Shoulder Pain

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Shoulder Pain

Postby blue123rd on August 11th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Does anyone from time to time get shoulder pain which after a couple days radiates down your arm. It gives me the feeling that once again is this the beginning of ALS.
blue123rd

Re: Shoulder Pain

Postby Yuliasir on August 12th, 2012, 1:54 am

But why ALS?
it usually has no pains in initial period. as far as I know.

The pain radiated down the arm might rather indicate you have your shoulder nerve pinched or irritated, whci often happens in BFS and/or in hypermobile people (shoulder is one of the joints most succeptible to hypermobility).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby volfan on August 12th, 2012, 10:22 am

Before I had my first twitch I had pain radiating down the back of both legs. In fact, I had already scheduled a doctor's appt to talk to her about the pain. The twitching started before the appt., however, so I talked to her about it as well when I went. She sent me to a neuro for a clinical exam who also ordered an EMG which I had done a couple of weeks later. Nothing was noted on the EMG or in the clinical that gave them concern. So I, like everyone else, live with the wide - and I do mean wiiiiide - variety of symptoms BFS "offers" us. Pain seems to be one of those for many including me. I now have pain radiating down my left arm. Big fun, but it certainly beats the alternative and that is a wonderful thing. Take care, Vicki
volfan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby plainslady on August 12th, 2012, 11:49 am

I had an incident of shoulder pain last month. It started out with pain in the area of my shoulder blade and the back of my shoulder itself. In a matter of days it spread to the front of my shoulder and started sending strong pain sensations into my upper arm area. Eventually it hurt down to my forearm and pinky finger. Along with this is also had quite a bit of popping and grinding in my shoulder anytime I moved it.

I treated it by icing the shoulder itself with a big gel pack and during the day I used a sling to quiet the shoulder. After 3 or 4 days the pain started to subside in my hand and forearm and worked its way up from there. After the pain was gone (about 6 days) I started with light range of motion and stretching. A month later...100% better.

I have no idea what caused it for sure, possibly from fishing I caused some tendonitis in the shoulder which is easily disabled by the smallest amount of swelling. My husband has chronic shoulder problems and his orthopedist says because of the intricate build of the shoulder there is little room for error, so a minor tendonitis or strain will cause symptoms much larger than the injury. A few years ago he lost the ability to raise his arm over his head and lost a good amount of strength in his arm. We never figured out exactly how he hurt it, but after lots of babying it and some PT, he was back to normal.

Sorry to be long winded in my response, but please don't worry about this pain being ALS. Injury to the shoulder is very common, and if you don't recall anything specific that could have led to it, that is okay. Simply sleeping wrong can be a culprit. Think of how much you use your arms during the day. It is easy to strain the shoulder without realizing it at the time.

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby jerry2 on August 13th, 2012, 9:26 am

I have shoulder pain in right shoulder, I can not lift the shoulder to my eye height without pain :-( This type of problem has NOTHING TO DO with ALS. I fear(ed) ALS for many things but never for shoulder pain :-) There is NO connecction.
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby dux on August 17th, 2012, 3:42 am

I too have shoulder upper arm pain and that no one can give me a direct diagnosis. It started as my BFS flared up again after many years. It is a pain that starts around where the tricep and deltoid muscles meet and goes down to just above my elbow. It is worse in the morning and gets better during the day but over all the pain is slightly coming down.
dux
Interested
Interested

Postby angusglover on August 28th, 2012, 12:44 pm

I also have the shoulder pain, mine generally during the day stays in my elbow and down to my fingers...I think its a nerve issue...
"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"
angusglover
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management