Did i get this from wellbutrin?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Did i get this from wellbutrin?

Postby Vincent K on November 7th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Hello,

I am new to the bfs community. I have suffered with this syndrome for almost 4 years. I have been to three neurologists with this diagnosis. I will completely honest. This is horrible. I have tried magnesium, spices, minerals and nothing will decrease or eliminate the twitches. I twitch every where and every day. I have learned to ignore it but it annoys the hell out of me. I have been taking klonopin to reduce my anxiety for 2 years now. I need to have some hope these awful things will go away on there own. i am not concerned with ALS as this would have happened to me years ago. I am just sick, mentally, from these *beep* twitches. Also, i am a recovering alcoholic and have been sober for 5.5 years. I took welbutrin for two years and stopped after i started this twitching nightmare. I still think wellbutrin caused my twitches but of course the doctors say no. Is there any thing i can try to help with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Vincent K
Interested
Interested

Re: Did i get this from wellbutrin?

Postby seventhcandle on November 7th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Good lord, 4 years, that's a long time. What has the pattern of your bfs been like during this time? I know Wellbutrin can cause twitching...it has in other people. How often would you say you twitch now compared to when it first started and have you ever gotten a break from it? And how much klonopin have you been on for the past 2 years? Taking a benzo for that long can probably exacerbate this condition. Wow, I feel for you.
Been on the BFS journey since 6/26/12...

Twitch way do I go from here?

BFS does get better with time. Almost two years in and able to do almost everything I could do before I had this condition. Still twitching away of course...
seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Vincent K on November 7th, 2012, 4:50 pm

I have gotten 0 breaks from this. Any thoughts on what i can do. It is driving me nuts?
Vincent K
Interested
Interested

Postby seventhcandle on November 7th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Vincent K wrote:I have gotten 0 breaks from this. Any thoughts on what i can do. It is driving me nuts?

Well, I haven't had this condition as long as you have...only a little over 4 months for me, but I too twitch everywhere from head to toe every second of the day and night and I have also been trying all sorts of different things with no luck. It seems like medication-induced muscle twitching (which is what I and several others on here have) is the worst kind that doesn't seem to remit with anything. Why that is I have no idea. I think the answer to this is we need to press neurologists to study this further...they just don't give a crap...I'm sure you've been to several and felt let down like I have. God, I wish I had an answer for you...it must be hell to have gone through 4 years of this crap. I am trying some dietary modifications and I will let you know if anything works, but so far, haven't really noticed a difference.

BFS does get better with time. Almost two years in and able to do almost everything I could do before I had this condition. Still twitching away of course...
seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Vincent K on November 7th, 2012, 5:03 pm

I remember the first four months. It was hell so i feel for you. I thought it would go away after a couple months. I have one question for you. Before this started i had a worm like movement in my right hand that lasted for hours. After that moment and that day, nothing but twitching, like it escaped from my hand. Also, mine have calmed down since they first started and somedays i barely notice they are there, but they are. Neurologists are worthless with this. Keep me updated and did it start in your hand? Also, was in persion gulf in 1994,1995............i wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Vincent K
Interested
Interested

Postby seventhcandle on November 7th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Vincent K wrote:I remember the first four months. It was hell so i feel for you. I thought it would go away after a couple months. I have one question for you. Before this started i had a worm like movement in my right hand that lasted for hours. After that moment and that day, nothing but twitching, like it escaped from my hand. Also, mine have calmed down since they first started and somedays i barely notice they are there, but they are. Neurologists are worthless with this. Keep me updated and did it start in your hand? Also, was in persion gulf in 1994,1995............i wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I'm glad to hear yours have calmed down since they started. Mine started after taking a Unisom pill and they were only in my calves at the time (twitching). Then another Unisom pill later and they were in my legs, calves, feet, and arms. Switched from Unisom to Ambien and all hell broke loose - twitching from head to toe and everywhere in between, loss of deep sleep, muscle jerks at night, and sudden allergies to things I have never been sensitive to before that permanently worsen and spread my twitching (like cheeses, gatorade, lighting, etc.). I don't know what your first few months were like twitching-wise, but mine have been absolute hell...no breaks, only increases in intensity and location. I get thumping twitches now that last 3-6 seconds all over my body...very powerful and annoying.

My hand only seems to twitch if I use the computer too much or when I wake up in the morning...my fingers will twitch too. You are right about neurologists being useless in this regard...I've seen 5 so far with no luck.

seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Vincent K on November 7th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Good luck. I am looking at taking liquid magnesium. Cant stop trying.
Vincent K
Interested
Interested

Postby seventhcandle on November 7th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Vincent K wrote:Good luck. I am looking at taking liquid magnesium. Cant stop trying.

Thanks. I tried magnesium citrate for awhile with no success, but it may work for you.

seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Seepi27 on November 7th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Vincent K wrote:I remember the first four months. It was hell so i feel for you. I thought it would go away after a couple months. I have one question for you. Before this started i had a worm like movement in my right hand that lasted for hours. After that moment and that day, nothing but twitching, like it escaped from my hand. Also, mine have calmed down since they first started and somedays i barely notice they are there, but they are. Neurologists are worthless with this. Keep me updated and did it start in your hand? Also, was in persion gulf in 1994,1995............i wonder if that has anything to do with it.

From what I have read of your story, your twitching could be down to any of a number of things, alcohol withdrawal being just one of them. The fact that you've been on klonopin for two years is also not without relevance: if you've been on the same dose for all this time, it's probably of little therapeutic use to you right now and I'd wager that you are probably suffering interdose withdrawal, too. Your doctor should never have let you go beyond two weeks on that stuff, let alone two years. I am currently in benzo withdrawal too, so know only too well the problems these toxic medications can cause.

As for the Wellbutrin, well, along with many other meds that one can cause twitching, so it's a possibility, but one which you will never be able to pin down and say, 'Yes, that is what caused it.' The same applies to your spell in the Gulf; I'm assuming you're thinking of Gulf War Syndrome?

In short, then, there is no easy answer as to why you twitch, and also no easy solution. The big positive, of course, is that you're aware that it's benign, and that should give you great comfort. The rest is a matter of time, a healthy lifestyle and plenty of patience. Prayer is also helpful, should you be that way inclined.
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Vincent K on November 7th, 2012, 7:27 pm

- My doctor doesnt think the dosage or usage is a problem. I still get the same affect as i did two years ago. The worm thing that started the whole twitching is odd and that is what i was wondering about.
Vincent K
Interested
Interested

Postby Seepi27 on November 9th, 2012, 11:33 am

Vincent K wrote:- My doctor doesnt think the dosage or usage is a problem. I still get the same affect as i did two years ago. The worm thing that started the whole twitching is odd and that is what i was wondering about.

Would that be the same doctor who says that Wellbutrin can't cause twitching?

Any doctor who prescribes benzos for as long as your doctor has prescribed them should be taken outside and shot. Simple as.

I bet he tells you it's ok to just stop taking them, too.

All the best with that...
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management