Hi i'm new. :)

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hi i'm new. :)

Postby pandaloverx on January 14th, 2013, 10:26 am

Hi. I'm Lindsay and i'm 17 years old. I have been lurking these forums for about 3 weeks aha, but too scared to join -.- but here I am. At the start I was googling and ALS and MS and things were coming up. Safe to say I was terrified.. lol. My symptoms are twitching, like little random ones. They've decreased today but they're still an annoyance. Also, sometimes when i'm lying on bed on my tablet or phone etc, my left arm goes numb. It's alwaaaays my left!

and I get pins and needles in my feet ALOT and hot and cold sensations idk, it's very strange... the twitching only started in December or maybe that's when I first paid attention to it? It started in my arm. Then I googled and from then on... much worse lol. I'm always googling things! I think i'm a bit of an anxious person, was scared about CANCER a while ago... ;S It's not good to live in fear of things!
I'm not sure if I have BFS or Anxiety or what. May even be a side effect to pills. I've been on Doxycycline for ages due to acne (does a great job btw!! haha) and I was on Zantac for GERD for a few weeks aswell.

I'm glad that today the twitching isn't as bad. At night my symptoms seem to be worse though, like the whole pins and needles and numbness thing. I have had that for about a year now. The twitching is just recently. No weakness or anything, feel pretty good otherwise just wish my leg would stop just now -.- heheh!

I look forward to getting to know you all and having some reassurance :)
pandaloverx

Re: Hi i'm new. :)

Postby PetrifiedGuy33 on January 14th, 2013, 11:20 am

I started getting twitching at around your age, I am now 34 and still twitch.........but let me tell you this, do you know what made me twitch less and even made me stop twitching completely for long periods of time, when I just accepted them and stopped freaking out about them - it's hard to just let them do their thing and not be alarmed but that's what you got to do
PetrifiedGuy33
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby PetrifiedGuy33 on January 14th, 2013, 11:20 am

I started getting twitching at around your age, I am now 34 and still twitch (not that often and mostly when I am anxious about something).........but let me tell you this, do you know what made me twitch less and even made me stop twitching completely for long periods of time, when I just accepted them and stopped freaking out about them - it's hard to just let them do their thing and not be alarmed but that's what you got to do
PetrifiedGuy33
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aztwitchy on January 14th, 2013, 11:37 am

doxycycline is what got me here too...welcome to the club...its BFS. Read BFS in a nutshell and why you don't have ALS and learn to relax, stop googling your symptoms, eat healthy and get some rest. you will be ok.

you most certainly don't fit the mold for either MS or ALS...i would bet a million dollars on it.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby pandaloverx on January 14th, 2013, 11:51 am

thankyou so much guys I feel a lot better haha :) today I'm not as bad which is good! but I have been worrying tons :(( do you get muscle jerks too sometimes? mine are small
pandaloverx

Postby aztwitchy on January 14th, 2013, 12:00 pm

yes the twitching plays tricks on your brain. Once you know anxiety\panic\stress is a factor the faster you will feel better. Consult your dermatologist on the doxycycline. They don't list it as a side effect but there are a large number of people on this site who were taking potent antibiotics like tetracycline prior to the onset of BFS. My guess is its going to take some time for your system to clear itself up...the best thing to do (based on my own experience) is stop searching the internet and don't panic..it may take some time for the twitching to calm down.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby pandaloverx on January 14th, 2013, 12:07 pm

I'm not sure if I should stop then? I've been on it for like two years and was offered Roaccutane by a dermatologist in November but wow, i was astonished at all the side effects for that so said no. I don't wanna be on doxy forever though cos I had a pill stuck in throat feeling for weeks and acid! i'm full of bad luck me! :roll: next time I go back to the doctor i'll tell her and see what she says :) I didn't know though that antibotics could do that! I did have a break from doxy for a while and just recently started maybe that's why. Hmmm. Seriously annoying though:( Yes i'll stop searching the internet haha everyone keeps saying to but it's hard, i'm such a worrier!
pandaloverx

Postby aztwitchy on January 14th, 2013, 12:16 pm

I hear you...most of us are worriers and thats what got us here in the first place. Yes definitely consult your doctor before changing any medications. another suggestion would be to ween yourself from caffeine. lots of caffeine could be causing your acid reflux as well as its not going to help the twitching.

best of health.
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby pandaloverx on January 15th, 2013, 7:38 pm

today is a good day as i've had barely any twitching:) maybe i've just not been thinking about it as much. I stupidly googled earlier though and learned visual snow is a MS symptom?! i've had visual snow for 8 years. Should I be worried? I'm such a worrier urgh:S I'm only 17 aswell so I don't think it is MS? Do people on here have visual snow?
pandaloverx

Postby aztwitchy on January 15th, 2013, 10:48 pm

you would do yourself alot of good to stop googling. did you have visual snow before you read that as a symptom? from your story I doubt any neurologist would think MS. I have been through an identical circumstance as you...did MRIs, EMG\NCV tests, and wasted an awful lot of time and money with doctors. Doxycycline can cause a flare up of your nerve system and it can take time for you to stabilize. Stop googling symptoms and don't give into anxiety or panic. The faster you do this the faster you will begin to heal. your story sounds like many of us. did you read BFS in a nutshell yet?
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on January 16th, 2013, 1:07 am

if you have visual snow for 8 years, then you can probably relax in terms of MS fears.

any manifestation associated with MS is usually quite strong and definitely usually ends up in a ER or in GP office. I think average person could try to ignore MS symptomes not more that for 6-8month... not 8 years. Usually it takes a month or two to understand that something is really wrong, and sometimes people refer to doctor in few days because of the degree of symptomes.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby pandaloverx on January 16th, 2013, 6:58 am

thankyou guys aha i'm so weird!! :( i guess it's just BFS and the doxycycline kinda had an effect. I'll try to stop googling I know it's best for me! I'm only 17 I don't wanna live like this:(( haha
pandaloverx

Postby pandaloverx on January 16th, 2013, 6:59 am

thankyou guys aha i'm so weird!! :( i guess it's just BFS and the doxycycline kinda had an effect. I'll try to stop googling I know it's best for me! I'm only 17 I don't wanna live like this:(( haha
pandaloverx

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management