To my American neighbours...

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

To my American neighbours...

Postby Dale on March 25th, 2003, 1:32 pm

As a Canadian, I am extremely disappointed in my government's lack of response to the war in Iraq.

I fully support the American effort & commend your President & your people for taking this stand.

I am sure that if Canada faced a crisis, no matter how large or small, Canadians could count on their US neighbours for help/support.

It's an embarrasement that we won't offer the same at this time.

Dale
Dale
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

US/Canada

Postby fastpage on March 25th, 2003, 3:44 pm

Thanks for your comments, my friend. I spend several weeks every year in Canada and I have found the people to be warm, friendly and as a rule, wonderful friends to the US. Sometimes official government policy needs to be distinguished from the thoughts and feelings of the general public. I have the highest regard for the people of Canada despite some irritation with it's leadership at the moment. I have also had moments of considerable irritation with the leadership in the US in the last 10 years. I think most of the folks down here know that many Canadians support us (and of course, we have our own group down here who are anti war) ...so it goes. As a vet I appreciate your good wishes. I will pass them on to my son who is in the US Navy. He will appreciate it even more.
fastpage

Postby Arron on March 26th, 2003, 12:53 am

Thanks for the nice words Dale. I have an employee that is French / Canadian that we call "Frenchie". He's a hell of a nice guy and has a great family.

I have never thought of Canadians as bad people or good people, just "people" like any of us. I always considered Canada to be impartial or "passive" to war, kind of like Switzerland or something, and never really gave it a second thought as to why they have never really come to our aid, but does that make any of us have bad feelings towards Canada? Not me or any of my friends.

People are people and governments are governments. There is a difference between the two and what one feels is not necessessarily what the other feels, in other words a LOT of us don't agree with what our own government does sometimes (gun control?, over spending on frivilous things, free retirement for government employees, etc.) as well and vise / versa. But we do support our troops and families that serve our country.

I have two brother's that served in Viet Nam and my real dad, as well as my step dad were both in the military as well. I don't take orders very well, so I never went or I would have surely been court marshalled.

I'm glad you support us and our troops and please don't think that most American's have any bad feelings towards Canadians because in my circle of friends, the subject has never even come-up, and I know a lot of people...
Arron

Postby Debbs on April 7th, 2003, 10:32 pm

Hi ya Dale,

Although Im in Australia I actually feel like Im a neighbour tooo :D and I think you are soooo right, the US is extrememly compassionate and dedicated to justice and freedom for all, there is no doubt in my mind that they would come to your aid in a crisis. I think President Bush is an awesome leader who has the guts and determination to go places that others have not dared in an effort to release people from the horrific bondage of an evil leader. I feel honoured to be fighting side by side with the USA. :D

God bless America......lol

Deb
Debbs

Postby Jenn311 on May 29th, 2003, 12:09 am

Hey Dale,
Maybe you should move to the US in revolt! That'll teach those Canadians! Lucky for some of our not-to-be-named politicians/draft-dodgers that Canadia has more of penchant towards pacifism than we do. he he he...j/k!
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

er....

Postby Reffin on August 17th, 2004, 10:38 am

As a Brit whose government DID support Bush's adventure in Iraq, I'm kind of proud of the Canadians, that they didn't <smile>
Reffin
Reffin

Postby jcavan4125 on August 17th, 2004, 1:23 pm

Het Reffin,

It doesn't surprise me that you have your location listed as France.

If the US didn't help Europe during World War II, you would all be speaking German now! At least the UK had the guts to stand with the U.S.! If Canada ever does get attacked by someone (or for that matter France), we all know the first country they will come crying to for help. What irritates me the most is that not only will the U.S. help, but we will be doing it with my tax dollars.

I understand one of the books on the best seller list in France right now is some Phd encouraging people not to work hard so the corporations will die from within. That doesn't surprise me either.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Reffin on August 17th, 2004, 2:01 pm

Well... I think as to logic, the knee jerk (perhaps not the best phrase to use though in this forum) reaction to "France" (wow - that really made me think!) and the absurd comparison of the United State's honourable intervention in the second world war with Bush's illegal, oil-oriented, Saudi-Arabia-avoiding intervention in Iraq that even most Americans now think ill-advised for god's sake, people will be able to judge for themselves - so thanks for your revealing response.
Reffin.
Reffin

Postby thetwitchkid on August 17th, 2004, 2:07 pm

and now, .....back to our regularly scheduled BFS :)
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby jcavan4125 on August 17th, 2004, 2:51 pm

Well Reffin,

It will likely not come as a surprise to you that I disagree with you on most points.

I apologize to the other members for going so far off topic, but at least we are doing it in the appropriate section (Off-Topics lounge).

First of all the issue of "illegal war".
The U.S. and its allies enforced multiple UN resolutions that were issued over the past dozen years that were being ignored by both the U.N. and Saddam Hussein. We simply did what the U.N. wouldn't do. Now with the information coming out about how much money certain U.N. members were profiting through the U.N. "oil for food" program (along with France, Germany and Russia), its no wonder they wouldn't do anything.

Next the issue of "oil oriented".
Those on the left love to use this slogan when trashing Pres. Bush on the war in Iraq. The bottom line is that oil is higher now than ever before and this does not help anyone other than OPEC. All of Michael Moore's ramblings and conspiracy theories aside, neither Pres. Bush nor Vice Pres. Cheney can profit from any "back room" dealings with regard to oil or anything else. All of their finances by federal law must be held in blind trusts. They don't even know what they are invested in.

Next the issue of "most Americans agree that we should not be in Iraq".
Actually most polls have the country evenly divided on this 50/50.

Lastly on the issue of "Saudia Arabia".
Well, I have to agree with you on that one!
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

RE: WAR IN IRAQ

Postby Bradford on August 18th, 2004, 1:03 am

As an American Citizen I take less of a political view on justifiying our involvement. I vividly remember the pictures of the planes colliding into the Twin Towers and all the horrific stories and accounts of death and destruction.

Quite frankly American citizens were attacked not military targets. This alone justifies the War and citizens of other countries better take notice that when America is provoked we will respond. It started with England when the King attempted to supress colonial independance and then Japan in WW2. Today we fight an army of terrorist.

The only thing that has changed in American History is the tools and means we use to fight and protect ourselves, but rest assured, when provoked our precedent has always been to respond.

I support the President for several reasons, but on the simplest level this president wasn't behind closed doors jetting his jollies from some intern while Americans were suffering and dying needlessly. For me I'm proud that America is attempting to show a little force to benefit future generations. A can of good old fashion american whoop ass is just the remedy for terrorism and those countries who support terrorists.

I pitty the country that needs heros like the French.
Bradford
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Reffin on August 18th, 2004, 2:19 am

Dear god - don't know whether to laugh or cry. They DO exist, these people! Shivers...
In the end it's just terribly sad. So I'll abide by the sensible advice from "thetwitchkid" above.
Reffin
Reffin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)