Let's talk about cramping (small quiz)

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Let's talk about cramping (small quiz)

Postby sussemaus on April 28th, 2012, 11:13 am

I know a lot of us are dealing with this issue. For me, I'd say it's probably more stressful (and painful!) than the twitches! So I thought a quiz might be nice just

1. Where do you cramp up most frequently? Most infrequently?

2. How long do they last?

3. Does anything in particular seem to bring them on?

4. Have you found anything that relieves it?

5. Any other thoughts or comments?
sussemaus

Re: Let's talk about cramping (small quiz)

Postby sussemaus on April 28th, 2012, 11:31 am

- My fingers, the palms of both my hands and both feet are the most frequent. I also experience occasional cramping sensations in my biceps and forearms, and yesterday, for the first time, in my left quad.

- Most are less than a minute, have yet to experience one consecutive cramp longer than five or so minutes, although short ones do pop up in my feet pretty regularly.

- I used to experience the foot cramps only when lying in bed or when I left my fingers in an awkward position, but the foot and bicep ones just seem to come now whenever they feel like it. Exercise (push-ups) also seems to be bring on the bicep cramps and sometimes I get the foot cramps while walking.

- I've tried vitamins (D, Magnesium, B12) but haven't really seen any results from those. Also tried stretching them out and it makes them feel better but the cramp doesn't really go away any faster! Self-massage was the same. However I've recently discovered that drinking tonic water has reduced the amount of the cramps that I experience. It seems that's because it contains a small amount of quinine, which is a muscle relaxant. Not a fan of the taste but will keep drinking it.

- Really hoping they start to ease off on their own soon.
sussemaus

Postby bobajojo on April 28th, 2012, 12:09 pm

1. Where do you cramp up most frequently? Most infrequently? In the arches of my feet. I also get them in the achilles area just below my calf in the back of my leg. And I get lots of aches in my hands and forearms.

2. How long do they last? usually just 10 seconds or so, but sometimes I get them off and on for a day or two.

3. Does anything in particular seem to bring them on?Pointing my toes will always trigger a foot arch cramp.

4. Have you found anything that relieves it? Standing on my toes will make it go away instantly.

5. Any other thoughts or comments? Cramps are very common with BFS. That's why there is BCFS for those who have frequent cramps.
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby dreadpirateroberts on April 28th, 2012, 2:00 pm

1. Where do you cramp up most frequently? Most infrequently? Most often in my insteps of both feet. Sometimes my hands after heavy use of them.

2. How long do they last? Seconds at a time.

3. Does anything in particular seem to bring them on? Exercise mostly, but sometimes stretching my feet will bring one on.

4. Have you found anything that relieves it? Baclofen helps a lot. Very good relief. In fact, if I take a dose before exercise, cramping is much less if at all

5. Any other thoughts or comments? My dx is actual cramp fasciculation syndrome
dreadpirateroberts
Hero
Hero

Postby mike fla on April 28th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Where do you cramp up most frequently? Most infrequently? Calves

2. How long do they last? Usually I will have cramping for several hours at a time.

3. Does anything in particular seem to bring them on? Strenuous exercise and stress

4. Have you found anything that relieves it? Klonopin helps alot. Usually I take a half dose (.25 mgs) but when I have bad cramps I take a full dose (.5 mg). Hot compresses, baths and stretching help alot.

5. Any other thoughts or comments? Cramping is annoying but I can still do what I need to do to get through the day. They are not debilitating.
mike fla
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on April 28th, 2012, 11:35 pm

1. Where do you cramp up most frequently? Most infrequently? Very frequently in the arch of feet and toes. Quite often in deltoids (so called bra cramps - they are coming when the girl tries to put on the bra...). I was alsi used to have cramps in piriformis muscle (I think it is piriformis - that one internal hight thigh muscle but not for quite a long time already). I was crampy prone for long time before twitching. Most unfrequent crapm I had eysterday - I made a silly grimace andimmediately got fascial muscle crpamp first time in my life. But that was a day on 2 cups of tea only.

2. How long do they last? Depend on. Few seconds ususally.

3. Does anything in particular seem to bring them on? Yes, muscle straining.

4. Have you found anything that relieves it? I have to stretch the muscl in an opposite direction. If I point the toes - then put them pointing to me, etc. It relieves cramp immediately.

5. Any other thoughts or comments? Cramps are boring. Just boring, painful and sad thing.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on April 29th, 2012, 12:23 pm

1. Where do you cramp up most frequently? Most infrequently? Most often say 70% in both legs. hands, biceps, shoulder, jaw/neck, hips, abdo would make up the remaining 30%.

2. How long do they last? from a few seconds/minutes to on and off the full day even through the night. I get a the odd major full leg mainly down the entire back of the leg that can last over 15 minutes were i dare not move with my leg in full extension :(

3. Does anything in particular seem to bring them on? Just come and go, over use of the legs will make them worse and more often, i can induce them at any time if i want to

4. Have you found anything that relieves it? Mag phos suppliment LDN has helped but not cured

5. Any other thoughts or comments? My dx is cramp fasciculation syndrome too, also how come they are worse when you participate in bedroom fun :evil:
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on May 1st, 2012, 1:03 pm

I know a lot of us are dealing with this issue. For me, I'd say it's probably more stressful (and painful!) than the twitches! So I thought a quiz might be nice Yes it always has been the worst part of BCFS for me even though now I have much less of it than I did a few years ago.....

Now - my feet still cramp - occasionally IT band. In the old days I don't think there were many muscles that didn't cramp but it was consistently neck/jaw, feet, thigh, back, calves. Most infrequently it'd be the trunk muscles excluding the back

Varied - seconds to a few minutes with a soreness that could last afterward for days. Some were all-out cramps where the muscle would be incapacitated, some severe muscle spasm, others would be milder like a small fluttering spasm.

Usually lack of circulation and/or muscle tension.

Heat, massage, gentle stretching, ROM (range of movement) exercises, relaxation exercises including meditation.

For me it all has to do with controlling my muscle tension and yes that can mean many things; fluid intake, electrolytes, proper nutrition, or just plain stress being carried in the body from things unrelated to physical activity (why else would you get them at rest?)
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on May 1st, 2012, 4:39 pm

1. Where do you cramp up most frequently? Hands, feet, neck (most common)

2. How long do they last? less than a minute usually

3. Does anything in particular seem to bring them on? position usually

4. Have you found anything that relieves it? No, but haven't really tried.

5. Any other thoughts or comments? Cramps are very common among BFSers and non-BFSers in general. My wife actually gets more cramps than I do and she has never noticed a twitch in her life. Cramps are no big thang, yo.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on May 1st, 2012, 7:34 pm

Johnny - maybe for some people its no big thang - that wasn't my case. Unless of course you mean worrying about it like some here do. Cramps and spasms were bad enough to cause soft tissue injury, swelling, constant sprains which was a big thang as it kept me from working out and totally perplexed the orthopedists ("how did you sprain that?")
Last edited by ImOK on May 8th, 2012, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on May 1st, 2012, 10:34 pm

What I meant by no big thang was that the typical, occasional cramps the average person (BFS or no) aren't worth worrying about and are quite common, and not worth stressing over like some here do (as you pointed out). I acknowledge that in some cases they can be very painful, disruptive and downright horrible as in your experience. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management