Protozoal Infection - interview of Medical Doctor

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Protozoal Infection - interview of Medical Doctor

Postby acudoc11 on July 18th, 2012, 9:59 am

http://www.iadvocatehealth.org/protozoa ... aspx#.aspx

Just another point of view of a chronic invader of the human system that has been around a long time greatly contirbuting to CFS.
There are purportedly 30 TRILLION body cells that make up a human and there are 10x mutliples of that in the form of bacteria, virus, fungus, parasites etc that live inside us. NOT all of them are bad. And most do no harm. From a recent article in the respected journal.... Scientific American.
acudoc11
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Protozoal Infection - interview of Medical Doctor

Postby mwagner on July 18th, 2012, 10:40 am

This is absolutely fascinating. I certainly hope research on this can move quickly. Interestingly enough, my BFS started last summer, and I had a slew of mosquito bites over the summer. Thanks for sharing.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on July 18th, 2012, 2:32 pm

acudoc11 - Thanks so much for posting this interview. :D Then possibly, it is not coincidence that my symptoms subsided when I went on a very low fat diet and then improved more when I started increasing soluble fiber to help lower cholesterol. The soluble fiber lowers visceral fat (and therefore less is available to feed the protozoans according to this research in progress). Not that you'd have to have high cholesterol to benefit from the low fat diet as he describes it. Plus I did, at the first, have the described adverse reaction and felt a bit worse for a while. I remember scouring the scientific literature when I noticed that my symptoms and cholesterol were progressing together and could find no link of causation etc - I wrote a few people (in dietetics, etc.) and and had an appt with a nutritionist; one did say that I should go with small amounts of lean meats or fish and not cut them out altogether and risk complications from low protein, that she had seen this was helpful with her patients who were fatigued. She didn't know about the cramps, fasics, and sensations. So it wasn't actually the cholesterol but just the available fat in my system feeding the critters that encouraged the bcfs symptoms if you accept the basis of this argument.

If this guy is correct in his basic assumptions, and it seems he has some solid evidence, it could explain the strange distribution across social levels, age, and countries that we see here at the forum. Mosquitos and protozoans are everywhere. The decreased blood flow due to the filaments in the blood would be complicated by further tension in the body and stress. Weird, I just replied to someone here that I have always found that low circulation (when the body is static, tense situations, cold) always made symptoms worse for me.

I've always advised people here to help themselves by eating well and getting moderate exercise as it helped me but this shines a whole new light on it. But it's true - it is a life change as you have to change eating habits and people don't want to do this as it seems too difficult and rather extreme. However, once you make the very real connection between feeling good and your low fat diet it is much easier to stay with it.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby acudoc11 on July 18th, 2012, 3:50 pm

Mitra
Research will continue but I suspect that it will be too slow. As ImOK says and I agree for what that is worth.....we need to modify our food and drink intake. I see it all the time in my own healthcare practice. People in general just want an easy out...a magic pill even if it's a supplement. I posted another thread about potassium channels. My BFS started last August 2011 under several triggers one of which was caused by my own laziness. Previous by two years I accepted the pushing of my GP to take hypertension medication. After two years of damaging my kidney tubules (causing potassium to get stuck) and toxicity to my liver....BFS began. Fascics have been reduced to a minor frequency and just several locations but ONLY after two days ago when I stumbled into the knowledge that the flavor enhancer called bergamot (toxic garbage) that is added to Earl Grey tea CAUSES muscle twitching and muscle cramping. Immediately within the two days upon eliminating my nightly drinking of one cup of tea the twitching is further reduced. Now I am not naive to believe that it was the ONLY thing that I have done in the past 11 months to improve BUT it certainly appears to have been a key component which was continuing the BFS. So....IMHO, BFSers need to pay attention to everything that goes into their bodies. Richard
acudoc11
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby lcanela on July 23rd, 2012, 12:53 pm

Guys this is really interesting, thanks for sharing it!

When reading I couldnt stop thinking about some people in this forum who have written explaining that candida was the source for their BFS and once they got rid of candida they have felt much better.

Have any of you read anything similar?

My point is that when atacking candida what they do appart from taking some benefitial bacteria like bifidus and other stuff like garlic cinnamon and anti fungus, mainly they cut their intakes of fats and carbos...increasing the ointake of vegetables, so, mainly this is a type of diet that would help people to recover from this protozoals as well.

I am not saying this is the cause for BFS but sounds plausible... some other people have written about taking "quinine" which is an anti malaric (protozoals are similar to malaria ) as well...

I remember someone stating that had bfs and after treating himself with quinine it disppeared but came back after one year and he was thinking to take some more quinine...

is it possible this is the cause ? we should all give at least 10 euros pounds or dollars each to support that research!!!

Cheers!
lcanela

Postby ag2002 on July 26th, 2012, 11:35 am

So when we are talking about low fat diets, what does that consist of? Is it mainly vegetables and fruit. How about omega 3 fatty acids from fish, would that be a fat to eliminate. Everyone always talks about how great omega 3's are. Has anyone else gone on a low fat diet and noticed there symptoms go down?
ag2002

Postby ag2002 on July 27th, 2012, 8:55 am

I did some research and found Dr. Fry's Lab. You can have your doctor order all of these tests. Now I don't know about insurance? Anyways, Is anyone willing to give this Dr. Fry a try?
ag2002

Postby acudoc11 on July 31st, 2012, 12:09 pm

Omega 3's ALSO come from plants.
acudoc11
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ImOK on August 1st, 2012, 12:37 pm

Has anyone else gone on a low fat diet and noticed there symptoms go down?

ag2002 - yes, sort of.....to explain .... when my symptoms subsided I was also on a low fat high soluble fiber diet and I wasn't really sure about the connection. I went on the diet on recommendation of my GP and a nutritionist because of high cholesterol (runs in my family = familial hypercholesterolemia). So now I"m thinking maybe it wasn't just that I was getting better BCFS-wise overtime, perhaps there is a direct correlation if this line of research is for real - if they continue to prove the connections they've made for instance between fatigue, low circulation, and the protozoal infection.
So when we are talking about low fat diets, what does that consist of?

I cut animal products (meat, eggs, milk) severely - lean meat only in small portions a few times a week and increased soluble fiber. I have always eaten fresh vegetables and fruit everyday but pay more attention now also to making sure the carbs I eat aren't empty - that they have natural fiber and low sugar. At first it was an effort but now it isn't. Once you start to realize that you feel better by eating certain foods and avoiding others it becomes natural. You can slide once in a while - it doesn't matter, but also you have to realize that it takes a long time to show progress - months to lower cholesterol levels - not sure how fast fat levels in the blood respond (probably less time). If you want more info on this google soluble fiber and see how you can work those items most easily into your lifestyle on a regular basis. Yeah, I could have just gone on statins but I'm adverse to using medication unless it is unavoidable. I also increased my aerobic exercise - something I had dropped off in doing with BCFS symptoms bothering me.

Also, in my case, after having symptoms for years I had to re-train myself to not tense up under stress and therefore encourage the cycle that had developed while having BCFS.

Hope this helps. :D
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby acudoc11 on August 2nd, 2012, 1:51 pm

It's interesting that you speak to issues which in Chinese medicine physiology belongs to the domain of the "Liver system". Other than from eating excess junk foods...cholesterol is MADE by the liver and when it is excessively high...one should ALSO think WHY in addition to lowering it naturally. The Liver MAKES cholesterol for many reasons and not necessarily in any order of importance: 1) cholesterol is the raw material for approximately 60 hormones in the body; 2) cholesterol is the raw material for the membranes of some thrity trillion body cells; 3) cholesterol is raw material for bile acids...and the list goes on. So while considering how best to lower it....one needs to figure out WHY the body is not converting it. Unfortunately most are ONLY concerned with lowering a number and keeping it low as opposed to resolving the root problem. Take for example...one patient I saw six months ago had a total cholesterol of 180 before going on statins. His primary complaint was losing short term memory. When I inquired as to his present level...stated it was now 120. Sure.....his body was having trouble making hormones. Besides short term memory loss he was having an early stage muscle twitching (not quite BFS...yet) AND muscle cramps. My suggestion was that he get another MD opinion and QUICKLY.
acudoc11
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ImOK on August 2nd, 2012, 8:14 pm

It seems that the liver is a very important organ in Chinese medicine regardless of the complaint. I've been to acupuncturists and also have taken the herbs, etc - it varies for me what the results were but I don't discount the value. Look at it rationally (and I think Chinese medicine is basically very pragmatic) - if everything in your system is working great you are not ill and have no symptoms so there is good reason to think something is amiss if you are cramping or twitching a lot. It could be a minor thing or not and that is what drives people here nuts - they just don't know. I decided early on that for me it was relatively minor (in that it wasn't going to kill or wholly incapacitate me) but it sure was uncomfortable and altering for quite a while.

Well, it's not just the numbers of course with high cholesterol but also the results of ultrasounds etc. My numbers were very high when I went on the diet - my GP did say that some people experience nerve disorders with statins so that is one reason we didn't want to try them right off. Nerve problems on top of BCFS - no thanks.

The pertinent question is whether or not the lowering of fats in my blood due to my diet could have helped get rid of the BCFS symptoms. The results from the research seem to indicate that lowering fats decreases the protozoan activity and could increase circulation and reduce symptoms. The research is not centered on BFS or BCFS but MS and autoimmune disorders primarily so we won't know. In the end it can't be a bad thing to lower fat intake for most of us. However, I don't know that the cholesterol levels we see in test results are parallel to blood fat levels for all of us. I wonder if, for people like me who just make too much cholesterol (or have an over-active liver in Chinese medicine) if we are more inclined to BFS and BCFS due to the harboring of these protozoan parasites. I don't think we will know as neither BFS or BCFS is a terminal disease and will never have the focus that the more threatening disorders have. Both a good thing (no terminal disease) and a bad thing if you happen to be symptomatic and want answers to your questions.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby acudoc11 on August 8th, 2012, 9:18 am

The liver is from a daily functioning standpoint...the most important organ in the body. Western medicine claims over 500 daily functions yet blood tests ONLY look at three liver enzymes and a lipid (cholesterol) panel. If those numbers are within ranges...MDs consider you A-OK.

There are apparently NO blood tests for at least 450 of liver functions. It is interesting to note that western medicine seeks to immediately LOWER (total and LDL) cholesterol if its considered high (an ever changing number) but FAILS to consider WHY it is high.

Other than food/fat reasons for high cholesterol...it IS THE LIVER which MAKES cholesterol. For WHAT? we should ask! Cholesterol is the raw material for 1) approximately 60 hormones; 2) the cellular membrane of some 30 to 60 Trillion body cells; 3) for bile acids; 4) for conversion of Vitamin D etc etc. Sooo...just pushing DOWN cholesterol (whether by drugs or even herbs) does not resolve the root problem(s). Chinese medicine.... by good old human sensory diagnostics interprets (thousands of years of observation) the unsubstantiated imbalances which western tests can not SEE. Just because they can't find it does not mean it doesn't exist.

IMO...YES...the lowering of fats in your blood due to diet did help reduce and/or get rid of your BCFS symptoms. Processing/digesting fats along with extracting protozoa/virus/fungus/yeast/mold etc ...ALL have to do with over 500 daily liver functions. Liver filters 1.5 liters of blood every hour.

In Chinese medicine there is no confusion.....twitching and/or cramping relates to a liver malfunction whether it be caused by a deficiency or stagnation of energy (qi) or blood....or whether it be an excess condition due to a pathogenic factor such as a protozoa; a fluid pathology like phlegm/dampness or even an excess emotional cause.

Western blood tests are just another piece of information that may or may not parallel to blood fat levels.........whether for one BCFS sufferer or all. By making changes in food, drink and drug intake the BFS/BCFS should reduce if those are the causative factors. For example......I was struggling with a spike in twitching/cramping and attributed it to a finding that ergomot ingredient in Earl Grey tea WILL make muscles twicth and cramp. So I eliminated it and everything reduced. Liver dysfunctions have myriad causes......according to PBs survey it appears that there are at least nine syndromes under the umbrella of BFS/BCFS. That maybe 100% correct BUT IMO it all still goes back to the Liver and its over 500 daily functions.
acudoc11
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mwagner on August 8th, 2012, 10:43 am

So, this question isn't related to my liver functioning (which probably isn't too good, since I drink alcohol on a fairly frequent basis), but do you think this could possibly be the reason why every time I'm on antibiotics, my twitching seems to reduce to almost nothing?

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby acudoc11 on August 13th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Mitra
All is a delicate balance individual by individual....depending on what contributing causes/triggers are at work. Alcohol has been known to cause liver dysfunction including twitching/tremors due to liver toxicity. Antibiotics have ALSO been known to cause muscle twitching IMO due to liver toxicity. The penicillins have the least negative or allergic reaction of all antibiotics. Depending on which antibiotic---- and for a limited period of ingestion----AND if the contributing cause is for example protozoa or bacteria etc.---- then it might reduce the twitching...for awhile.
Richard
acudoc11
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Buzzmike on August 14th, 2012, 7:44 am

1 month ago, I finished several books on low carbohydrate dieting. I have successfully used these diets in the springtime for the last 20 years to lose winter acquired weight. During the 80's and early 90's I participated in the low fat diet rage. Terrible experience. No energy and low testerone levels with wild swings in blood sugar. Anyway the newest book is called "The Art and Science of Low Carb performance." It is a ketogenic high fat, low carb, low protein diet that was initially found useful in controlling seizures in children, and has since been found helpful with other neurological diseases such as Parkinson disease. This book addresses athletic performance while in ketosis. I was curious if I could improve my endurance (I have) and perhaps reduce the intensity of BFS symptoms. 4 weeks into the diet, and I have noticed a definite improvement with the sensory symptoms, and an overall reduction in twitching (although not completely). I am reluctant to say the twitching has been significantly reduced after only 3 weeks, because after 2.5 years, I have found considerable variability in twitching intensity which in my case is almost cyclical, though not periodic. I still twitch every day with marked swings in number and frequency. As a side note, my blood profile( HDL, glucose, triglycerides, etc) always significantly improve on low carb diets. I am closing in on 4 weeks which is the full adaption phase to the bodys use of ketones as energy source. Another advantage, I am much more clear headed during the day, with less BFS associated nervousness and fatigue. Keep in mind the first week can be fairly tough as the body transitions to ketone energy vs glycogen. You will experience dizziness, foggy head etc. This can be minimized by increasing sodium and potassium intake and will quickly pass. It is a high fat, not high protein diet, and requires determination to follow, at least initially. If anyone wants to give it a try, I would enjoy hearing your results. BFS symptoms == I've had them all. I will keep you updated. To all you newcomes. Hang in there. You will be fine.
Buzzmike
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management