Muscle Soreness/Stiffness?

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Muscle Soreness/Stiffness?

Postby Mercfh on May 14th, 2012, 9:36 am

Just making sure im not the only one here? But my legs feel sooo sore all the time as well as my arms. There isn't any weakness.....just tired/fatigueness feeling in the muscles. And they'll just feel 'achy'.
Am I the only one (hopefully not) that experiences this? it's especially bad in my legs and have been this way for quite awhile (9 months at Least).

Is this related to BFS?
Mercfh

Re: Muscle Soreness/Stiffness?

Postby MarioMangler on May 14th, 2012, 11:13 am

That -is- BFS. You might as well ask if benign muscle twitches are related to BFS.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on May 14th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Yep, BFS. One of the most common symptoms we get to deal with. Lucky us.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Mercfh on May 15th, 2012, 7:27 am

MarioMangler wrote:That -is- BFS. You might as well ask if benign muscle twitches are related to BFS.

Well are they? XD

lol anyways I figured as much. Any idea what causes them? Any remedies? My legs have been like this for the past 9 months, no weakness.....but man some days they feel SOOO sore. Doesn't stop me from moving around but gawd it's annoying. It almost feels WORSE when im not moving them strangely.
I get twitches/spasms in my legs, but I wonder if thats the root cause of the soreness (since it's not like I get the twitches ALL the time).
Mercfh

Postby jorge on May 15th, 2012, 10:38 am

Lately, I few that my leg and arm muscles are getting sore after little muscular effort. So, I decided to do a search on the BFS-forum about this and coincidentally found the same question posted only one day ago :) .
Today, after repeatedly squat to pick things up off the floor, my legs were very sore and tired. When I slightly bend the knees forward, the legs tremble a lot. I was afraid that it was some sort of weakness, but I think that it is not. Scary anyway.
jorge

Postby johnnythejet on May 15th, 2012, 11:31 am

jorge wrote:Lately, I few that my leg and arm muscles are getting sore after little muscular effort. So, I decided to do a search on the BFS-forum about this and coincidentally found the same question posted only one day ago :) .
Today, after repeatedly squat to pick things up off the floor, my legs were very sore and tired. When I slightly bend the knees forward, the legs tremble a lot. I was afraid that it was some sort of weakness, but I think that it is not. Scary anyway.

Yes, these symptoms can be scary if you don't understand what clinical weakness is, but I assure you there is nothing to worry about. The stuff you describe is NOT the weakness you fear and has been experienced by myself and many others. The associated fear will fade the more you understand it.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on May 15th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Hi Merchf
actually there are different reasons for soreness and excersise intolerance, therefore they should be treated in a different ways.

here there are several suggestions.
1. If you check that and know that you do not have blood viscosity problems (high viscosity or too high platelets count) you might try massage and warm baths.
2. You may try viamines related to B group.They usually do well at neuralgias, but they might improve also those pains sometimes. For me it was quite helpful.
3. Check if you have (or have not) any circulatory problems - then the meds inproving limb blood supply could be helpful (as well as massage)
4. Relaxation methods or antianxiety meds, because often sore muscles are just overtensed ones, due to anxiety, which is our frequent companion ;(

no, trembling, especially after several squats in a row is not a weakness, it just means your muscles are less tolerable to the load, but not weak in a clinical means.
Condition when someone feels worse without moving legs is known as 'restless leg syndrome' and usually it becomes very prominent when the person affected goes to bed. A frined of mine has to imitate bycicle riding sometimes othervise he just could not relax his calves and could not sleep. It is also frequent part of BFS.

I personally can tell that today even early in the morning my shoulders were so sore that it was a pain to hold a fork. And I realise now that I had that upper arms soreness and easy fatigue condition far before I got a BFS onset... I just thought it is normal!!!! probably from childhood... it was so easy for me to get pain in my sholder with very little load like toothbrush holding etc... however I still was able to do any work and use my hands and never thought it is any specific condition... and only now I become to realize that it might be certain HMS-related feature.. But I am 42 already and still moving around and typing for 12 hours per day :)
So I would like to say muscle soreness is very annoying but generally harmless.

have a good day
regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby jorge on May 16th, 2012, 6:04 am

Today my right leg got really sore just from driving to work. I don’t like were this is going... :( First myoclonic jerks, then twitching, then tremor and now muscular pain. All this progress in only 8 months. Will BFS ever settle down and stabilize?
jorge

Postby johnnythejet on May 16th, 2012, 8:23 am

jorge wrote:Today my right leg got really sore just from driving to work. I don’t like were this is going... :( First myoclonic jerks, then twitching, then tremor and now muscular pain. All this progress in only 8 months. Will BFS ever settle down and stabilize?

BFS will never settle down and stabalize until you stop caring about it. As long as you are "waiting" for things to improve or stabalize and have anxiety tied to your symptoms then the suffering will continue. If you can accept that this may never go away but will never harm you and are OKAY with it.....then I believe over time this stuff will fade into the background of your daily life.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Mercfh on May 22nd, 2012, 4:16 am

Ya know the twitches don't really bother me...thats the thing. I get the occasional big spasm but mostly they are just a slight annoyance.
The muscle soreness/perceived weakness is what really gets to me, some days my thighs/legs will just feel sore and tired all day. And especially when resting.....I mean the soreness hurts.

And I do worry about it being something worse....but i've been to the neuro (Although he thought I had RLS) because I went to the neuro for the tremors in my fingers. Clean MRI and everything. I know it's not MS....and I know it's not ALS (Or I certainly hope not. i'd prolly be disabled already since this has been going on for more than a year now). But the soreness just really wears me out and i'll be so tired some days.

BFS really sucks......
Mercfh

Postby LKP1231 on September 28th, 2014, 5:00 pm

I know this post is so old but I'm glad (?) to read that Jorge had the leg soreness when driving like I do. It's making me crazy but seeing that it happened to someone else makes it just a bit better. Not sure if he's active here anymore but thanks Jorge and I hope you're feeling ok.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby Rages on December 11th, 2014, 4:21 am

+ 1000 to this post.

It seems to be written by me, all the symptomes described are mine !

:wink:
Last edited by Rages on December 11th, 2014, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rages

Postby LKP1231 on December 11th, 2014, 6:59 am

I'm glad you brought this post back up Rages. I'd forgotten that I had seen it but at the time it was just the sore driving leg for me, now it's the soreness and achiness.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS