Hi! Terrified new member with persistent twitch in palm

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hi! Terrified new member with persistent twitch in palm

Postby Stacylyn on March 4th, 2013, 10:03 am

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to hear from some of you who can offer advice and reassurance. In late January, I developed a twitch in the side of my dominant hand, below the pinky finger, in the side of my palm. While I had had a couple of periods in my life where I've had random fasciculations that lasted a couple weeks, I have never had one localized spot that so persistently twitches. When it started late January, it was fairly constant for ten days then stopped for about a week. It started again and now is on for several days, off for a couple. It's sometimes more like a contraction or spasm The palm indents- sometimes for several seconds- then releases. Other times its more like a quick twitch. Needless to say, I'm worried sick about als. Can't get in to see neuromuscular doc until end of April. Around the third week of this, I started feeling pains in my arms and sometimes in my legs. Also, random twitches started firing about that same time, although nowhere near as frequent or persistent as palm twitch. HELP! What is going on???? Any advice, reassurance, etc would be. Much appreciated. It's so stressful.
Stacy
Stacylyn

Re: Hi! Terrified new member with persistent twitch in palm

Postby johnnythejet on March 4th, 2013, 10:51 am

Sounds exactly like BFS, and nothing like ALS. Do the math.......BFS. Benign. Harmless.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby writer07 on April 8th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Try not to worry. I have a twitch in exactly the same place. It is not constant and some days it only twitches once or twice. It started five months ago. Later the twitching moved to feet, then pretty much body wide. I also qhave traveling pain and burning. Told by two neuros it's BFS. Am Having an EMG at the end of April just to make sure. Both Neuro muscular doctors said, a&&& doesn't present this way.
writer07

Postby Nightfly on May 4th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Hi Stacy,

I'm also a new member and my symptoms include (exactly) the one you describe you have with your palm. I can feel and see the muscle fire - and the side of my palm below the little finger also indents like you described (sometimes it almost looks like the side of my hand is breathing! lol) I also get twitching in the palms that you can feel but not see. It has been constantly like this (bar a couple of days) since last December. And although I twitch and have pain in many other places (especially the feet legs and back), for me the hands are the most annoying. Last week I saw a neuro and had an EMG which I have not had the full results back yet but the doctor doing it said it seemed OK. Like you I was initially scared (no other word for it) that something seriously disagreeable was about to happen to me, but then I found this site and read other peoples experiences and realized I was probably in the same boat as them. Every symptom I have, has been expressed at one time or another on this board (and over the last few weeks I have read a lot of posts!). And I suspect if you look around this forum all yours have been too!

I know its stressful, but for me I found great comfort in reading the permanent "sticky" posts (which rid my mind totally of having ALS) as well as from long time sufferers such as johnnythejet (above).
Nightfly

Postby leaflea on August 27th, 2014, 5:20 pm

I reached out to the original poster of this thread, "stacylyn" because it was her one and only post and didn't have a neuro appointment for at least six weeks. I worry about those scared folks who hit and run and do not come back with their neuro reports... Guess what she has been diagnosed with? drum roll... B F S !
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby trustme78 on August 28th, 2014, 12:56 am

Thanks leaflea. When going through the archives (my favorite hobby at the moment) I always wonder what happened to the people who post once or twice and never show up again.
trustme78

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS