to have had, you would have really noticed some major changes if you had anything "bad". You have BFS, and your doctor has basically told you so. You can keep that appointment 2 years out, but I don't even think you need it.

I had an EMG about 1 1/2 years ago, and never even went to a follow-up with my neuro. I just wanted to be done with the whole thing.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby donnastar on March 28th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Thank you both for your replies as I really did need some reassurance from others with similar symptoms. I live in Canada -public health care so hence the long wait to see a neurologist. Feeling a lot better about things today so thanks again for the reassurance but as I'm sure you both have experienced with a few new symptoms and "hot spots of twitching" it's hard not be fearful. I did read the threads again about BFS which also helped. I did say normal blood work but forget my vit D is low but my Doctor didn't think was related just the long Canadian winters and taking 2000 IUD a day of Vit D. Much appreciated.
donnastar

Postby RGB on April 6th, 2013, 6:54 pm

I've only just spotted your account of your experience but what interests (and reassures) me is that I have very similar symptoms i.e. thumping twitches all over but 'classic' fasciculations in the face (inc. lower eyelid and forehead) and feet/calves (especially feet, where the twitches run all the way along from heel to toe). I also have no weakness and basic exam with GP (bloods and neurological) was unremarkable. I have been referred to a neuro' but in the UK the wait is only (!) 4 months and have my appointment in about 5 weeks from now.

What I have been able to find out is that these kinds of non-focal twitches are almost always benign and eyelid twitches especially suggest a benign cause. Your GP (or whatever they are called in Canada) may also be using similar information to conclude that your referral is non-urgent. I'll post something after my appointment and if there is anything specific to this pattern of symptoms then you may find something of interest/use there.

As I don't understand your healthcare system I can't advise whether it might be a good idea to try the ED route. As others have said though, given the time that has elapsed and the lack of concern from your GP (twice!), then it seems unlikely that you have anything sinister going on. Additionally (if I am correct) then my research (based on reliable sources rather than the first pages that Google returns!) also suggests a benign cause is by far the most likely outcome for this type of presentation.

I know that it is still worrying. At a conscious level I am "concerned" rather "panicking" but subconsciously the stress may be fueling a lot of what I am experiencing. The same may of course be true for you.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS