Take control of your fears and life-Meditation for beginners

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Take control of your fears and life-Meditation for beginners

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 12th, 2012, 1:41 pm

If it is one thing that BFS sufferers seem to agree on it is that stress contributes to the severity of their symptoms. If it is another thing BFS sufferers agree on it is that fear is a great source of anxiety, but many feel powerless to stop it. Everyone wants a magic pill or a quick fix to just make it all go away. Unfortunately that pill and quick fix does not exist. It is within each one of you to take back that power you give away each day because of your fears. Your mind works for you, not the other way around. So why do we give our mind and fears power over our lives? It is possible to dicipline your mind and quiet it down. Fears are not without their purpose, but it is when we don't process them or integrate them and let them run wild that we wind up in a state of stress and anxiety. The key is meditation.

Meditation is not religious although it can be. It is non-denominational. Studies have shown time and time again that meditation has all kinds of health benefits and promotes emotional balance and stability. It does take work though. It is not a quick fix. It will make a possitive impact though if you stick with it. Through meditation you can get in touch with the aspects of your subconscious that cause the runaway freight train of thoughts in response to the fears you have. You can properly process, accept and integrate your fears and learn to train your mind to calm down in response, rather than ramp up. For those interested in learning more the web is full of resources. Here is a link that I found helpful with 20 key pointers for beginners: http://zenhabits.net/meditation-for-beg ... -the-mind/

Everyone is different though and will have to find the method that works best for them. If you are having problems with fear and anxiety though, please consider giving this a serious try over a period of time. I have to say that meditation changed my life in dramatic ways, all for the better.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Re: Take control of your fears and life-Meditation for beginners

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 12th, 2012, 1:46 pm

Also, a helpful fear processing meditation that I have found particularly helpful myself can be found here:

http://www.ascension101.com/en/fear-pro ... rcise.html

If you want to download the mp3 it is $3.33 but the entire verbiage is listed out below if you just want to read it yourself and go self guided. I particularly find her voice very relaxing and think its worth the $3.33, but that's just me. :)
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on September 12th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Thank you for the two links, I'll read them and try to make the best of them ;-)
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on September 12th, 2012, 5:11 pm

I know in the past when I've meditated (which I admittedly don't do nearly enough) -- it has slowed my twitching substantially. And, I think I've heard others claim the same. I think there's a lot to the power of meditation. I'm likely going to order the Jon Kabbot Zin book the article mentioned; it got great reviews on Amazon.

Thanks S.A.M. for pointing out to everyone how important it is to get our stress over this under control. Not only does stress aggravate your symptoms, but wreaks havoc on your health.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on September 13th, 2012, 1:35 am

How do you overcome twitches distracting you when doing parts to focus on the body parts? I find that part particulary hard as I am already too focused on my body parts.
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 13th, 2012, 9:34 am

jerry2 wrote:How do you overcome twitches distracting you when doing parts to focus on the body parts? I find that part particulary hard as I am already too focused on my body parts.

Jerry2, this is of course easier said than done and takes some practice, but the key is to look at them more from the perspective of an observer without judgement or frustration. In a state of deep relaxation you are attempting to take a step backward from everything in your life, including your physical body and your mind. From a pure consciousness perspective observe how your mind and physical body interact with eachother. Again, don't judge or send frustration in their direction, just observe and listen. If a muscle twitches, just acknowledge and accept it. Then carry on.

Part of the reason stress is so hard on our bodys and minds is because it is a friction or a resistance between the two. When you quiet your mind, take a step back and just observe you also let go of those things that cause that friction and resistance. Sounds strange and confusing I know, but give it a shot. The more you go to this state of relaxation the easier it will get each time. The more regularly you quiet your mind, the easier it will be to maintain that calm relaxed state throughout your waking day, every day. The calmer and more relaxed you are, the less impact stress has on you and therefore the better your BFS symptoms will be. Stick with it a while and see for yoruself.

I'll be happy to answer questions and support any way I can.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on September 13th, 2012, 10:23 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:
jerry2 wrote:How do you overcome twitches distracting you when doing parts to focus on the body parts? I find that part particulary hard as I am already too focused on my body parts.

Jerry2, this is of course easier said than done and takes some practice, but the key is to look at them more from the perspective of an observer without judgement or frustration. In a state of deep relaxation you are attempting to take a step backward from everything in your life, including your physical body and your mind. From a pure consciousness perspective observe how your mind and physical body interact with eachother. Again, don't judge or send frustration in their direction, just observe and listen. If a muscle twitches, just acknowledge and accept it. Then carry on.
I'll be happy to answer questions and support any way I can.

