neurosurgeon

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

neurosurgeon

Postby wjjw on July 29th, 2012, 6:38 pm

A little light "off topic" reading, for anyone interested in neurology and psychology, but tired of thinking exclusively about twitching and anxiety :-)

http://www.aansneurosurgeon.org/210212/6/1611

http://www.frontiersin.org/Human_Neuroscience/10.3389/fnhum.2012.00209/full

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
User avatar
wjjw
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Re: neurosurgeon

Postby mwagner on July 30th, 2012, 6:33 pm

Bill,

So, this is kind of funny: I read the first paragraph of the first article, and I start worrying about bacterial meningitis caused by eColi. Health anxiety indeed!!!

I have yet to read the second, but enjoyed the first article. I'm also reading the book you suggested "Dying to be me!" which I'm really enjoying. Really puts a different perspective to things!! Thanks for the suggestion. For anyone else reading this, it is a very fascinating book that puts a very different perspective on life.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: August 27th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Re: neurosurgeon

Postby wjjw on July 31st, 2012, 5:32 am

mwagner wrote:For anyone else reading this, it is a very fascinating book that puts a very different perspective on life.

Here is an excellent video interview with Dr. Alexander, who does a great job describing his experience and it's implication on life and consciousness.

A Conversation with Eben Alexander III, M.D
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
User avatar
wjjw
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Re: neurosurgeon

Postby Ghayes420 on August 6th, 2012, 11:28 am

mwagner wrote:Bill,

So, this is kind of funny: I read the first paragraph of the first article, and I start worrying about bacterial meningitis caused by eColi. Health anxiety indeed!!!

I have yet to read the second, but enjoyed the first article. I'm also reading the book you suggested "Dying to be me!" which I'm really enjoying. Really puts a different perspective to things!! Thanks for the suggestion. For anyone else reading this, it is a very fascinating book that puts a very different perspective on life.

Mitra


Hi Mitra, Just got the book today! I could always use a different/better perspective on life. :)
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
User avatar
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 464
Joined: August 29th, 2011, 9:00 pm
Location: Nor Cal

Re: neurosurgeon

Postby wjjw on August 6th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Ghayes420 wrote:Hi Mitra, Just got the book today! I could always use a different/better perspective on life. :)

And just announced last week, some people decided to spend 5 million dollars to determine if that perspective is real:

$5 Million Grant Awarded to UC Riverside to Study Immortality

What surprised me was this statement from that article:

Anecdotal reports of glimpses of an afterlife abound, but there has been no comprehensive and rigorous, scientific study of global reports about near-death and other experiences

What!? They never heard of the NDE studies reported by Bruce Greyson at the United Nations? Or the literally thousands of carefully and methodically studied and documented reincarnation cases spanning 40 years as carried out by Ian Stevenson and the U of VA DOPS team? Or that fact that their research has been independently replicated by two separate teams of researchers since then?

This is nicely summarized by Michael Tymn, someone who is familiar with the research done do date:

Is $5-Million for Life After Death Research a Waste?

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
User avatar
wjjw
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Re: neurosurgeon

Postby mwagner on August 6th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Very cool, Greg! It's like we're having our own little BFS book club :)

I'll be interested in hearing your opinion. It's so fascinating, and I'm a total skeptic. She just seems very real to me.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: August 27th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Re: neurosurgeon

Postby wjjw on August 6th, 2012, 3:24 pm

mwagner wrote:Very cool, Greg! It's like we're having our own little BFS book club :)

Maybe not an easy read, but Irreducible Mind is on my list. Just waiting for an electronic version to be available. Here is a detailed review. Recommended reading for the psychologists on the board :wink:

http://anti-matters.org/articles/12/public/12-12-1-PB.pdf
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
User avatar
wjjw
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Re: neurosurgeon

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 8th, 2012, 11:16 am

Have any of you read 'The Source Field Investigations' by David Wilcock? It ties a lot of science to mystery (or vice versa?) and puts forth a pretty interesting model as to how the universe works. The author ties this back to some of the ancient prophecies surrounding the year 2012 and paints a rather inspiring and optimistic picture for what is really taking place and why it is important (as opposed to the usual doom and gloom you see sensationalized by the media and Hollywood). I'd definitely recommend it.
Last edited by SecretAgentMan on August 8th, 2012, 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
User avatar
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: June 30th, 2010, 3:42 pm
Location: Dayton, OH suburbs

Re: neurosurgeon

Postby mwagner on August 8th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Thanks SAM! I put it on hold at the library and should get it soon. Love these book recommendations. Such fascinating articles and books you guys are suggesting!

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: August 27th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Re: neurosurgeon

Postby wjjw on August 8th, 2012, 7:46 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:Have any of you read 'The Source Field Investigations' by David Wilcock?

I had never heard of him before I read this. What do you think about his claim with regard to Edgar Cayce? I was unable to form an opinion from his Youtube presentation of the 2012 stuff, a few photos, and an astrological chart of correspondences that I couldn't figure out.

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
User avatar
wjjw
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Re: neurosurgeon

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 9th, 2012, 10:16 am

wjjw wrote:I had never heard of him before I read this. What do you think about his claim with regard to Edgar Cayce? I was unable to form an opinion from his Youtube presentation of the 2012 stuff, a few photos, and an astrological chart of correspondences that I couldn't figure out.

Cheers,
Bill


I personally believe it is within the realm of possibilities. I certainly think his book makes a lot of sense out of things that used to make no sense, so I'm leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt. Everything is well documented and tied/referenced back to source material for anyone wanting to do their own homework and check up on the facts and figures he presents. Let me know if you decide to check it out. I'd really be curious to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by SecretAgentMan on August 9th, 2012, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
User avatar
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: June 30th, 2010, 3:42 pm
Location: Dayton, OH suburbs

Re: neurosurgeon

Postby wjjw on August 9th, 2012, 8:41 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:I personally believe it is within the realm of possibilities. I certainly think his book makes a lot of sense out of things that used to make no sense, so I'm leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt. Everything is well documented and tied referenced back to source material for anyone wanting to do their own homework and check up on the facts and figures he presents. Let me know if you decide to check it out. I'd really be curious to hear your thoughts.

I obviously believe it's possible also, but was surprised because my first impression was that he didn't seem very Cayce-like, but that's just my impression.

The discovery of friends that resembled people around Cayce was interesting, as this occurs frequently (notably in the Keene/Gordon case also). I recently came across this one, and a friend who researched the case and is an expert in this area believes it to be genuine. The life parallels shown at 8:50 in the video are remarkable:

Teekamp / Moshay Case

In any case, I'll check out his background a bit more and maybe his book.

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
User avatar
wjjw
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Re: neurosurgeon

Sponsor

Sponsor
 


Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests