applied kinesiology - testing for psychological reversal

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

applied kinesiology - testing for psychological reversal

Postby mwagner on July 12th, 2012, 12:50 pm

A quick disclaimer here: this is all going to sound a little nutty.

So, I saw my chiropractor yesterday (who is world-renowned in the field of Applied Kinesiology), and he did a test on me that most of you are going to think is very weird. However, it was very fascinating to me, and I thought it might interest you all as well. AND, there is a way to self-test this, so I'm hoping I'll get some feedback from you to see if it works for you.

He asked me say several phases, like "I want to be healthy", and "I want to be happy" and "I want my muscles to be free of twitching". When I said "I want my muscles to be free of twitching" (which I then rephrased as "I want healthy and calm muscles" because of my beliefs in affirmation) - he found a result where the muscle he was testing me with (applied kinesiology stuff - he can tell whether my muscles are turned on or off, based on the way he holds my feet and the way they align) turned off. He said I have a psychological reversal, which means where I think I want my twitching to stop, somehow my subconscious doesn't.

I know this sounds very, very strange, but this guy has done some amazing work with me.

Anyway, I was reading his book ("Your Inner Pharmacy") and in it, he says you can self-test by doing a forward bend test. Basically, to get a baseline you bend over (I tried this standing, but you can do it sitting) as far as you can - with your knees locked - and note where your hands fall onto your shins (or if you're very flexible, maybe they go further to your toes).

Then, you say a phrase like "I want to be healthy" or "I want to be happy". Most people will bend to that spot, or even further because they are congruent with that statement. Then, you can test it by saying "I want to be sick" or "I want to be miserable" and your hands won't reach as far and will fall short of the original spot. If that's the case with you (it was for me) then you can test it by saying "I want muscles free of twitching", to see if you have a psychological reversal or not. I definitely do, as in my hands don't reach as far as they do when I say "I want to be happy" for instance.

To remedy this, you're supposed to tap the top part of the outside of your hands together, for 30 seconds, 3 times a day saying "I want to have healthy and calm muscles". It sounds like total hocus pocus, I realize.

I'll let you know if this works! I think most of us would stand on our heads and drink cow urine if it were to make our twitching go away. So, I'll keep y'all updated.

(I hope you all don't think I'm too crazy after this post).

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Re: applied kinesiology - testing for psychological reversal

Postby Wells05 on July 12th, 2012, 12:54 pm

I want your dr's number! HA! I think this sounds cool, I have heard of this type of thing. I will have to call you mitra and talk about this :) Ash
Wells05
Hero
Hero

Postby mwagner on July 12th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Just in case someone wants to read this straight from the horse's mouth (is that expression right?):

http://www.yourinnerpharmacy.com/catego ... nesiology/

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 12th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Applied kinesiology was an eye opener for me and is the technique my holistic doctors used to get to the bottom of what was causing my BFS. There are many ways that you can read your own biological feedback such as the bend test or others use muscle response testing but requires a lot of patience in learning to use them. Different people find it easier to use different techniques so there is no 'one best way'. It just depends on the person and their preferences. I personally found it easier to dowse with a pendulum. You can google it to find out how to learn. Basically it relies on the same principles as the muscle response testing. When you ask a question or make a statement, your subconscious will respond in the negative or positive through subtle changes in your body's behavior. This by the way is also how lie detectors or polygraph tests work. If you lie your subconscious changes your heart rate, pupil dilation, skin micro-tension, etc. When you dowse you hold a pendulum on a chain over your open palm and depending on the response your muscles will change subtly through micro-tension and the pendulum will swing in a different direction. Yes for me bobs back and forth and No it bobs side to side. Again this takes practice and patience, but your accuracy will improve as you use it more and more. I was able to diagnose an allergy to an additive in my daughter's yogurt by simply going through a process of elimination with the pendulum. It is truly amazing stuff.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on July 14th, 2012, 1:58 am

HI Mitra,
at least what I found in my speaking therapy, was an amusing fact that being sick is a thing of certain value for me... So probably it is a kind of reversal thing you mention. My therapist call this ''secondary value'' and for some of us it might be significant...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on July 14th, 2012, 10:28 am

Yuliasir-

My doctor talks a lot about that, that somehow for whatever reason, your subconscious is holding onto believes and it changes the circuitry in your body. I know it sounds strange. The forward bend test I did really surprised me. I didn't expect it to work. I also found that when I said "I want to sleep deeply", my body was "short". Maybe as anxious as I am, I'm afraid of what would happen if I weren't so anxious (like my level of "alertness" would go down).

