A pep post...your favorite success stories!!!

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

A pep post...your favorite success stories!!!

Postby Tobes on September 28th, 2012, 6:37 am

I have been surfing around the archives quite a bit lately as my symptoms really have picked up speed over the last weeks.
And I have posted some threads myself hoping for sweet and soothing words of reassurance from some of the fine people here on the board...and I got them - and also some tough love, I have to add - and I am very grateful for that ideed.
Struggling with BFS and my anxiety I wondered "why the heck do you keep compulsively reading threads and archived posts?".
Because, while on the one hand, I really take comfort in what relaxed veterans say, I, on the other hand, get completely freaked when I read from some other fellow sufferer in his/her prime symptom/anxiety period. This always burns some worst case scenario right into my brain's limbic system, seeing myself as the worst BFS case ever, just a matter of time for all the bad stuff I haven't yet experienced to finally hit me bigtime. And this is going to be the end of it.
So, I chose to not read posts from other newbie BFS'ers - and I apologize for this, as it is not meant as heartlessness or as if I wouldn't sympathize or empathize with them.
By no means, it's exactly the opposite and I have to admit, I just can't handle it. At the moment, at least.

Instead, I keep searching for success stories in the archives, and...MAN!!...there's so many of them, recent ones and ones from way back.

And I thought "yeah, that's the good stuff!!".

And then I thought "wouldn't it be a good idea to collect those stories and put them all together for the anxious newbie to just click on them and read post after post after post about people having finally somehow conquered BFS and getting their life back."

And then I thought "Heck, this might be my little constructive contribution to the BFS collective."

So, that's why I start this thread. The idea might not be original, and quite possibly somebody else has thought about this before and I am just not aware of this, but, as someone pointed out recently: It really goes in circles, newbies popping in being scared right out of their minds, getting support from some vets who chose to stick around after their turnaround point just a little longer to share their wisdom...and then the next generation steps in and the whole cycle starts over again.

For all of you out there right at the beginning of your BFS/anxiety cycle, just like myself, this is for us.

You will read about people whose symptoms faded to the background or who even got rid of them altogether.
Or others, whose BFS hasn't really changed, but who indeed don't give a f* sh* anymore and live happily and fulfilled and sometimes even report enthusiastically about BFS giving them a new perspective on life and their on own place in the midst of the great thing called universe.

And I know, you have all read that exact same thing from some of the active veterans. But sometimes, it is a matter of numbers.

So, if you find such stories somewhere in the archives, keep 'em coming!.

But keep true to the spirit of the thread, which basically is: "There is really nothing to worrry about, we are all going to be fine. Just like them."

Hope, you'll enjoy reading my first nomination for "positive read of the day".

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14675
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf!
Tobes

Re: A pep post...your favorite success stories!!!

Postby chrissi on September 28th, 2012, 7:46 am

My favourite success story was the story of Suzy Q. Because she had the same severity of symptoms me and leanne (mommylondon) had then, which were at some point really disabling. Leanne was halfway through when I joined the board, had already lost many of the symptoms by then and pointed me towards suzy. When I read those stories, and the happy end seeing how she got totally rid of her BFS, I knew I would be OK sooner or later :D
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 28th, 2012, 8:05 am

Excellent idea for a thread. I wish there were more like this one. I'll try to keep mine short and sweet. During the initial stages, I was sure BFS was the worst thing that had ever happened to me. Now... I believe it is one of the best things that ever happened to me and I wouldn't change a thing. I consider myself cured of BFS and only return periodically to check up on how everyone is doing.

The short story answer to how I got better is by never giving in to the idea that BFS is permanent. I can't tell you the hurdles that were constantly thrown in my path and all the times it woud have been easier to give in to the fear and the negativity. I always believed in my heart though that BFS could be beat. I believe in the power of intentions and I just made that intention so strong in my mind that there wasn't any room for doubt.

I could go through all the details of what I did and how I did it, in fact I've posted a lot on this, but I strongly believe that unless you yourself get rid of your own negativity whatever it is that brought you to the point of getting BFS will still maintain its hold on you. If I can change to being more positive than negative, anyone can.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Tobes on September 28th, 2012, 8:33 am

Hey, Chrissi and SAM thanks for pitching in!!! :-))

From Chrissi's hint I stumbled across some more posts fit for this thread:

That one's a success story because of the great spirit and humor it emanates amongst all that BFS-crazyness:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6476

And this one is to introduce an All-Time-BFS-Great whose wisdom has apparently helped many, many people who came before us:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6770

Gee, this is fun... :-)
Tobes

Postby Bosley22 on September 28th, 2012, 12:21 pm

hey tobes, i got one. its probably my favorite post ever. It's hilarious, enjoy! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3363&p=20858&hilit=fijian+fisherman#p20858

Good thread, chad
Bosley22

Postby Tobes on September 28th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Good one, thanks!! :D :D :D

Just too good to get dusty down in the archives!!

Keep digging, people!!
Tobes

Postby perform on September 29th, 2012, 4:56 am

I'm closing in on 1 year since I joined this board and well over a year with BFS symptoms. I updated all my old posts 4 months ago and I'm happy to report that I feel even better now. The original text of my old posts is still there (as well as the updates) if you want to read them to see how terrible I was feeling. My BFS symptoms are so much more manageable now.

I especially want to stress to people experiencing tongue/mouth issues: You will be fine. No matter how bad and messed up it feels, no matter how much you think you're having difficulty speaking or swallowing or anything else, you WILL be fine and you WILL get past this. Read my old posts for proof!

I still twitch and I imagine I am forever a BFSer but after over a year of this I know I am fine! It has become background noise and I go days without even noticing or thinking about it. I see new members join constantly and they all end up like the rest of us: perfectly fine.

To recap: I was scared out of my mind, legs/arms shaking, fingers tremoring, felt like I couldn't swallow or speak properly, always playing with and examining my tongue, felt like I couldn't walk correctly, felt uncoordinated and had a lot of perceived weakness and sensory symptoms. I am experiencing none of that right now and when I do it is very minor. My symptoms wax and wane to a degree but I have seen a steady decline in their severity over time. You will too.

Edit Here are some direct links to a couple threads I made:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16919
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16956
perform

Postby Tobes on September 29th, 2012, 9:46 am

Great, thanks!!

That is very good to read indeed, particularly as I'm personally dealing with perceived weakness and shaky hands and arms at this very moment.

So thanks, again!!! :D :D

Hope, you will be improving even more in the near future!!

Here's my today's positive read:

In case you ever wondered, where Mario has gotten his strong ideas from - apart from his own inspiring story, of course - and in case you ever wondered who this "kevintwister" is, he is telling about in his famous "How to beat BFS"-post and never bothered to find out for yourselves, read the following post.
However, I recommend to only read kevintwister's first post as the thread develops into something of a dogmatic quarrel, which I found a bit depressing and dampening the positive message keveintwister is offering to all BFSers.

So, enjoy yet another story about how things turned out good:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9225
Tobes

Postby MarioMangler on September 29th, 2012, 10:00 am

Yep, kevintwister is one of the three people (along with Arron and basso) who helped me the most. Everyone should read his story.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby Tobes on September 30th, 2012, 12:44 am

Yesterday, I had my first taste of serious perceived weakness. My muscles were so sore and my legs so rubbery or leaden, that I thought I couldn't finish the shopping in the supermarket. Tonight, I woke up several times and my whole body felt sore and heavy and if my muscles were slowly burning from the inside.

Guess what?

This completely freaked me out, immmediately envisioning myself being bound to bed or a wheelchair in due time, not being able to do what I love to do, walking, cycling, going out, ever again. Not to speak of all my life plans I am hoping for.

Of course, this is complete catastrophizing anxiety BS, as any vet will tell me.
And my sense and my training as a psychologist (research, not clinical), as well, for that matter, if I give them a long break to start working properly.

So, what eased my mind is again yet another great survivor's tale from somebody who has been there, who has seen and dealt with it and...SURPRISE...who's doing not only good but even excellent after several years in this BFS-paradise of ours.

The little collection might appear to already get a bit redundant at this point.

But not quite as redundant as ever returning fearful and catastrophizing thoughts, being engraved into our brain ever more deeply, becoming chronic memories being tapped into at every little event, no matter how insignificant it may be.

So, the redundancy of positive thoughts and images are one thing to fight the intrusive buggers and re-program the brain.

And the cool thing is, these positive stories are not made up and they are not rare, either. It's not hollow, unfounded positive thinking mumbo-jumbo, nope, it really is commonplace.

Just like any vet will tell you..and as you have already read right from the beginning in "BFS in a nutshell".

Some day, hopefully rather sooner than later, we'll be telling a similar story and life will be great again.

There's ample evidence and good reason to believe.

Gosh, I just love reading these stories. :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13160
Tobes

Postby SuziQ on September 30th, 2012, 4:15 am

YAY! Great idea!
Yes, Tobes, PG is one of my favorite posters, ever....

(Scan through the whole SERIES of posts, because it sounds grim, at first...but that's why I LOVE it...)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4681&p=30672&hilit=+mayo#p30672

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4682&p=30679&hilit=+mayo#p30679

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4683&hilit=+mayo

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4684&p=30688&hilit=+mayo#p30688

Despite his initial statements to the contrary, JG did, ultimately return to the forum a few months later and continued to be an even greater contributor.

Those of us who have had particularly debilitating and sucky symptoms can relate, and find hope in Pug's story.

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on September 30th, 2012, 4:54 am

Hey that is pretty cool, I have never stumbled over PG BUT apparently the story is a lot like mine was. I really like this thread ;)
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Tobes on September 30th, 2012, 8:21 am

Hey, thanks a bunch, that is really cool!! :D

Particularly to the vets, Mario, Sue and Chrissi, I'm really glad you like the idea.

Besides, I imagine you would know many of these stories which are actually hard to find with the search function.

But it seems, I'm not done, yet, by far!!!!

So, I'll keep on digging and sharing my little AboutBFS-selfhelp-positive-thinking-therapy with anyone who might also have a liking for this sort of thing!!

Cheers to heads held high,

Tobes
Tobes

Postby Tobes on September 30th, 2012, 11:36 am

Due to recent events, I nominate a new post for this thread right away.

Hoping of course, that I - and hopefully others - will keep this thread alive for quite some while.

Would be a shame, if this great report would get lost in the depths of the archives.

There you have it again, same old story with a happy end:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18126

Heads up everybody, all of us can get there!! :D
Tobes

Postby Tobes on September 30th, 2012, 11:47 am

And a rather old one.

There's really sooooo many of these posts around.

You got to read for yourselves to believe.

That's it for today folks. More good stories to come.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2810
Tobes

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to The Support Group