Slurred speech & Sore tongue-ALS worry

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby Andy_twitcher on October 24th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Hi all. I’m new to this forum and wondered if anyone could shed any light on some very odd symptoms I’ve been having. About 5 months ago I developed some pains in the small joints of my right hand and right foot, these pains then migrated to the left side. This was followed by a non-blanching rash on each foot. This prompted me to pay my first visit to the doctors. The rash cleared up after a few days but since then things have really snowballed. Pains to wrists, elbows, shoulders and neck were accompanied by a feeling of weakness to my left arm and intermittent feelings of burning/pins and needles in limbs and random twitching in various parts of my body. These symptoms have at times been accompanied by a feeling of total exhaustion and a feeling of being close to tears when not feeling upset about anything. I’ve had several visits to the doctors since my initial trip and had numerous blood tests, all of which have been normal. For the last couple of months I have had a constant ache behind my left knee and to my left ankle and a feeling of altered sensation and awkwardness to my left foot. My left calf appears to be twitching almost constantly. I can’t always feel the twitches, they just appear as tiny ripples under the skin. 3 days ago I went for a relatively short walk and on return the toes on my left foot felt like they were on fire, a quite intense burning sensation which lasted all that evening. Along with these symptoms, for the last few months I’ve had a burning sensation to the left side of the tongue, saliva pooling in the base of my mouth, a feeling of mucus in the throat. Also my palate feels sore sometimes when talking and over the last few weeks I’ve started to slur certain words. I know this is a real mixed bag, but wondered if it sounded familiar to anyone? My GP has referred me to see a Rheumatologist (not sure this is the right route, but hopefully a start to getting some answers). Until then I am now feeling in limbo, can’t help but worry that the oral symptoms along with the fasciculation’s are a sign of bulbar onset ALS/MND. Many of the joint pains now only surface occasionally but the aches to the left leg, the twitches and the oral symptoms are almost constant, whilst that feeling of weakness to the left arm still surfaces regularly. Away from these symptoms I have a very happy and fulfilling life so it’s hard to imagine that anxiety could be the cause of any of this. Hope this makes sense to someone and thanks for reading.
Andy_twitcher
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics