Paleo Food Delivery Service

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Paleo Food Delivery Service

Postby BFSBurger on February 25th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Finally got organized and found a service that delivers Paleo Meals directly to your door. Im going to give them a try and I will let everyone know how it goes. I used one other meal delivery service and ... well ... its frozen TV dinners basically, without all the bells and whistles. Wasn't much to write home about. But that wasn't Paleo food, so I gave up after one week. This is all (supposedly) grass fed, organic chickens and meats, organic veggies, etc. I know a lot of people here trying to manage their symptoms have tried to make changes. I gave up because theres no way I can possibly cook paleo meals for myself every day. So i got about 14 dishes from this service and we'll see how it goes. It looked like most of the dishes were about $8.00 to $13.00 so for a meal, thats reasonable. Its http://www.paleoonthego.com

If they suck ill try another and hopefully its okay to report back on all this.

BFSB
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Re: Paleo Food Delivery Service

Postby ag2002 on February 25th, 2013, 3:13 pm

I am on the Paleo Diet for the most part and yes it is hard to cook according to the diet. I like to cook though. I also think it makes a difference if you are cooking for yourself or if you are cooking for a family. I cook for my family, so it is a lot more gratifying to cook than if I was just cooking by myself. The hardest thing about the paleo diet is going out to eat. I am personally dairy free (except a little in dark chocolate) and try to be gluten free as much as possible. Almost every restaurant serves bread as a part of their main meal. The exceptions would be Mongolian and Chinese. But then you have to worry about the MSG, etc. The good thing about cooking at home is that you know what is going into your body. When I grocery shop I am constantly looking at labels. I am looking for any perservatives, MSG (which by the way there are a lot of names for MSG on food labels, don't be fooled), and high fructose corn syrup. It is best to stay on the outside portion of the grocery store and stay away from packaged stuff. After a while it just becomes habit.
ag2002

Postby aztwitchy on February 25th, 2013, 3:39 pm

MSG is evil....definitely everyone with BFS or anxiety should steer clear of it...and that is not as easy as you would assume to do.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby englishdave on February 25th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Paleo / caveman ALL THE WAY!!!!

It can be expensive and a little inconvenient, but really worth it.

Do miss fresh bread though!
englishdave
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 26th, 2013, 10:37 am

When I first started on the caveman/paleo diet I was disgruntled and frustrated. I was upset at the foods I was giving up and I was frustrated with what I believed to be a challenging/limiting diet. I thought it would be hard to cook, etc. too. After a while I realized my perspective had a lot to do with how I felt. Instead of focusing on all the things I couldn't eat, instead I started focusing on all the foods I could eat. I started buying exotic meats rather than just beef and chicken. I went to a local world market and got buffalo/bison, duck, rabbit, goat meat, lamb, and all different kinds of fish. I started to get creative with the seasonings and started making my own creative dishes. I used to buy the chili seasoning packets but soon realized that the pre-mixed packets contained preservatives and gluten. I decided to make my own chili. I cooked up some ground beef or bison, mixed in some pureed fresh tomatoes, cut up green pepper, red pepper, onion, and 100% pure plain old chili powder (add additional spices and seasoning to your liking). It’s the best chili ever, especially with organic corn chips (no gluten or preservatives).

I got creative and made my own guacamole as well, which is great because its nothing but fresh raw organic veggies and fruits. Avocados are supposed to be a super food too. I just mashed up some avocados, added finely diced zucchini (substituted for tomato, just my preference), onions, a Serrano pepper, lemon, lime, salt and pepper. Its great with those organic corn chips. There are so many things you can do and make with fresh veggies, fruits and the wide variety of meats. Fresh squeezed lemon juice makes a great substitute for salad dressing. Get creative with the spices and seasonings. I ate very well on my caveman paleo diet. Now that I'm back on a diet that allows grains, I maintain a lot of the old paleo recipes because I liked them so much, not to mention they are so healthy. I now substitute organic locally made honey for sugar and corn syrup where ever it is possible. Honey has many health benefits. See article below:

http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/why-yo ... -of-honey/
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on February 26th, 2013, 1:10 pm

I love Guac!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you eat Guac without the tortilla chips though? I can not eat tortilla chips. Makes everything bad again.

I was reading an article on intestinal and neurotoxic foods like Gluten, Soy, etc ... it stated that Corn was in that group somehow. I don't recall why. But I love me some tortillas, and I can't have guac without them.

BFSB

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 26th, 2013, 1:47 pm

Some people get corn allergies, I believe because it is one of those crops that is commonly modified (genetic engineering). I was fortunate to never develop any issues with corn. Its also possible the totilla chips you were eating had some gluten fillers or preservatives that didn't sit right with you. I found some good chips that are sold locally and are nothing more than ground corn compressed into chips and baked. Nothing artificial added. They taste great and go very well with guac and my chili.

