Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation

Postby seventhcandle on January 12th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) is a modern treatment approach used to treat more severe cases of epilepsy, and most recently, dystonia.

TMS is briefly described as follows:

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation is a noninvasive technique that uses electromagnetic currents to alter the electrical activity in the brain. This therapy has shown great promise for reducing seizures in epileptics by reducing neuronal excitability. Some of the earliest studies found that transcranial magnetic stimulation can induce a prolonged period of protection from the types of electrical activity that cause seizures (Chen et al. 1997). Case studies have found that this technique can reduce seizure frequency by over 60 percent in patients (Sun et al. 2011). The most serious side effect associated with transcranial magnetic stimulation is a headache, though there is a small risk of seizure during this treatment (Bae et al. 2007). However, this risk is low and this technique is considered to be safe; in addition, as transcranial magnetic stimulation technology advances and is combined with EEGs, this therapy can be used in a more targeted and safer way (Rotenberg 2010).

Since BFS is considered to be a form of neuronal hyperexcitability, do any of you think that TMS could hold promise for reducing or eliminating the symptoms of BFS? Thoughts?
Been on the BFS journey since 6/26/12...

Twitch way do I go from here?

BFS does get better with time. Almost two years in and able to do almost everything I could do before I had this condition. Still twitching away of course...
seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation

Postby aztwitchy on January 12th, 2013, 6:39 pm

not sure....a chiropractor I trust offers braincore therapy...i wonder if it similar or the same. sometimes I see this stuff and think its just quackery but then again so is some of the modern medicine that we partake in.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Re: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management