Ibuprofen for my Cramp

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Ibuprofen for my Cramp

Postby BFSBurger on November 24th, 2012, 11:15 am

My left calf wrenched into a knot about a month ago and held for a solid 24 hours before releasing. I could feel it when it released finally. Since then, the calf has had varying levels of stiffness and tightness and aching. Definitely can NOT stretch my calf at all. Doing so results in a day long of discomfort and tightness there.

Today I got very little sleep - i keep waking up at like 5am .... and this is a guy who usually sleeps until 11am... so i knew today would be a little less enjoyable symptom-wise. My calf muscle was pretty aching today and tight, even while sitting down doing nothing. Decided to give some Advil a try and 30 minutes later its like my calf never knotted up in the first place. Inflammation ... you see ... is a huge part of this. At least for me. A lot of people think Advil is just a pain killer. Its moreso an anti-inflammatory. Unfortunately one can't take Advil for months and months safely. But thus far just one pill (200mg) is giving me an afternoon of total relief. I am now also able to fully flex and stretch my calf with *zero* pain or resistance. That is something i haven't experienced in a month.

Just thought I'd share. I'll update with how long it lasted.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the day this thing cramped up, it may have injured the muscle, and I have been neglecting the healing process ever since. I had a VERY similar cramp/tear in my neck last year after a sports injury. It was so uncomfortable for so many weeks. Until I finally decided to get a clue and began taking Ibuprofen daily. As it turned out, I needed about 400mg throughout the day, and it was not until I did this for a solid 2 weeks ... that I finally had healing. I learned during this period that sometimes muscles need to be "UN-INFLAMED" for a period of time so that they CAN heal. Without the absence of inflammation, they will continue to hurt. That is a scientific fact. Employ it as you see fit.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Re: Ibuprofen for my Cramp

Postby twitchinjohnny on November 29th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Good info here. Thanks, BFSBurger!

Ibuprofen qualifies as a modern wonder-drug on many levels. Back in the 70's, it was a prescription-only med that was used for the treatment of arthritis and related conditions. With most new and/or experimental drugs, we eventually discover that they're good for things other than the ailment for which they were originally indicated. Ibuprofen really hit its stride in the early 80's when a whole lot of women serendipitously discovered that it served as a miracle cure for otherwise insufferable menstrual cramps. That's what caused the FDA to re-examine the whole prescription protocol for ibuprofen.

Nowadays, ibuprofen is recognized worldwide as one the modern miracle drugs when it comes to treating any and all pain, and inflammation. Yet we still often overlook the benefits of ibuprofen therapy when it comes to treating chronic muscle cramps.

Thank you for reminding us of this. Ibuprofen is a safe drug with few real side effects. It is relatively cheap, and available without a prescription. Those of us who suffer from the twitches and muscle cramps on a regular basic might benefit from a small dose on a regular basis.

Food for thought!

John
"If you're going through hell, keep going!"
Sir Winston Churchill
twitchinjohnny
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby BFSBurger on November 29th, 2012, 8:58 pm

I randomly ran across a post from a BFS'er on here in the "Search" who says ibuprofen did not help him with his pain.

Its possible it may help some here, and not others. I am slowly realizing that my condition is inflammatory in nature. Or may be. So this may be why it helped my particular pain.

It may be an interesting and safe way for some people here to test whether their BFS is responsive to anti-inflammatories, by taking Ibuprofen and seeing if they feel more "calm" in general, and symptomatically.

If the answer is yes, you may be dealing with an inflammatory version of this condition which, with the supervision of a doctor, may respond well to long term low dose (5mg eod) corticosteroid therapy.

Just keep it in mind. And the test is very easy. I would try 800mg however (4 advils). Assuming you know for sure you can take NSAIDS.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on November 30th, 2012, 10:23 am

BFSBurger wrote:I randomly ran across a post from a BFS'er on here in the "Search" who says ibuprofen did not help him with his pain.

Its possible it may help some here, and not others. I am slowly realizing that my condition is inflammatory in nature. Or may be. So this may be why it helped my particular pain.

It may be an interesting and safe way for some people here to test whether their BFS is responsive to anti-inflammatories, by taking Ibuprofen and seeing if they feel more "calm" in general, and symptomatically.

If the answer is yes, you may be dealing with an inflammatory version of this condition which, with the supervision of a doctor, may respond well to long term low dose (5mg eod) corticosteroid therapy.

Just keep it in mind. And the test is very easy. I would try 800mg however (4 advils). Assuming you know for sure you can take NSAIDS.

The problem with NSAIDS is that they destroy your liver, and aren't terribly healthy for the GI system, either. You may have less cramping, but then you'll get an ulcer, or need a liver transplant. :( Unfortunately, we often need to choose the lesser of two awful evils. Cramping and spasm suck, but GI bleeding and liver failure suck a lot worse.

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby Lifewithbfs on November 30th, 2012, 1:11 pm

SuziQ wrote:
BFSBurger wrote:I randomly ran across a post from a BFS'er on here in the "Search" who says ibuprofen did not help him with his pain.

The problem with NSAIDS is that they destroy your liver, and aren't terribly healthy for the GI system, either. You may have less cramping, but then you'll get an ulcer, or need a liver transplant. :( Unfortunately, we often need to choose the lesser of two awful evils. Cramping and spasm suck, but GI bleeding and liver failure suck a lot worse.

Blessings,
Sue

I Agree its dose cause other things, but , I have seen my grandma to use 3 times a days , it use to give her some relief from her bad back pain, I had seen she took till she die more then 10 year. But it would be wise to let PD know about it what you talking , me its not work so much but still I get once in while when I have really bad ache :cry: still don't know it's works or not
Lifewithbfs

Postby twitchinjohnny on November 30th, 2012, 3:00 pm

When it comes to liver issues, acetaminophen (Tylenol) is the one to watch out for.
"If you're going through hell, keep going!"
Sir Winston Churchill
twitchinjohnny
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SuziQ on November 30th, 2012, 11:20 pm

twitchinjohnny wrote:When it comes to liver issues, acetaminophen (Tylenol) is the one to watch out for.

Yes, Tylenol too. But NSAIDS, as well, plus they rip holes in your stomach.
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on December 3rd, 2012, 9:25 pm

It would take quite awhile before that kind of damage would occur though.

Definitely they are not for long term use. But to relieve something severe for a period, they are good.

I damaged my neck in an athletic event that just would not heal. The inflammation around the muscle stayed, despite waiting weeks for it to calm down and heal. I finally gave in and began dosing myself with ibuprofen. As little as I could, and gave it 2 or 3 weeks. It was not until I did this that the inflammation died down enough to allow the affected muscle to heal. Once I went off the ibuprofen, there was no more pain, and it never came back. That was after nearly a month of pain prior. So they do have their use.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management