My acupuncturist taught me how to energetically test my food/beverages to see if they are toxic or allergic to my body. It has been a lifesaver. I no longer have to wonder in the grocery store if something will be good for me or not. Its amazing the number of things in the store that are indeed toxic. Hardly anything comes up allergic anymore since I got my digestive health restored. It has been a lifesaving skill in helping figure out what foods my wife can eat too because we have a 6 week old baby now that is apparently sensitive to many foods that my wife was eating. She would get gas and cry a lot. I've been using the energy testing method to check foods out for my wife to eat and we've cut out all the things that come up toxic or allergic for the baby and its made a HUGE difference. If this type of knowledge were to become mainstream I'm convinced our healthcare crisis and spiraling out of control costs problems would be solved.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on February 26th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Yes sorry, the chips had gluten. I guess I thought that was assumed. Is there a brand of Tortilla chips that doesn't contain gluten?

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 26th, 2013, 9:40 pm

There are many. Just look at the ingredients on the back. Some manufacturers are even putting 'gluten free' on the labels of products that don't contain gluten. Most corn chips should not have gluten in them if they are truly corn chips. I think Snyders/Sneiders (sp?) is a big brand that tested OK, but I know there are many others. The fewer ingredients the better, and try to stick to ones that don't have anything that you can't pronounce!
Last edited by SecretAgentMan on February 28th, 2013, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby ag2002 on February 27th, 2013, 1:53 pm

As far as the corn chips go, I am lucky to live in a city with plenty of options. There is a grocery store here (Houston, Texas) called HEB. They have organic stone ground corn and quinoa chips. Amazing and gluten free. HEB produces there own products out of San Antonio. The only problem is that they do contain some oil and I am not sure if they are fried or baked, but I just try not to eat to many of them at one sitting. I love the guacamole but don't forget the homemade salsa (cilantro, tomato, onion, jalapenos, garlic, salt, pepper, lime juice).
ag2002

Postby BFSBurger on February 27th, 2013, 6:14 pm

I just got my first delivery from POTG .... it looks pretty darn good. Had my first meal ... some sort of chicken somethingoranother with green peppers and onions in some sort of tasty sauce. It was good.

HOWEVER .... Secret Agent Man ....

http://balancedbites.com/2011/08/paleo-diet-carbs.html

"Where Will I Get My Carbs From on a Paleo Diet?

Well, we know you’re NOT getting them from grains (whole, half or otherwise!), bread, pasta, bagels, tortillas, cereal (that’s right, no oats!), beans, quinoa, rice (for the most part, though some people may do okay with a little white rice here or there), crackers, cookies, baked goods or other grain-laden and typically highly processed foodss"

Now what?

-Burger

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 28th, 2013, 9:49 am

You are correct BFSBurger, the Paleo/Caveman Diet is ultra low carb, if any at all. I remember when I was on the diet that I ate like a horse. Lots of meat and veggies. I had virtually no carbs and virtually no sugar, except for what was in the fruit I was eating. I am not and have never been a very bulky guy. I think I was around 150~155 lbs to start. I went all the way down to 130~135 lbs, even though I was probably eating more now than I had been before. Don't freak out though if this happens to you. You will not waste away to nothing. After slimming down, I planed off and leveled out in my weight. Its actually a great opportunity to detox. As your body burns the fat you've been storing you may experience a surge in symptoms because of the toxins being released into your system that were stored in the fats. I used a sauna on a regular basis to help releive the burden on my liver and kidneys. Don't worry though, you won't die of any deficiency for not eating carbs. Our society actually eats far too many carbs vs. what nature intended for us. You'll probably lose some weight too.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on February 28th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Okay well I do not do well on low-carb diets. Especially because I go to the gym. I need energy. In fact my symptoms get significantly worse if I have not had carbs. Because my energy production takes a skydive. Part of me still wonders if this is a mitochondrial dysfunction/deficiency due to the medications I took. If that is the case, I cannot afford to deplete sources of cellular energy production in my body. There are carbs in the Paleo diet. Such as sweet potatoes. I'm just going to have to make sure to double and triple up on those.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on March 1st, 2013, 11:37 am

Everyone is different. No two people are the same. You just have to do what is right for you, and you'll know what that is. Keep on doing what you are doing. Your vigilance will pay off in the end.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on March 1st, 2013, 1:24 pm

I had a chicken meal from this Paleo thing and had a great day. Symptoms maintaned at an all time low. Almost zero.

Then last night I had the Meatball Marinara with Sweet Potatoes ... and it was like all hell broke loose. The gas was ridiculous .... all night and twitching.

So apparently something in that meal is going to be off limits for me.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management