Thank you, that is a good advice. I was taking meditation lessons in part of my yoga class in april this year. We didn't only mediate but meditation was especial hard to me. As I said, focusing on my leg that twitched was really hard just to observe without fear, because the twitching were scaring me obviously (the one who said the only fear is the feat itself obviously didn't have a disease) and they were desoncentrating me. On top of it I felt it more that if I am in action naturally. The meditator told focus on the leg and anything you feel, know it is nothing serious and I thought immediately: Well, if it is not ALS I agree, but I am not 100%, am I... So this was hard for me.

The other part of the meditation is where we "left our bodies" and become bigger and were looking from above and from the whole Earth and planet... I mean, I tried to stay focused, but it was very hard. I had a feeling this is my imagination (the vision) working, imagining me above our city and the mediator told us this is our conscicnense going out of the body. I didn't feel it like this, I felt like I am trying hard to IMAGINEthat I am there. I didn't see things from abvove I was trying to imagine how would be like to be above, there is a difference. I felt this ws my imagination (and not very good) not my "soul" or whatever going out from my body and observing things. I felt like I am in my body still, I am just trying my imagination, fantasysing etc. to be as real as possible. I really didn't felt this out of the body experience like some others who seem to be in a state of some trans when doing this. I could not see very good the Earth as I was imagining I am above the skies, I was not experiencing it if you know what I want to say. I am trying but I am not there (yet).

About the links you gave me. The one with fear that you imagine it, greet it and thank it and then let it go. For example, does it means that I greet and grow my pain, twitching and numbness in one limb for example or do I meditate to meet my fear (which is still ALS yes - no flaming please) and I "greet" ALS and thank it that I don't have it and let it go? Is the fear the body problem or is the fear ALS? I would say the latter but how to I let it grow and be bigger (it is already big enough I think ;-).

If you can advise me in this theoretical, I know, questions, as you see I am trying which I hope can be seen from the questions I ask now.

Thank you again for your support
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 13th, 2012, 12:31 pm

jerry2 wrote:Thank you, that is a good advice. I was taking meditation lessons in part of my yoga class in april this year. We didn't only mediate but meditation was especial hard to me. As I said, focusing on my leg that twitched was really hard just to observe without fear, because the twitching were scaring me obviously (the one who said the only fear is the feat itself obviously didn't have a disease) and they were desoncentrating me. On top of it I felt it more that if I am in action naturally. The meditator told focus on the leg and anything you feel, know it is nothing serious and I thought immediately: Well, if it is not ALS I agree, but I am not 100%, am I... So this was hard for me.

The other part of the meditation is where we "left our bodies" and become bigger and were looking from above and from the whole Earth and planet... I mean, I tried to stay focused, but it was very hard. I had a feeling this is my imagination (the vision) working, imagining me above our city and the mediator told us this is our conscicnense going out of the body. I didn't feel it like this, I felt like I am trying hard to IMAGINEthat I am there. I didn't see things from abvove I was trying to imagine how would be like to be above, there is a difference. I felt this ws my imagination (and not very good) not my "soul" or whatever going out from my body and observing things. I felt like I am in my body still, I am just trying my imagination, fantasysing etc. to be as real as possible. I really didn't felt this out of the body experience like some others who seem to be in a state of some trans when doing this. I could not see very good the Earth as I was imagining I am above the skies, I was not experiencing it if you know what I want to say. I am trying but I am not there (yet).

About the links you gave me. The one with fear that you imagine it, greet it and thank it and then let it go. For example, does it means that I greet and grow my pain, twitching and numbness in one limb for example or do I meditate to meet my fear (which is still ALS yes - no flaming please) and I "greet" ALS and thank it that I don't have it and let it go? Is the fear the body problem or is the fear ALS? I would say the latter but how to I let it grow and be bigger (it is already big enough I think ;-).

If you can advise me in this theoretical, I know, questions, as you see I am trying which I hope can be seen from the questions I ask now.

Thank you again for your support

Jerry2,

I know exactly where you are coming from, so don’t fret. You are not alone. It sounds like your yoga meditation leader was doing an exercise more for the adept while you are just a beginner. The only problem with something like that is that it has the potential to discourage a newcomer. I too struggled with weighing imagination vs. astral projection vs. out of body experiences and so on. I could get into my thoughts on the subject too, but you know what? It really doesn’t matter.

The key aspect to meditation that you are concerned with right now is just relaxing and gaining the perspective that will allow you to recognize a fear or a worry for what it is and to not get all worked up over them. Whether you are imagining, dreaming, or astral projecting does not matter. Did you relax? Did you stop the freight train of thoughts? It sounds more like you just let the freight train get on another track and started to over analyze the experience you were having. That is exactly what I had happen to me at first. My mind was always racing. Even when I first started meditating my mind would try to over analyze what this meditation was and how it was working and if I was doing it right.

None of that matters. The good news is that you took the first step and tried to relax. The next step is to stick with it and slow that freight train of thoughts down. It’s a gradual process, you don’t just stop a train on a dime. You put on the brakes first. One of the tricks that meditation for beginners uses is to focus on your breathing like waves on the beach. The simple repetitive in and out distracts your mind. The quiet can be scary at first because you are trained into a go, go, go mode 24-7. It gets easier.

The meditation exercise I provided is by a woman named Inelia Benz. She focuses on an aspect that we have an energetic component to who we are. Your thoughts and feelings are a part of you and this energy field. Her philosophy (as well as many eastern cultures) is that when we have a recurring fear it is just a part of ourselves trying to convey a message to us to warn us. Once this message has been delivered and received the energy that makes up that fear is now free to blend back into harmony with the rest of our energy field. It is believed that fears that continue to resonate in your energy field that don’t get reintegrated bring you out of balance and over time lead to disease. Essentially saying stress leads to disease. Sound familiar?

She says that by meditating and finding the energy of that fear and letting it express itself to you, that this allows you to fully listen to the message that is trying to be conveyed. If your fear is ALS and what it may do to you then you may observe all of the worst that can happen in your mind’s eye. Once the message has been delivered and acknowledged you can thank the fear for doing the job that it had to do and release it to blend back in and harmonize with the rest of your energy. This will not change the way that you feel about BFS or ALS, but what it should do is change the way that your body channels that energy. You may have to repeat several times and address multiple fears, especially since its been building for a while.

So when she says to let it grow and get as big as it can, she is basically saying to give the messenger the floor with your undivided attention. Let it run wild and give the message to you that it has been just dying to do over the last months, years, or however long. If you imagine your body and energy field as an instrument such as a violin, this fear energy would be one of the strings. If a string is out of tune you wouldn’t cut the string from the instrument. You listen to it and help it retune. Soon you’re back to playing beautiful music. In the same way this fear is a part of you and cannot be removed. Ignoring or suppressing only prolongs the problem and hurts the instrument as a whole.

I hope this helps explain it a little better. Let me know if you have any more questions.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on September 13th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Thanx for clarifying things. I was on couse 1 of Art of living and also couse 2 - art of silence where there was a lot of meditation. I think I went to soon to both curses, I had to much of it.

But you guessed my third problem, that I have even before I had BFS or whatever this is - I over examine things. My mind is working 24/7. My wife is puzzled how I can wake up at 5 AM and I am not able to fall back asleep sometimes, the thought just rush through my head and I can not stop them. Like I am some wierd... anyway. I wake up, feel first twitch and whole train of thought began to roll. But it was even before twitching. I knew I had to go up at 7 AM and I woke at 5 AM. Normal reacion is to be sleepy, look at the clock and fall back asleep. Not me, my heart starrted racing and I counted (lot literaly) the minutes I have left to the 7 AM and I coudln't fall asleep any more. So you can guess how hard is to meditate for me.

So I have to confront the ALS fear itself, all the suffering on tubes, vents etc. you think? I fear it will be worse for me if I go through it in my mind that it is now. But I was over this thought 1000 times already. But I guess I didn't approach it in this way as you advise now. I have myself seen in vent in my mind many times etc... And I don't know what the message want's to say to me at all. Warn me? I can escape many things, is ALS would be my destiny I can not escape it. There is no known cause and anything that can modify the curse of it. Maybe I should "give in" on it. Ok, this is how it feels if Ihave it and this is how I will die if I have it. So thank you for knowing it, but I am not diagnosed with it and my symptoms do mostly not point at it. Is that the way? Because many people tell the oposite, do not think about my fear (ALS) and ignore the thought. This seems the oposite as to what I would be doing here. In a way I am thinking about it and it has grown bigger than I can handle without any meditation ;.( I really would like to know, I am not just asking because I need to write something...

The meditation, excersises and the thinking of Yoga I find fascinating. The breathing is not for me though. It is a kind of hiperventilating things, my arms and head get so tingly I almost cry. They say it is not hyperventilation but I think it is and here is why my tingling comes. The only thing wierd is that NOT ALL of the people have it, but obviously all are hyperventilating, maybe the pace is different although the mediator on cassetes gives the speed.

And yes, you may guessed it. This 3 days in silence almost drove me nuts. For others it was great experience, I though I will explode from the silence. I guess that is from go go go you refer to 24/7 :-( Maybe this brought me to BFS, now my muscles are go go go...
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 13th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Jerry2,

You could try to look at things from a different perspective. Up until this point you have been presented by thoughts of a potential outcome that terrifies you, the fear of having ALS. Up until now you have done everything you can to get away from it. Ignore it, forget it, or suppress it. This has not worked because this fear is a part of you. It is an active vibration in your energy field as Inelia would say. You can no more get rid of it or remove it than you would be able to get rid of or remove your left arm. Its integral. The trick is not to remove it but to process it in a healthy manner. That’s what meditation is about.

Your fear of ALS obviously did not cause your BFS in the first place, but it is making your BFS worse. In a way it is possible this fear is reflecting back to you what caused you to develop BFS though. The way that you handle stress. You are most likely handling this fear the same way that you handled all your other stresses. Until you change the way that you handle stress, you will not be able to change the way that you are handling this fear.

The present is all that really matters. The past has brought us to where we are and the future is what we make of it. You can continue to worry about the things you regret in the past or the things you fear in the future, but all it does is make for a miserable present, which is all that really matters. Every moment is a new opportunity to take a new direction and to choose a new path.

You already know what your past stress management (or lack thereof) has led to. Your fear and its effects on you validate this to you every step of the way. Let go of the past and let go of the future. What happens always relies on what we do with the present. What steps you take from here are fully and completely under your control. Letting go of fears and frustration is completely different from wrestling them to the ground and/or suppressing them.

I’m not really sure what more I can say on this. I will try to answer any more questions the best I can. I know it’s a tough situation to be in, as I have been there. I wish there were a ‘how to guide’ that had all the answers. What I do know for sure though is that where there is a will there is a way. Hang in there.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on September 13th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Yes I know. I'll try as hard as I can, the thought are killing me yes. When I was reading your answer now my first thought was: yes I agree with everything if the problem (fear) would be like a wife/husband quarrel, boss at work, rheumathoid artrithis... if the fear is ALS and I have it for example, there is no future no matter what choice I make today, how I make of today. And that was with me my whole yoga lesson (60 hours), people had different kind of problems with life/money/health. But from the point of view of the fear I am having, this was all managable. One can change the present to influence the future of work, personal relations, dealing with managable disease. But when he said that to every problem there is solution etc. my first thought that stayed through the course was: Yes, but I guess you didn't hear of ALS, there is no solution to this in this life. I could deal with just about anything from rheumatism to cancer in this manner, try to change the present for a better future for me, but ALS fear is just beyond this somehow. There are not many things that are fatal with so much certanty. I am just thinking loud, I guess this is perhaps the reason I have such hard time dealing with this fear. And I am on the other hand not even very scared of dying. Like in a car crash, to have a stroke. The death does not scare me (at least not to greater degree that scares as all), but ALS is just something I felt is so much worse than death itself I can not express it. And I know if I don't deal with it (fear) I+ll have it for the rest of my life. Anybody can get it in the end of the day. It helps me with everything else, because I find most of the things I got upset once that they aren't worth upsetting about. This is the plus side. But I would like to live to the day I can proudly hang over my desk a note saying: You are upset? WOuld you rather have ALS? And I would say to myself: Guess I am not upset for that little thing that I have.

I was at a counceling and the therapist told me that the fear is usually approached by getting close to it (similar to your advise) but in reality. If you fear height go higher and higher and deal with it slowly. If you are afraid of the snakes, watch a movie, go to zoo, hold one (non poisenous). Ok, I know this is oversimplifying but this was an essense. To get to it and see it is only FEAR. Height doesn't kill, snakes if not poisionus don't kill, crowder place doesn't kill. I've read a few books of how to overcome different fear. The therapist told me this kind of fear is really hard to overcome, much harder than the fear you can at the end see is not so bad as you thought.

Problem with ALS fear is that I can not get near it, feel it and it doesn't kill. I can not say: what is the worst that can happen? I would have ALS. Ok, it won't kill. You can say that for 99.9% of the things that happen to you in life. Even for cancer. It may not kill you. But not for this. That's why it is so hard for me to lower the anxiety for this fear (as I did with some others in my life). Normal techniques to cut fear in pieces do not work. If you have it it is so deadly.

But yes, I understand what you are saying and I'll try to push meditation forward. And I know if I overcome this fear, I will be able to overcome any fear. Because it somehow can be done. I have ask my Yoga teacher about dying and told him about ALS, how you die etc. And I ask him if he would be afraid if he would be twitching and not 100% certain he didn't have it and he told me: I am not twitching but as you told me I can not be 100% certain I won't have it. And no, I would not be afraid. If this is what is meant for me so be it. It is for a reason and I accept it the way it comes.

I mean, I would like to be on this level of thinking, else fear will hunt me to the end. So thanks again for your advices, they were most valuable to me.
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 14th, 2012, 7:59 am

Another comment I would like to make is that for anyone who does not believe in this energy, that is completely fine. If you prefer you can just think of it as a way for you to visualize the interaction between your emotions/thoughts and your physical body. Some people have trouble visualizing and are more comfortable navigating based on impressions or feelings. There really is no right or wrong way to process them. Do what feels right and more natural to you.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)