Does anyone relate their BFS symtoms to Parkinson's Disease?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Does anyone relate their BFS symtoms to Parkinson's Disease?

Postby BFS-twitcher on November 12th, 2012, 6:30 pm

I feel like BFS has turned me into a hypochondriac!

All of my symtoms of BFS like muscle twitching, finger tremor, jaw tremor, eye twitching and shakiness feeling at night has got me paranoid about these symtoms being early signs Parkinson's Disease instead of BFS. Am I the only one who feels like this?

I feel like I this is really consuming most of my days now...

Has anyone else been paranoid about PD with all these symtoms?
BFS-twitcher

Re: Does anyone relate their BFS symtoms to Parkinson's Dise

Postby andrewbfs on November 13th, 2012, 9:18 am

Count me in. The thread that probably best describes my situation is here: http://www.aboutbfs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18029.

I am basically a hypochondriac, too, so I can relate to the constant worrying.

I think the fact that subtle signs of Parkinson's can supposedly be seen long before diagnosis adds to my concerns. That, plus the fact that there isn't yet any definitive way to rule it out -- unlike some of the other diseases we fear here, there's no test you can take that says "nope, you don't have it."

At my last neuro appointment 6 months ago, my neuro said "I think you'd be seeing more issues if you had something wrong with you," which I interpreted as: "yes, you have some issues, but not enough for any kind of diagnosis, other than anxiety--yet." And that "yet" is what eats at me (along with the lack of a definitive test).

So, in short, BFStwitcher, you're not alone. :)
andrewbfs

Postby BFS-twitcher on November 13th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Andrew what Symtoms of BFS do you have or have you had
BFS-twitcher

Postby andrewbfs on November 14th, 2012, 9:52 am

BFS-twitcher wrote:Andrew what Symtoms of BFS do you have or have you had

I should state up front that I have not been diagnosed BFS, or anything other than GAD, at this point. I obviously have a lot of health anxiety. Currently I'm on Paxil for the GAD. I've had two head and neck MRI's that were clean, reducing my fear of MS. Also a clean EMG/NCS. I do feel that my neurologist (who has since moved on to another practice) had an overstated view of my anxiety, for several reasons. I hope to see a new neuro in the future, but don't have any appointments as of now.

I started with widespread fasciculations about 3.5 years ago. They faded after about 1.5 years, but came back after a strong course of Omeprazole (Prilosec) for reflux. In the past 6 months, they've faded again, but I still get one-timers and hot spots on a daily basis. No cramping or pain for me, thankfully.

Also I occasionally experience numb hands/fingers while sleeping, and occasional tingling/electric sensations in my legs (but not very frequently). Also a little bit of "buzzing" in my right thigh a couple of years ago, but not recently.

A year ago, I had some "perceived weakness" in my upper right arm, but I think that was anxiety-related.

Probably unrelated to BFS, but 2 years ago I experienced trigger finger in the middle fingers on both hands -- had to get cortisone injections to resolve that -- that's about 95% improved now.

But over the last 6 months or so, the symptoms that have concerned me the most have been jerking muscles, similar to sleep starts but they occur sometimes when I'm completely awake but at rest. Primarily shoulders and thighs, but sometimes neck, wrists, ankles, and even muscles near my mouth. I've even experienced them on occasion while asleep, as a couple of times recently I've been awakened by an arm jerking. Generally speaking, I sleep reasonably well. Sometimes I have trouble falling asleep due to the jerks, but that issue comes and goes.

In that same 6 month time frame, I noticed occasional ratcheting of muscles when moving. It seems to increase during cold weather, as I first noticed it last winter, and it went away during the summer, but seems like it might be returning now with the cold weather.

Over the past year or so, I've noticed my typing dexterity/accuracy isn't what it used to be, as well as accuracy with cursive handwriting.

In addition to all that, as I mentioned in the link I provided, I've always had a bit of essential tremor, and some postural tremor, too.

I don't go searching for PD info or visit any other fourms, as I don't want to worry myself more than I already have. :)

I think that sums up my situation; can't think of any more at the moment. Any other questions, feel free to ask.
andrewbfs

Postby jorge on November 15th, 2012, 6:18 am

Well, I have been through the PD fear phase, but now this is past. When the postural tremor started I freaked out. I felt the tremor in my hands, arms, legs, jaw. The more I worried, the worse it got. I also feel “ratcheting” muscles when I move my arms and wrist. After talking to my neurologist and doing some research, I understood that these symptoms are not related to PD. The PD tremor is different; it is a low-frequency resting tremor, while the tremor in BFS is postural and has a higher frequency. Also, there is no cogwheeling rigidity in BFS. Do not worry about PD.
jorge

Postby andrewbfs on November 16th, 2012, 11:08 am

jorge wrote: Also, there is no cogwheeling rigidity in BFS. Do not worry about PD.

Wouldn't that be more of a reason for concern, rather than less? I interpret the "ratcheting" I experience as, potentially, cogwheeling rigidity. What is the difference between them? How can we tell the difference?
andrewbfs

Postby jorge on November 17th, 2012, 9:00 am

As far as I know, you can fell ratcheting when you move a muscle and the movement is not “smooth”. On the other hand, rigidity is detected on the relaxed muscle. The cogwheeling rigidity test must be performed by a doctor. With your muscles relaxed, the doctor moves your hand up and down and check for muscle rigidity.
jorge

Postby andrewbfs on November 17th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Thanks for the clarification, jorge. It makes sense.

I am freak-out mode more than usual today. Ever since the weather has turned colder, I've felt my ratcheting get worse, and have noticed an upturn in my "shakiness," body-wide, as if I'm over-caffeined, even when I'm not. Then today, I was outside at a sporting event in 45-degreee weather for several hours, and my hands (wrists and thumbs) were tremoring quite easily. NOT fasciculations or movements related to twitching, but to my eye it was very much like what PD would look like. Holding a cup, or just putting my left hand out in front of me, the wrist and especially thumb would start wiggling pretty noticeably. After 5 or so seconds, I could stop it, but for the first 5 seconds it was uncontrollable and very ominous-looking.

Once I got back indoors, things stabilized, but that was a disturbing experience.

I'm really beginning to feel like I am in the early stages of showing PD symptoms...this sort of goes beyond BFS (which, as I mentioned, my twitching has not been that bad, relatively speaking, over the past 6 months). If it wasn't for the fact that some people here occasionally have similar symptoms, I'd consider myself to be "beyond" this site and into more dire situations.

Not in a good place at the moment....
andrewbfs

Postby jorge on November 17th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Andrew, search for “tremor” on this forum. You will see that many others have this symptom too, me included. Reading the posts helped me a lot to get out of the PD fear. It is not a good place indeed, but with time you will learn to deal with it. Fasciculation is just one part of BFS, and sometimes it is not the worst part.
jorge

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management