Twitching thumb is driving me crazy

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitching thumb is driving me crazy

Postby fr_78 on July 30th, 2012, 2:43 am

Hello!

I've been dealing with twitching for a couple of months now. It all started in one eyelid, then quickly spread to the other and to other parts of my body.
Since it was so frequent and didn't go away, I went to my GP who sent me to the neuro. There I got a clinical, eeg and mri - all clean. She didn't see the need to do an emg so I was not really relieved and set up an appointment at another neuro.
I finally got my emg there but only one muscle (arm) was tested. He told me that there was nothing to worry about.

I was able to manage my symptoms quite well but now I've got an awkward thumb twitch which only happens after I put pressure on it. When I open up a bottle, for instance, it starts twitching (only for a few seconds, but it seems to be out of control). This is getting worse.

I googled again today and found this (warning: if you're scared of ALS don't go there):
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Fibromyalg ... ow/1541281

Ok, so a twitching thumb is indeed a sign for ALS?

I've got another appointment at the neuro but I still have to wait 3 more weeks. I don't know how I will be able to deal with this for three more weeks though.

Any thoughts?

I got all my tests in feb/march of this year. He didn't test my hand though so I'm very worried that my first actual symptoms are in my hand now.

:(
fr_78

Re: Twitching thumb is driving me crazy

Postby chrissi on July 30th, 2012, 3:57 am

Thumb twitching most likeky the most common hand twitch in BFS . For many BFS ers it is easily induceable my putting pressure on the thumb muscle, by tapping it or by making a certain movement with your thumb. If you have BFS it is normal to have thumb twitches, they are not more bothersome than Any other twitch.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby steffen on July 30th, 2012, 11:55 am

Hi,

I had a twitching middle finger of the left hand. Fasics occured after each movement. That twitch lasted three weeks then moved to another hot spot.
In general, twitches do not lead to movement. But this is different for fingers. There is no way to distinguish between benign and not-so-benign twitches by the twich alone. It depends on other findings like weakness or EMG changes. If there are no such findings then twiching most likely is benign.

Kind Regards
Steffen
steffen

Postby Tom_65 on August 8th, 2012, 6:00 pm

My thumb - actually more the part between the thumb and forefinger right at my hand, twitched non-stop for 2 days a couple months back. It was visibly twitching...I thought it would never stop! I woke up one morning and it was gone....hasn't returned since!
Out of my mind - Back in 5 minutes
Tom_65
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management