Did you have a chance to try the forward bend test? It was clear cut for me. I made my husband do it, and it didn't seem to work, but he really didn't want to try to begin with.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on July 14th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Not yet... but I am nor sure it will work for me for two reasons - hypermobility, for which I still can bend pretty low, and the fact I know the "secret" and it might affect the result. Anyway I agree that the body alters the mind (and vice versa) too and reflects many of out inconsicious or othervise hidden thouts...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on July 14th, 2012, 1:51 pm

I honestly read it, and thought "this will NOT work for me", because I have been a skeptic all along. But, then lo and behold it totally worked. Even if you're hypermobile, you'll notice so much more of a strain when it's a statement that isn't true. It's uncanny. I have tried it several times the past few days and it's the same every time.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on July 15th, 2012, 12:11 am

I did the test, Mitra, and it looks like my body for now definitely wants to be free of perceived weakness (which is my main pain in *ss for now) - I managed to bend even more than when I said "I want be happy"! I think it is because I slowly mowe towards getting more value from being healthy than from being sick.
Thanks for the test!
Regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on July 15th, 2012, 10:07 am

That's great! I don't really understand why mine tests the opposite. I have some theories, but what I want more than just about anything (other than the basics, like the healthy and happiness of my whole family) is to stop twitching and put this all behind me. It's so strange.

Did you do the baseline test, like saying "I want to be unhappy" to see where the bend test takes you? Did you come up shorter?

I also tested with all my sensitive foods and it works for that as well. This whole thing is very odd to me, but it seems to work. I showed my husband, how I constantly come up short when I say "wheat" and bend over. He didn't believe me at first, but it's so consistent, he definitely sees it now, and knows that I'm not making it up. I actually feel more resistance and it's harder to reach my toes.

Thanks for doing the test!! I'm just wondering if it works for other people. My husband wasn't very willing to try it :(

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 16th, 2012, 10:09 am

Your husband's response isn't uncommon. This falls outside of conventional wisdom and therefore outside the structure of most people's belief systems. When something falls outside of someone's belief stucture there is a tendency of the mind to want to reject it without considering it. Our belief structure gives us a feeling of security, like a warm blanket. To step outside and go exploring takes us out of our comfort zones, so why would we even want to humor or entertain such notions? I know I wouldn't have left my comfort zone if the drive I had to get better didn't outweigh my need to feel secure in my beliefs.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby mwagner on July 16th, 2012, 12:07 pm

I also wanted to point out that most people won't have a psychological reversal. In fact, Yuliasir's response is the one that should be expected. So, I was very confused, and still am, why mine shows the way it does. It's a little disturbing to me.

I honestly don't think my husband tried to do the baseline test. He just rolled his eyes when he did it, so he wasn't being very honest with his thoughts while trying it. I can imagine that would skew the results - and as Secret Agent Man just pointed out, it is way out of his comfort zone. And, like you S.A.M. - this was way out of my comfort zone initially, and also like you, my drive to get better has forced me into looking at this from all sorts of angles. I think everyone has to figure out what might work for them.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on July 16th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I think you should not feel confusing because of that reversal, Mitra, because sometimes physical problems really give us 'legitimate' (and, unfortunately, sometimes even the only legitimate) way to discard daily burdens and claim for extra rest (which in fact is not extra but the only really necessary amount of rest we neglect daily), or it might be a chance to improve ourself. I do not wonder reading messages in which our fellows admit that BFS changed their life to better in fact - by giving them more attention to themselves, changing the whole life perception etc.

So your body might still ask for rest or it want ot use positive resources available from conditions like BFS. Anyway consciousely you want to be healthy and well, and I do not think your body would resist too much :) heer you are cowokers, maybe just a way of that need refining etc.

I did the baseline test and I definitely bend a bit further when saying 'I want to be free of perceived weakness' compared to "I want to be unhappy" and "I want to be happy"
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)