11 types of cancer can benefit from new aspirin

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

11 types of cancer can benefit from new aspirin

Postby chicagobfs on June 4th, 2012, 12:18 am

Maybe you already read/heard that maybe not, but I found this very interesting and optimistic.

http://health.india.com/news/11-types-o ... -compound/
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Re: 11 types of cancer can benefit from new aspirin

Postby chrissi on June 4th, 2012, 10:13 am

That is pretty cool news:) Due to a coagulation disorder I will be stuck to aspirin most likely above the age of 40 or so, and I always worried a bit about the side effects, especially my stomach. But I guess within 8 years that new stuff will be available *happy*
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on June 4th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Too bad I'm allergic to NSAIDS
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Lasszucken on June 14th, 2012, 8:34 am

johnnythejet wrote:Too bad I'm allergic to NSAIDS

*beep*, I'm too..
Twitching since about 1st of march 2012..
Lasszucken

Postby mwagner on June 14th, 2012, 11:10 am

This is so awesome. How do I get my hands on this new aspirin?! I don't take aspirin at all, but take ibuprofen once in a while for headaches. Wonder if it has a similar effect since it's also a NSAID.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on June 15th, 2012, 12:07 pm

It isn't clear that these new NO-NSAIDS will cause the same response so perhaps you won't be allergic to them johnnythejet. Of course I looked up the paper this article was based on (not having anyone to eat lunch with LOL) and it is here http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 8908570025
if you can access it. The big idea in the paper - much of it I didn't read as it is mostly biomedical nomenclature argh so I read mostly intro and summary info - is the strong link between inflammation and cancer. Since NSAIDS have their problems then the development of the NO-NSAIDS holds hope not only for cancer prevention but also for other sufferers of diseases that are due to inflammation so it is good news....thanks for posting chicagobfs :D !
chrissi in the meantime until they start marketing the NO-NSAIDS there is a whole section in the article (towards the end) that describes natural inflammation reducers - all supported by research - that you can eat and cut inflammation. Just in case you can't pull it up (or don't have access through a library like I do) I'll paste in part of it here (the paper has further descriptions of each compound).

A. Classification of Natural Bioactive Compounds
Many natural bioactive compounds interfere with the initiation, promotion, and progression of cancer by affecting intracellular signaling cascades involved in the inflammatory process (Pan & Ho, 2008). These compounds can be categorized into several classes (for each class the active ingredient and an example of a dietary source is given in parenthesis) including flavonoids, classified into seven groups, flavones (apigenin, parsley, celery), flavonols (quercetin, onion, broccoli), flavanones (naringenin, orange peel), flavanonols (silybin, milk thistle), flavanols (epicatechin (EC) and epigallocatechin-3-gallate, (EGCG), tea), isoflavones (genistein, soybean), and anthocyanidins (cyanidin, cherry and strawberry); isothiocyanates (sulforaphane, broccoli); terpenoids (all-trans-retinoic acid, grapes); polyphenolic compounds (resveratrol, grape, red wine; curcumin; tumeric; [6]-gingerol, ginger; carnosol, rosemary); carotenoids (lycopene, tomatoes, watermelon; ?-carotene, carrots, leafy green vegetables); and omega-3-fatty acids (Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), fish oils). Selected examples of these agents affecting different types of cancer and their molecular targets are given in Table IV, a small number of which are discussed below. For more information of this general area, the following reviews are recommended [Buhr and Bales, 2009], [Calviello et al., 2007], [Half and Arber, 2009], [Pan et al., 2009] and [Reichrath, 2007]; Yang, Wang, Lu, & Picinich, 2009).
TABLE IV. Some Natural Anti-Inflammatory Compounds
Compound Source Cancer type Molecular target
Curcumin Tumeric Colon, pancreas breast COX, ROS, IL-8, MCP-1, TNF-?, angiogenesis
Resveratrol Red grapes/wine, white hellebore Skin, colon COX, ROS
?-carotene Yellow/orange fruits vegetables (Inflammation) ROS
Quercetin Cranberries and onions Colon, lung, breast, skin ROS, Ah-receptor
Ginseng Panax plant root Colon TNF-?, NF-?B, angiogenesis
Vitamin D Dairy, fish, various plants Prostate, colon, breast Cell cycle, Akt, ERK
Calcium Dairy, nuts, Soy, seaweed Prostate, colon, breast Apoptosis
Omega-3 PUFAs Fish, grains Colon Cell cycle, apoptosis, PPAR-?

Ugh, well, of course the table didn't come out but at least you can see what vegies, fruits, and spices are involved. My lunch isn't long enough to fix it so it's back in table form.

As usual the truth to anything lies in the corridors and crevasses - as the author points out it will be a combination of techniques, interconnections, and small revelations that will defeat cancer. Good general health of the individual is always important and that is one way we can all help ourselves as he points out several times.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on June 15th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Thanx for that. The aspirin in my case is for blood dilution because my blood clots easily and this increases the risk for a stroke or heart attack
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)