Does anxiety meds help or hinder?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Does anxiety meds help or hinder?

Postby lilyjames on June 6th, 2012, 5:15 pm

Can anyone give me advice regarding taking anxiety meds. I was thinking of askig my doctor for some sort of medication to help lower my anxiety, but am i correct in thinking that sometimes they make BFS symptoms worse.

can anyone advise on this please, also what drugs work for you to help relieve symptom? and anxiety :(
lilyjames

Re: Does anxiety meds help or hinder?

Postby Shanny63 on June 6th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Hi lily, I take a small dose of Valium 5mg occasionally it doesn't make the twitches any worse in my case and it does stop me obsessing about them just for a little while...lol...but I find the best thing to keep your mind of bfs is to keep busy...an idle mind runs wild if it's not kept busy...best wishes shannon
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby Shanny63 on June 6th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Hi lily, I take a small dose of Valium 5mg occasionally it doesn't make the twitches any worse in my case and it does stop me obsessing about them just for a little while...lol...but I find the best thing to keep your mind of bfs is to keep busy...an idle mind runs wild if it's not kept busy...best wishes shannon
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby KatieMG on June 6th, 2012, 6:25 pm

I just started Lexapro which is an SSRI. It has not made my symptoms worse and my anxiety is WAY down. It is a long term med you have to take daily but its not addictive like xanax or anything. You just have to taper off of it when you are done. It has made a huge difference for me and I just started.
KatieMG

Postby Yuliasir on June 6th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Hi Lily,
it is VERY individual. And despite I had increased twitches on Rexetine, I still believe it was generally helpful becuase my anxiety was controlled and I can sleep and in a 6 weeks after the course had ended my twiches decreased gradually and significantly. Anyway whatever medication you would take, in your first two-three weeks you have to stay in touch with your doctor regarding dose adjustments and possible side effects. if you found that side effects are significant or hardly bearable or bother you too much, there is always a way to change medication in our times.

have a good luck,
regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on June 7th, 2012, 1:19 am

I always credit Lexapro for getting me through the really bad stage of BFS at the beginning. I haven't been on it for about three years but I would recommend it to anyone. It really makes you not so obsessive for a while (which deep down is what I think all BFS people need the most).
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on June 7th, 2012, 3:56 am

I have been on Zoloft for about 2 months in the early days of it. Although I had the feeling that it actually increased some of my sx for the first 3 weeks, I think it has helped me to get better regarding my anxiety. After that time I had reached month 5 of it and my anxiety was gone, I got off the zoloft without problems and never had an anxiety attack since then. I am not even sure if it was the Zoloft or not, but as SSRIs are not making addictive you might give it a try BUT my later doc said that in fibro-related conditions, those meds often show worse and more side effects than in average people. He usually prefers amitryptilline for patients "like us".
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Seepi27 on June 7th, 2012, 9:03 am

lilyjames wrote:Can anyone give me advice regarding taking anxiety meds. I was thinking of askig my doctor for some sort of medication to help lower my anxiety, but am i correct in thinking that sometimes they make BFS symptoms worse.

can anyone advise on this please, also what drugs work for you to help relieve symptom? and anxiety :(

Hi Lily,
As someone else has pointed out, every individual case is different, and what works, either in the short term or the long term, for someone may not work for others. Personally I would not touch anxiety meds with the proverbial barge pole: I'm currently tapering off Diazepam after being on it for six years, and it's a hell on earth that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. However, for short term use and the alleviation of severe anxiety, it may work for you. If you do go down that route, however, you should be sure not to take them for more than a week or two. If you take them for longer, the danger of habituation increases, and with it its own problems.
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on June 7th, 2012, 1:10 pm

There's a big difference between Diazepam and SSRIs though. Diazepam is thought to be a short term med creating dependency. SSRIs are for long term use not creating dependency. They need to be taken for several weeks with a slow increase of dosage and then usually people take them for months to years, some almost lifelong without the need to increase the dosage.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby KatieMG on June 7th, 2012, 1:19 pm

chrissi wrote:There's a big difference between Diazepam and SSRIs though. Diazepam is thought to be a short term med creating dependency. SSRIs are for long term use not creating dependency. They need to be taken for several weeks with a slow increase of dosage and then usually people take them for months to years, some almost lifelong without the need to increase the dosage.

Yes they are completely different. My neuro is actually in favor of SSRIs because they are not dependent drugs and just work in calming your anxiety and keeping you level headed, not as obsessive, etc. They have to be taken long term to work.
KatieMG

Postby lilyjames on June 7th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Thank you all for your replies

it sounds like you have got relief from taking anxiety meds, after the first few weeks, which is excellent

Chrissie mentioned amitriptillan, that is the med that my doctor said she would probably perscribe for me, does anyone know what the difference is with this and SSRI meds, and why might this be better that some SSRI's?

x
lilyjames

Postby johnnythejet on June 7th, 2012, 4:34 pm

From feedback I recall, anxiety meds have saved the day for many people in the beginning. At the very least, I don't think you can expect worsening of your symptoms due to these meds.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on June 7th, 2012, 11:03 pm

Hi lilyjames,
amytryptilin belongs to so called tricyclic antidepressants, and the difference between those meds and SSRI is that it is non-selective, i.e., it keep higher concentration of all monoamine-based neuromediators you lack due to depressive or anxious condition - dopamine, serotonine etc., while SSRI are more finely tuned, so to say, as they keep you high only on serotonine :)

I never had tried tryciclics yet but I know they are considered exccelent for obsessive conditions, anxiety disorders etc. However side effects are possible because they act a little bit like alcaloids (increase sencitivity of certain type of receptors) so you might experience dry mouth, blurred vision, tremors and some intestinal problems. However, those symptomes are rather available at higher doses, while for anxiety treatment ususally the lowest possible therapeutic dose is enough. What is especially good with tricyclic is that they are considered "enegrising sedatives" so you should not feel zombie-like, like it happens on antiseizure drugs or on some benzos.
Anyway, if you would not feel good, you always may ask for changes.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on June 7th, 2012, 11:40 pm

to Seepi27:
Oh my, it is so sad to hear that you were for 6 years on probably one of the oldest member of benzo family... You are right saying it should be NEVER used over few weeks in a row, and generally, if choosing benzos, there is a plenty of other lighter versions now which are doing the same good anxiety release and good sleep job but have no such drastic dependance effect like Diazepam... I wonder if that 'treatment shceme' resulted in more damage than benefits...

However benzos of course should be the least welcome medication in our case, because all of them are more or less addiction drugs and therefore are very short term solution.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby ag2002 on June 8th, 2012, 8:56 am

I have tried tricyclic antidepressants (amitriptyline) and SNRI (cymbalta, effexor xr). I have never tried SSRI. The difference between SSRI and SNRI is that SSRIs only work on serotonin where as SNRIs work on serotonin and norepinephrine. I personally had horrible side effects from amitipryline, my heart rate went up to 140 bpm resting and I felt like a zombie. It also gave me cramps and fasiculations. I didn't have them before taking amitipryline. I was only taking 50 mg, and I was taking it for nerve pain not anxiety or depression. I only took it for 2 weeks and had to get off. Cymbalta did nothing for me. Effexor XR actually worked on my nerve pain and depression. However, I did begin to have heart palpitations on effexor. They lasted a couple weeks and then went away. I still have mild fasiculations in my calves that I attribute to the effexor. Other than that I don't have any side effects from the effexor. You are probably going to have to experiment with different antidepressants before you find the correct one. The experimental process will not be fun. If at all possible I would recommend reducing your anxiety without meds. Try increasing exercise, changing diet, and praying. The main reason that I got on the antidepressants was for nerve pain. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7. I will be praying that you find the right solution to your anxiety. God bless.
ag2002

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management