Twitching, Herniated Discs, Divorce, Stress...Argh!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitching, Herniated Discs, Divorce, Stress...Argh!

Postby Twitching Pickle on August 27th, 2009, 1:17 pm

Hi, I'm new here and have had muscle twitching since May 15, 2009, when I came home from a long day on the lake. I got muscle cramps that night in my legs and feet and since then have had twitching, which varies in severity but never goes away completely. The twitching is mostly in my calves but has also been in my thighs, arms, hands and stomach. I also have three herniated discs, which on April 15, 2009 (one month prior) I received a shot in my back for the pain. I don't know if this has any direct correlation or not. Also, I am going through a messy divorce, which started around this same time. My doctor ran blood work and performed strength tests and said she thought it was due to stress but I'm not entirely sure and I'm scared out of my wits. I have an appointment with a neurologist but not until September 22nd, almost a month away. My Doc says anxiety can make my symptoms worse and it’s just a vicious cycle. I lay awake at night while my legs go crazy and then wake up feeling drained like I just ran a marathon! I know this makes me have "perceived weakness" but leaves me thinking "when am I going to trip or drop my coffee cup". I hate this waiting game I'm in right now. Any advice would be helpful. I so appreciate it. Thanks - Weak in Washington.
Twitching Pickle

Re: Twitching, Herniated Discs, Divorce, Stress...Argh!

Postby jro on August 27th, 2009, 6:52 pm

I developed bodywide (head to toe) twitching in late June of 08. I just learned today from a lumbar spine MRI that I have a herniated disk. The ortho said it would not explain twitching in my arms or face just legs so it was obviously not relevant. He wants to do a cervical spinal MRI just for completeness sake but said even if it showed something it would be highly unusual for it to explain symptoms in my face but nothing is impossible. If your twitching is just your limbs and your herniated disks are throughout the spine, then this may explain your twitching. If so, you will be envied for at least having an answer for your symptoms. If your disks are not thought to explain your symptoms, then just read the many posts on this board and you will find you are not alone in having this condition with the presentation you describe. There are ways to control the symptoms if they become disruptive to your life. The anxiety about them will be best helped by reading others' experiences so you do not feel so alone and strange and you will know that these symptoms can exist but never turn into anything bad. Time without progressive weakness is also very reassuring.

I'm glad you found us. Please post whenever you think it will help.

jro
jro
Saint
Saint

Postby Richard on August 27th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Twitching Pickle wrote:Hi, I'm new here and have had muscle twitching since May 15, 2009, when I came home from a long day on the lake. I got muscle cramps that night in my legs and feet and since then have had twitching, which varies in severity but never goes away completely. The twitching is mostly in my calves but has also been in my thighs, arms, hands and stomach. I also have three herniated discs, which on April 15, 2009 (one month prior) I received a shot in my back for the pain. I don't know if this has any direct correlation or not. Also, I am going through a messy divorce, which started around this same time. My doctor ran blood work and performed strength tests and said she thought it was due to stress but I'm not entirely sure and I'm scared out of my wits. I have an appointment with a neurologist but not until September 22nd, almost a month away. My Doc says anxiety can make my symptoms worse and it’s just a vicious cycle. I lay awake at night while my legs go crazy and then wake up feeling drained like I just ran a marathon! I know this makes me have "perceived weakness" but leaves me thinking "when am I going to trip or drop my coffee cup". I hate this waiting game I'm in right now. Any advice would be helpful. I so appreciate it. Thanks - Weak in Washington.

Hi,

I also had a herniated disk at L5-S1. Which I had operated on. About 2 years late I noticed I was twitching. I have been to some doctors who say it is related but the majority do not.

I personally think it is part of the body saying 'it is time to slow down. You have to much bad stuff going on and I am getting your attention'.

Now I can only image how difficult the divorce must be. But my experience is being upset will make this worse.

As far as sleeping, try this:

1. Body length pillow between the legs.
2. On your back, have the ankles on your foot hang over the side of the bed

You might try tegretol, that seemed to help me. But there have not been enough people on this board who have said it worked for them for me to say it is a definite solution.

The good news is you probably will get somewhat better 'in time'. But 'in time' might be months to years.

Also prayer has helped me a lot. I decided God can take some of this and I can let it go. That is Biblical: My yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:30, NIV

Sorry you are going through this.

Hope I have helped.
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby Twitching Pickle on August 27th, 2009, 9:03 pm

I graciously appreciate your responses. I received a call from the Doc today saying the neurologist had a cancellation and I can be see Monday afternoon. As I sit here writing this, my calves are twitching continuously. I will post more Monday evening. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Twitching Pickle

Postby dtog on October 26th, 2009, 8:16 am

I'm new to the site but wanted to post because I'm curious about the possible connection of herniated discs and BFS.
I also had a herniated disk about 2 years ago which took over 9 months to heal (for the severe pain to go away) but I didn't have to have surgery.
Then, a few months after the herniated disc pain started to subside, I developed BFS. I had severe calf twitching and calf/muscle spasms, especially at nite. This of course cause insomnia which only made everything worse.

There seems to be a lot of people with a very similar story. I wonder if there's a connection that they haven't found yet...

Anyways good luck.

BTW, I did find a decent measure of symptom control with Medical Hypnosis (basically meditation but directed toward the physical symptoms) but it took over two months of using it everyday to see improvement.
Still it was worth it. My calves still twitch, but not nearly as much and the muscle spams have pretty much been eliminated.
dtog
Interested
Interested

Postby andih on February 6th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Hi all!

The correlation between twitches and herniated discs makes me wonder... I have one too, just confirmed by MRI, at S1/L5, pushing on my nerve root, another bulge and tear at L3/L4. Could this somehow be related to twitching.... makes one wonder!!!

Andrea
andih
Interested
Interested

Postby aussie sufferer on February 7th, 2010, 2:37 am

I have had ( and still do have) back issues for many years in these areas,as well as else where. Have had surgery to try and deal with some of it (L4-5 disc fusion). Had back problems years before the onset of BFS. I Dont believe there is any relationship what so ever. I think the conection is lots and lots of people have back issues, lots of people have BFS, but believe connection is irrelevant and co-incidental.
cheers
Rodger
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Postby 6t5frlane on June 6th, 2012, 6:18 am

I had an EMG done at a major New York Hopital last week in the Neuro section. One of the technicians there asked me if I had any back issues and did mention L5 area as being a possible cause. Goinf for an MRI soon to see whats up. Anybody else hate MRI's like I do
6t5frlane
Hero
Hero

Postby ShawnW on March 14th, 2014, 8:59 am

6t5frlane wrote:I had an EMG done at a major New York Hopital last week in the Neuro section. One of the technicians there asked me if I had any back issues and did mention L5 area as being a possible cause. Goinf for an MRI soon to see whats up. Anybody else hate MRI's like I do

I needed one on my neck, but after they strapped my head into that machine I freaked as I'm very claustrophobic. Being in recovery from alcoholism, I couldn't take meds to help me through it so it just didn't get done. I think I would have less problems with a back MRI if it were open.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dolphin8808 on December 2nd, 2014, 9:34 am

My twitching all began after I had a large herniation in my L5-S1. Day 2 after injury I had severe spasms in effected leg's calf. Within 1 week, subsided to twitching in both legs and has been there ever since. Going on 3 months now. Go for EMG tomorrow. Nervous to say the least! I do have some muscle weakening due to the compressed nerve and leg weakness. Working on building it back up, it will get there I hope. Praying for good results tomorrow, I am a nervous wreck!
dolphin8808

Postby Twitching Pickle on September 9th, 2016, 3:12 pm

Well, it is 2016 and my symptoms are the same and test after test have confirmed BFS. I have accepted that this may never go away and it is what it is. To all you folks out there who may stumble upon posts such as mine, take a deep breath because everything will be okay and BFS is much more common than I ever thought. And, if you're like me, you are thinking the worst but try to stop yourself before anxiety takes hold and realize it probably is just BFS. I know, I know, easier said than done.
Twitching Pickle

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS