Muscle pain...what helps???

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Muscle pain...what helps???

Postby Tobes on October 22nd, 2012, 4:32 am

Hi everybody,

if you're a follower of my success stories thread, you know that I am dealing with increasingly bad muscle pain.

It's not just fatique or perceived weakness. Or not just soreness like you have overdone it at the gym.

It's pain and it bothers me quite a bit. :evil:

So, there's a lot to read about this in the archives but I want to reach out anyhow to all 'active' BFSers to ask for your experiences with muscle pain.

First: Do you know what I am talking about?

Second: What the hell can I do?
What have you found to be helpful?

Hot baths?
Sauna?
Cold packs?
Self-massage? But how to do this, exactly?
Stretching? But how?
Exercise? How?
Medication?
Minerals, Vitamins, whatever?

Any hint would be highly appreciated, so thanks in advance!!
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf!
Tobes

Re: Muscle pain...what helps???

Postby Yuliasir on October 22nd, 2012, 7:15 am

Hi Tobes, in fact, it depends of what kind of pain do you have... because muscles can be achy due to muscle tissue inflammation - the you rahter need streoides or non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs. if the pain comes tue to muscular strain, thn self-massge or professional massage is ok. To do self-massage you might just start with soft hand movements along your body (as far as I remember, direcdtion must be from ankles to waist, to help your venous drain). If that is a nerve pain (which has specific patterns and often is described as fire-like, shooting, pulling, electrical jolts, etc,.), then distracting therapy might be helpful, i.e. alternating hot and cold patches to the most painful spots.
You mentioned some bowel troubles, so your pain might be a result of intoxication (when I am quite sick - even with the flu - I have a hell of it in my legs), in that case some extra water might help (if you do not have any troubles with kidneys).

I wonder what could be the reason for such intence muscle pain... usually it is still inflammation,but the most specific case of overall muscular pains which I can rememeber is trichinellosis, and I suppose you did not consume raw pork meat? it is still probably a kind of reaction on any infection yu might have, so it should go away in few days.
good steretching excersises are, for examplt, old Jamie's "8 minute ABS, LEGS, ARMS and BUNS", they include also 8 minute stretch group - excellent even for us :)
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Floydian on October 22nd, 2012, 8:34 am

Hi Tobes,

First: If it's a burning nerve pain that's present 24/7 than I know what you're talking about. I had it a few months, continuously 24/7.
I still have flare ups of this kind of pain but it is (luckily) less present than before.

Second: I tried almost everything, hot showers/baths and sauna visits tempered the pain but flared up again almost directly after it. So it definitely helps but only for a short time unless you want to spent a whole day in a hot bath (not a bad idea btw :wink: )
I excercise and stretch my arms/hands every day with 4kg dumbles (advise from my manual therapist)
I take 2 calcium tabs and 1 B vitamin tab every day.
As I tried a lot of things (also rest and some meditation) it's difficult for me to say what really helps.
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management