Does typing seem harder?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Does typing seem harder?

Postby Ghayes420 on July 18th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Does anybody have any trouble with typing on the keyboard since there BFS started? I remember being very good on the keyboard and being able to type fast but now it seems that I am making an error every other word. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this 'symptom' of BFS rather recently, not just long time clumsy hands.
Thanks for your input.
Greg
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero

Re: Does typing seem harder?

Postby Yuliasir on July 18th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Hi Greg, I started to have typing troubles early in BFS. I had stiff hands and pains in thumbs. But I can tell you that actually for me it appeared that overall amount of errors is rather again anxiety and tiredness related (I monitor that due to nature of my job), and the only real differnece I had got since BFS is quite notable deterioration of hadwriting skill, not typing one :( My handwriting for now is like a hen's claw one, as we say here (and again I am not sure it is purely 100% due to BFS - I think I just loose it gradually due to absolute prevalence of typing skill).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby volfan on July 19th, 2012, 12:03 am

i thought it was more my brain - like alzheimers. Seriously, I also used to zip through words and never make a mistake. Now I make them all the time and really I was thinking old age/slower brain waves. So, maybe it is just part of the big bag of tricks which is = BFS. That is really interesting.
volfan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on July 19th, 2012, 2:57 am

I used to have very very high dexterity in my hands, far more than average people, so I always was given the tiny difficile jobs at work that noone else wanted to do. I know you asked about recently but well, my BFS peak was quite a wile ago and THEN I had really realy bad troubles writing, serioulsy, a constantly hit the wrong keys, or I thought I had hit a key but had not pressed hard enough to activate it. And I definately know other members that had this problem too, also handwriting issues.My hands are still a bit of a mess as you can see when I am writing on the chat from my I Phone :oops: but I think it is getting better day by day.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby andrewbfs on July 19th, 2012, 10:37 am

I, too, have noticed decreased dexterity while typing and with handwriting. (48 yrs old) I mentioned it to my neurologist, who did not seemed concerned. (But, I think my neuro has an overstated perspective on my anxiety level -- my next follow-up will be with a different neurologist and I'm looking forward to a fresh set of eyes.)

In my case, i tend to transpose letters on the keyboard more frequently, along with hitting random wrong keys. Seems to be more of an issue with my left hand, fingers 3 thru 5, but it's an issue with all.

Interestingly, I don't have any fascics that impact those fingers -- the only fingers that twitch are left index and thumb.
andrewbfs

Postby Snoookie on July 21st, 2012, 6:19 am

Hi Greg, yes i have noticed this recently as well....very frustrating as im spending half my time going back to make corrections
Snoookie

Postby raindog on July 26th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Always been a two fingered typist and i still make plenty of mistakes hitting the wrong damm keys. :lol:
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby Jonny32 on July 29th, 2012, 7:40 am

I do also have problems with typing and handwriting.
It's my right hand, espacially ring, pinky and thumb make problems.
Simetimes they feel heavy, cannot explain it better.
And holding a pen feels odd sometimes. But for it is strange, because I
absolutely do not twich in my fingers or hands. Yet...
But the problems in typing and handwriting come and wane.
Like all the other stuff....
Jonny32

Postby johnnythejet on August 1st, 2012, 7:57 am

Typing for me has gone completely downhill. I can't make it through one sentence hardly without at least one error. When I log into my work account I screw up the password probably 30% of the time. Its as if I don't have control over my fingers anymore. Don't even get my started on typing with my smartphone. :x
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on August 1st, 2012, 7:59 am

I know you all love it when I use my I Phone on the chat :wink: so that is all I have to add to typing problems topic
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on August 1st, 2012, 8:13 am

chrissi wrote:I know you all love it when I use my I Phone on the chat :wink: so that is all I have to add to typing problems topic

Yes, you have no idea how much you made me laugh, Chrissi. Thanks for that!!
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby pdodge715 on October 31st, 2012, 2:28 pm

Thought I'd chime in for anyone concerned about this symptom... For about 3-4 weeks now, I have noticed my typing and handwriting become a bit more difficult. My fingers seem to struggle to find the right keys, which is really odd because typing used to be second-nature for me. As for the handwriting, it feels like my hand is just tired as I'm writing. I haven't really noticed that the script itself is deteriorating, but my hand feels worn-out and over-exerted as I'm writing. The same can be said for typing, actually... my wrists tend to develop some fatigue/pain after not very much typing at all. It also seems that I've developed a somewhat minor, perhaps situational tremor in my right (dominant) hand to go along with all of this. Holding a cell phone or pen, my hand will begin to shake. Thumb and pinky finger, too... Gotta love BFS. I'm only just over 4 months in, and it seems that the longer I have it, the more oddball symptoms I develop.
pdodge715

Postby Floydian on October 31st, 2012, 3:11 pm

I also have issues with typing and playing music on my keyboard. It's like I can't press a key hard enough and playing fast notes is also difficult for me.
Hope that goes better soon although, at the moment, I have an excuse for my playing :wink:

@ pdodge715
don't worry, your symptoms are very common for many people here. Many people, including me, experience odd symptoms which change each day/week/month.
The world of bfs is full of surprises.... :wink:
Floydian
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby edado69 on November 1st, 2012, 1:47 pm

Ghayes420 wrote:Does anybody have any trouble with typing on the keyboard since there BFS started? I remember being very good on the keyboard and being able to type fast but now it seems that I am making an error every other word. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this 'symptom' of BFS rather recently, not just long time clumsy hands.
Thanks for your input.
Greg

No, I did not. But I have thought about countelss number of times for your very same reason...
Fasciculating from the 25/03/2007 (as accurately as I can recall!...)
edado69
Saint
Saint

Postby eric77 on September 17th, 2014, 9:09 am

I did notice this too. Ever since BFS started I have noticed that my typing seems a little slower and not as precise as it was before. It's not really bad but I can feel a difference. I have had BFS for about 5 months now but I think I noticed this change early on. Both my wrists feel a little tight sometimes not sure if it is a carpal tunnel feel or not (just another feeling to freak me out). I don't ever remember having that feeling in my wrists prior to BFS. Some days they feel fine and others they feel a little strained. Been this way for a couple of months I guess. Anyone else Have this? I sit at a computer all day but perhaps this may be due to all the extra typing I started in addition to my daily work trying to find answers for my BFS symptoms.
eric77

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS