Circulatory issues linked to fasciculations

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Circulatory issues linked to fasciculations

Postby G-Dog on February 12th, 2013, 11:54 am

aztwitchy wrote:some naturopath said the flush is actually toxic to your system...totally unsure if that was true or if he pulled it out of his you know what....

Well if it came from a Naturopath I'm pretty sure where he pulled it from :)
G-Dog

Postby lcanela on February 13th, 2013, 3:40 am

Super interesting idea. It makes sense. Even when my twitching has been managed down to zero (like I finally got it back to this week), the only time things start to pop and jiggle are immediately after I eat.

I am just the opposite.. when I am hungry I twich, and barely twich after having lunch... :s
lcanela

Postby G-Dog on February 13th, 2013, 5:58 am

I am just the opposite.. when I am hungry I twich, and barely twich after having lunch... :s

I personally don't see any direct link...When I mentioned intermittent fasting earlier, I'm more interested in the long term gains. 1 day a week (Sunday, no religious connection :)), 600 calories (500 for women)...It's very easy to do and always makes me feel full of energy on Monday morning!
G-Dog

Postby BFSBurger on February 13th, 2013, 10:51 am

I have to agree with lcanela actually. At least when it comes to my body, if I am late on a meal, i start twitching. Direct correlation for me. So I am not so sure that fasting would be smart. However, the fasting you're referring to can include 3 meals a day. They'd just have to be smaller portions. I missed a meal a couple times this week and felt things coming on again. For me, lack of food (maybe drop in blood sugar) creates sufficient stress on the body to initiate mild symptoms.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby G-Dog on February 13th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Well some degree of patience is required...This is the problem I see frequently on this forum. People try something different and sit their waiting for something to happen! That approach, makes no sense to me! The problems of muscle twitching are due to long term chronic stress and anxiety and it takes time and a concerted effort to unwind this.

If there were some unifying cause, other than stress/anxiety..then do you not agree that we would have all reached a consensus by now? This forum has been going for over 10 years!
G-Dog

Postby christo on February 13th, 2013, 3:52 pm

While I also tend to believe that "my bfs" is probably caused by stress/anxiety, it could be something else for others, because bfs is more like a lake of diagnosis, just knowing it's benign. Also, even if anxiety is the cause for everyone, some could probably cure their bfs with a placebo effect in making changes in their lives, then thinking doing this or that cured them. Or simply being something to cure them become actually a cure by itself, which is fine in the end.
The only thing I am sure is someone without anxiety wont notice or wont fear anything from twitches. People thinking like us, meaning twitching could be a sign of a serious illness have serious anxiety disorder.
christo
Hero
Hero

Postby BFSBurger on February 13th, 2013, 4:09 pm

I dont think anxiety is the *originating* cause for any of us.

I think there's a 3rd element which is causing our anxiety center to malfunction. Possibly hyperactivate. I think that's the general concensus here at this stage. At least with most people I've spoken to. You don't go from perfectly fine one day to "this" the next day ... and for months and months long. Something new was introduced to the equation.

Managing BFS symptoms however is an anxiety control process. That's the difference. And all that extra effort put into my regimen below is a process of daily focus on calming the system. More stuff than I would ever normally bother to do because i never needed to. So while your doc said anxiety can cause widespread fasciculations - even though in his mind he meant self induced stress - i think its far more accurate that he was right in a different way: Anxiety/Inflammation/Nervous System malfunction can cause this. Whether a virus is the cause, or something else ... who knows.

But GDog you're right - what you're saying is, in order to lower IGF levels, several iterations of maybe one 600 calorie day per week can have an aggregate benefit, and one may see symptom relief after some time of using this method, even if twitching increases in the process. Same thing can be said for most of my regimen below. It takes time.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby christo on February 13th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Burger, I know you believe in inflamation being the cause, I must say I believed it at some point too, but no more. I am on prednisone 60 mg per day for almost two weeks for another condition, my twitching has not changed at all. If it was inflamation related I should see improvment by now. So, at least for me, inflamation is neither the cause nor is part of my symptoms.

Also we can see many members have raynault's syndrome, which is linked to sympathetic nervous system hyperactivity. Maybe in some case, this hyperactivity could lead to BFS or raynault or both.
christo
Hero
Hero

Postby BuzzGirl on February 13th, 2013, 4:41 pm

I have Raynaud's Syndrome and often have cold extremities. Poor circulation would probably exacerbate the situation (as it's never a good thing) but I'm not sure that this is the cause (for me anyway).

