Slurring Speech I think, could you some advice

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Slurring Speech I think, could you some advice

Postby JStanz on March 18th, 2013, 7:16 am

Hi everyone,

I have been an health aniexty person for the past (5) years. Have self disgnosed myself for MS, ALS, all sorts of cancers, etc... I have been having twitches off and on for 4 years now - but not overall concerned about that stuff.

Recent, I have been having some aniexty over slurred speech. Asked my wife a number of times if I am slurring my speech and she looks at me like I am crazy. I can move my tounge around fine, push our my cheekes, swallow, and it does not feel sluggish. Have also recorded myself speaking on my iphone about 20 times and have not noticed anything. Has anyone went on this bulbar als scare? How can I tell if I am slurring my words, I assume it is very, very noticable? Are their any self tests I can give myself?

Thanks,

Joe
JStanz

Re: Slurring Speech I think, could you some advice

Postby johnnythejet on March 18th, 2013, 7:48 am

JStanz wrote:Recent, I have been having some aniexty over slurred speech. Asked my wife a number of times if I am slurring my speech and she looks at me like I am crazy. I can move my tounge around fine, push our my cheekes, swallow, and it does not feel sluggish. Have also recorded myself speaking on my iphone about 20 times and have not noticed anything. Has anyone went on this bulbar als scare? How can I tell if I am slurring my words, I assume it is very, very noticable? Are their any self tests I can give myself?

I've been through this as well as many others. It doesn't matter if you feel like its harder to say certain words/sounds, or if you think you hear a slur, or even if your mouth feels sluggish. There are no tests for you to perform. The fact that your wife looks at you as if you're crazy tells the story. The fact is that if ALS was causing your speech to fail then everyone in your daily life would be telling you they can't understand your speech.....they won't be calling you crazy for asking. ;)
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby JStanz on March 18th, 2013, 9:39 am

Thanks Johnny, I am also getting these nasty canker sores which really hurt in my both based on aniexty. You get these?
JStanz

Postby johnnythejet on March 18th, 2013, 9:44 am

JStanz wrote:Thanks Johnny, I am also getting these nasty canker sores which really hurt in my both based on aniexty. You get these?

Do I get canker sores on occasion? Yes. I'm not sure why you are worrying about those.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby JStanz on March 18th, 2013, 10:06 am

I am not, just wondering if you get those often like I do. These speech stuff is annoying because I know it is all in my head (at least I think I know) :) I was told speech issues kind of sound like some which a stroke and is very noticable but everyone.
JStanz

Postby johnnythejet on March 18th, 2013, 10:09 am

Yes, like I said, if ALS caused speech issues then everyone would notice. Also, keep in mind that your anxiety over these fears is very common among us so you are normal in that regard as well. Very boring and normal for a BFS worrier.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management