Face /cheek muscles tremble

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Face /cheek muscles tremble

Postby rookiecookie828 on December 7th, 2012, 9:43 pm

I'm quite sure it wasn't this way last week.

Last night, I found out that my face (the upper cheeks) shake when I smile. I could hold it steady for a second or two, but after that it will quiver. Today, I am finding it difficult to execute my facial expressions like scrunching my nose without a quiver. :( Is this still part of the BFS process or are my muscles losing strength?
rookiecookie828
Interested
Interested

Re: Face /cheek muscles tremble

Postby twitchinjohnny on December 7th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Even people without BFS (or any other condition for that matter) will experience what you've described. It's perfectly normal for any muscle in the body to quiver when tensed.

If you're experiencing any kind of facial weirdness, however, I can speak to this directly as I've been dealing with facial twitches and quivers for a while now. My left cheek started twitching a few months ago. Shortly after that, I started waking-up to quivering in my left cheek and upper lip. Right after that, I noticed that if I twisted and tensed the muscles of my mouth and lips, and then relaxed them.... it took about a second or two for them to return to their normal, relaxed position. I call this phenomenon "memory foam face." It's like pushing on a memory foam pillow and watching it retake its shape!

Shortly after having had an EMG on my legs and arms, and having subsequently received a diagnosis of BFS from my neurologist, I went running back to him again with all of these facial twitching and trembling symptoms. He performed another clinical evaluation of my face, mouth, head and neck muscles and told me that my facial symptoms were all part of the BFS package. He also told me that facial fasciculations in ALS are pretty rare. I'll never forget that most reassuring line that he delivered: "If we see those kind of fasciculations at all, it's at the very end of the process, and you're not there..... you're not even anywhere near the beginning, so relax!"

It sounds to me like you've got some of the same stuff that I'm dealing with, my friend! As maddening, worrisome, and annoying as it is, it's all a part of BFS.

I think you're gonna' be o.k.!

Cheers!

John
"If you're going through hell, keep going!"
Sir Winston Churchill
twitchinjohnny
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby KatieMG on December 7th, 2012, 10:38 pm

My face does that too. It will tremble when smiling, drinking out of certain cups, etc. You are fine :D
KatieMG

Postby Yuliasir on December 8th, 2012, 1:27 am

nope, most ptobably it is just an evidence of hyperexcited fascial muscles, common in BFS.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management