I think that this condition is multi-faceted, so every one of us may have a different "straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak. As with so many others, my symptoms come and go and this leads me to believe that my 'straw' is either stress or a fluctuating immune system that is trying to deal with something I've picked up along the way.
BuzzGirl

Postby Kamila on February 17th, 2013, 5:39 pm

Hmmm i also have issues with cold feet and sometimes in past with hands
Really i hope one day doctors will find explanation about BFS.
Kamila

Postby aztwitchy on February 18th, 2013, 12:57 am

christo wrote:Burger, I know you believe in inflamation being the cause, I must say I believed it at some point too, but no more. I am on prednisone 60 mg per day for almost two weeks for another condition, my twitching has not changed at all. If it was inflamation related I should see improvment by now. So, at least for me, inflamation is neither the cause nor is part of my symptoms.

Also we can see many members have raynault's syndrome, which is linked to sympathetic nervous system hyperactivity. Maybe in some case, this hyperactivity could lead to BFS or raynault or both.

interesting...let me know how you feel after you taper off prednisone...i am a couple days off of a 7 day taper for back issues and my twitching flared up big time once i went off.

so you believe this is all psychosomatic? if that was the case why are so many still struggling despite using some pretty heavy duty anti=anxiety and depression meds? just curious
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby christo on February 18th, 2013, 1:41 am

I am currently tapering off. As for now I can see some changes in my twitching but not really a flare up. I have more twitching on my back and rapid firing one on my calf (which usually are slow firing ones).
I am not saying that everybody here have psychosomatic symptoms, just that some of us probably have (including me). I am 100% sure there is really more than one underlying cause of BFS. I see your point with the anti anxiety drugs, the truth is are they really effective on anxiety symptoms? For example I have tried xanax at the beginning of my BFS and really, after some 3 or 4 days I could not see any improvement on my anxiety, nor on my symptoms, despite this drug is supposed to be effective without delay. Also, some of these drugs have twitching as a side effect...
christo
Hero
Hero

Postby BFSBurger on February 18th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Christo -

Inflammation comes in many forms. I wasn't necessarily restricting it to just the type which Prednisone inhibits. There are many other types. The term is actually used loosely here to represent any agitation on the body. Therefore in that context, sitting in a chair and feeling your blood pressure go up because of something stressful, equals "inflammation". There are other better, more accurate words, but for the sake of people understanding, inflammation is often used. And without any doubt, BFS is an inflammation / agitation / stress / anxiety / affected syndrome. Unless you have the genetic form. Treating and managing the symptoms will always include ways to "calm" the system (opposite of inflaming). So I hope you won't take your experience with Prednisone and decide that none of the approaches we are all taking (and others have taken to the point of a cure) are a waste of your time.

Please remember these words if your BFS gets 10 times worse when Prednisone is done: This is to be expected, tapering off of Prednisone as inflammation and immune activity are now able to do their own thing. I too was on a medication that had anti-inflammatory effects, though not suppressing the immune system. When I came off those meds, my BFS was worse than it has ever been, and it took several weeks to calm back down. So hang in there and I hope you don't have to deal with that.

BFSB

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on February 18th, 2013, 11:04 pm

G-Dog wrote:Well some degree of patience is required...This is the problem I see frequently on this forum. People try something different and sit their waiting for something to happen! That approach, makes no sense to me! The problems of muscle twitching are due to long term chronic stress and anxiety and it takes time and a concerted effort to unwind this.

If there were some unifying cause, other than stress/anxiety..then do you not agree that we would have all reached a consensus by now? This forum has been going for over 10 years!

Bingo
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby anita on February 19th, 2013, 7:14 am

I first got Raynaud's (and I mean the most typical ones) and I really thought I was getting lupus or sceroderma. My joints were sore and were popping and cracking. I saw a rheumatologist. I got tested and all the usual antibodies were negative. About one month into it I started twitching first in the calf and shortly after everywhere else, but calves remain predominant. It did not make sense to me or to the doctors I was seeing. This is not a well known disease at all.

I was amazed to see other people with BFS get Raynauds as well. I am now starting to think that it is the nerve hyperexcitability around the blood vassels in the finger that makes them constrict and cut the blood supply temporarily. This could explain both my Raynauds and fasciculations.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Anita
anita

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics