Involuntary movements

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Involuntary movements

Postby Issi on June 19th, 2012, 3:31 am

Being almost 6 months in, I am sometimes experiencing involuntary movements of limbs and even head during the day. It seems my body is in “alarm mode” meaning when I am touched unexpectedly, my limbs sometimes move in a jerky manner. My right leg trembles after exercise and sometimes at rest. When holding something upright with my left hand I feel a high-frequency tremor. I also used to know the ratcheting feeling when bending down. Still feel soreness in neck, shoulders and front of throat. Jaw and tongue muscles seem to be tensed which makes speaking harder (guess this might be TMJ) Can anybody relate?

Ines
Issi

Re: Involuntary movements

Postby chrissi on June 19th, 2012, 3:51 am

Lol, me of course, but you aleady knew I guess. All if our symptoms sound very familiar to me. Sorry for that, because I know it totally sucks.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Lasszucken on June 19th, 2012, 6:06 am

My legs sometims do small movements when I sit, like i've been scared, but its only a few centimetres.
Never thought about it nor do I know if i had this before, it happens a few times a day.
Its like this myoclonic jerks when falling asleep.
Twitching since about 1st of march 2012..
Lasszucken

Postby KatieMG on June 19th, 2012, 7:00 am

Yep! Have all of that! My legs and neck will jerk at random times. I also am clenching my jaw a lot so I feel like I can't open my mouth very wide, my neck muscles are tense, etc.
KatieMG

Postby andrewbfs on June 19th, 2012, 8:26 am

Add me to the list for this one. Primarily when lying down or sitting with muscles relaxed. Especially in bed. It's not the classic "sleep jerk" because it happens even when I'm wide awake, but it's a similar sensation. Mostly happens in my thighs, shoulders and neck. But also sometimes wrists, ankles, fingers.

Also I experience the ratcheting when bending down, walking down stairs, putting on pants, etc. Sometimes in my neck, too.

Ironically, these have started up during a time where my fasiculations have diminished. "It's always something," I guess....
andrewbfs

Postby johnnythejet on June 19th, 2012, 8:31 am

Yes, I can relate to nearly all those symptoms. :)
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Jujulia on June 19th, 2012, 9:45 am

Hi Issi,

What a coincidence, I was thinking about you lately because of our weird symptoms in common, so I'm glad you posted today! First of all, YES, sometimes I do experience involuntary movements like the ones you describe, especially in my face, which is obviously quite annoying (to say the least). Sometimes it happens when I'm scared or in weird situations... my mouth will move in a weird way suddenly, I don't know how to explain it... This stuff has happened to me since the beginning of all this (bfs onset).. I just hope it doesn't fall into the category of ''abnormal reflex'' or something like that.

As for the neck/tongue tension, I'm still having this problem too (actually, since last time we've talked about it, I have had no break). Some days, the whole shoulder/neck/chest area will be tense or sore, but the tongue and the throat are the worst. You're going to think I'm crazy, but sometimes it's so unbearable that I add cayenne on purpose to my drinks/food to create a ''diversion'' so I momentarily don't feel this really uncomfortable feeling. It's probably the worst symptom I have ever had these last two years... I just want it to stop.

J.
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby plainslady on June 19th, 2012, 11:49 am

Me, me, me!!! I get these things. The times I notice the jumpiness/whole body part jerking is when I'm driving, writing, or doing other things that require concentration. Any little startle during these times will result in the sudden appearance of my hidden ninja skills. Sometimes when I am worked up just a touch to my knees with my OWN hand will cause my leg to kick up. It takes very little to set my reflexes into hyper mode.

I also have the neck, jaw and throat issues. Mine is related to TMJ which is just a fancy way to say I take all my daily stress and anxiety out on my teeth and jaw at night. I am a terrible grinder/clincher and pay for it with chronic stiffness and soreness from my neck up. Usually it is the reason I get headaches as well, very rarely do I get a headache that isn't tension related.

As for the shakiness, I experience that as well. When I first started doing my Pilates workout I would shake and ratchet like crazy, but as my strength has grown I notice it less and less, until I overdo it of course.

Frances
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one”
plainslady
Hero
Hero

Postby francky on March 2nd, 2013, 7:51 am

good morning;
excuse me for my bad English I am a french man
I would like to know how do you describe your involuntary movementsl?
I have this since a few days,it happens a few times a day.
for me it's an only movement like a small reflex!
when it arrives , limb moves of few centimetres!

did you know that?

thanks
francky

Postby chrissi on March 2nd, 2013, 8:17 am

Yes francky that is exactly it, a little jerking limb movement
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby francky on March 2nd, 2013, 10:15 am

chrissi wrote:Yes francky that is exactly it, a little jerking limb movement

thank you chrissi! i read a lot of your post ! and i find your very good with newbies like me who are afraid of all these symptoms
francky

Postby chrissi on March 3rd, 2013, 3:13 am

You are welcome francky. Those involuntary movements are part of BFS, not of ALS or MS or whatever, so maybe you can make a fear shortcut and have the instant-insight that...you are totally OK, your body is a bit messed up right now, that it will not kill you, that there are some other symptoms that might come in future times but still will not mean anything bad :) This could save you a lot of time because spring and summer is coming and it is always a pity to waste a great summer with unnecessary fear.
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby francky on March 3rd, 2013, 4:08 am

thank you very much chrissi! i hate these movements, this symptom is the one who scared me a lot! what you say help me so much' ! Thanks!!!!!
francky

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management