Frequent in shoulders?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Frequent in shoulders?

Postby TwitchyDoc on January 17th, 2012, 1:57 am

Hi,
Has anyone had twitching in both shoulders often? For me, its pretty often and triggered by arm movement..I am worrying again :( pls help
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: August 7th, 2010, 7:30 am

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby chrissi on January 17th, 2012, 2:23 am

Yes, definately, each time I lay on one of my shoulders or I hold up my arm and then relax it, my shoulders and my armpits will start to twitch
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
User avatar
chrissi
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 2:06 am
Location: Germany

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby twitcherHH on January 17th, 2012, 3:15 am

Hi!
Hi!

TwitchyDoc wrote:Has anyone had twitching in both shoulders often? For me, its pretty often and triggered by arm movement..I am worrying again :( pls help


Yes, I get them too. A lot. When moving my arm after some rest. My latest Hotspot is in my throat, btw. Really annoying. And sometimes I even get chest-cramps if I violently strech my arms.

I'm not a doctor, but this is what I know: Your shoulder-twitches might be a symptom of ALS, and they might of course be benign. You can't visually tell them apart when they occur in otherwise normally functioning muscles. So they are basically useless if you want to diagnose yourself. Get an EMG if you're worried. I bet that they are a symptom of your anxiety, especially when you concentrate so much on them.

All I know is that it really doesn't help my anxiety when you got all my symptoms and worry about them when you're a doctor. I've had all this for many years and have had many EMGs by now, if that reassures you ;-).
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time
 
Posts: 118
Joined: April 26th, 2011, 8:24 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby Shanny63 on January 17th, 2012, 3:21 am

I also get shoulder twitches very often twitchy doc...I've had a clean emg and two clean neuro exams...try not to let it make u anxious....my motto is a twitch is a twitch is a twitch...
User avatar
Shanny63
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 609
Joined: July 6th, 2011, 2:46 am
Location: Ballarat australia

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby TwitchyDoc on January 17th, 2012, 4:01 am

HH twitcher, what do you mean that they can be symptom of ALS? That is what I am affraid of (textbooks suggest to look for them in shoulder grindle). But more of you have them, I feel better. And I am reaching 5ht year!
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: August 7th, 2010, 7:30 am

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby Shanny63 on January 17th, 2012, 5:34 am

Hi twitchy doc, not my business to say but...reading text books about ALS is as bad as dr google....it's not going to help your anxiety...in fact I think even u will agree it has increased it again...the one thing every dr and neuro has told me that rings true....if I was a bit dumber I'd be happier......best wishes my friend Shannon
User avatar
Shanny63
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 609
Joined: July 6th, 2011, 2:46 am
Location: Ballarat australia

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby twitcherHH on January 17th, 2012, 6:18 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:HH twitcher, what do you mean that they can be symptom of ALS? That is what I am affraid of (textbooks suggest to look for them in shoulder grindle). But more of you have them, I feel better. And I am reaching 5ht year!


Let's look at it statistically: Twitches are a bad predictor for ALS, but health anxiety, medical knowledge and five years of twitching strongly suggest BFS. To me, this looks like textbook case, actually.
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time
 
Posts: 118
Joined: April 26th, 2011, 8:24 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby TwitchyDoc on January 17th, 2012, 7:38 am

TwicherHH, I just have a feeling that no many people have this..maybe I am wrong (I hope). Very often I feel my shoulders twitching in the front or back, often with left arm. I know after nearly 5 years I should be fine, but I have too much knowledge due to study which is hard to ignore.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: August 7th, 2010, 7:30 am

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby bobajojo on January 17th, 2012, 7:49 am

Tdoc,
I get this so much that I don't even notice it anymore. Both shoulders pop at the same time. Sometimes, just one shoulder, sometimes the other, but I get it in both shoulders quite a lot. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
User avatar
bobajojo
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1013
Joined: July 1st, 2011, 6:41 am

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby twitcherHH on January 17th, 2012, 7:50 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:TwicherHH, I just have a feeling that no many people have this..maybe I am wrong (I hope). Very often I feel my shoulders twitching in the front or back, often with left arm. I know after nearly 5 years I should be fine, but I have too much knowledge due to study which is hard to ignore.


I've also read that you look for (constant) twitching at the shoulders. Because it's very visible there when present - it's a muscle that covers a huge area. I haven't heard that the fact that you twitch there has some special significance.
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time
 
Posts: 118
Joined: April 26th, 2011, 8:24 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby Wells05 on January 17th, 2012, 10:40 am

tw do not worry! I know how ur fealing though, my shoulders twitch allot mainly my right though. As for al's twitching in shoulders DO NOT EVEN PUT UR MIND THERE! I will tell u I know of someone who did in fact have al's and he ONLY I mean ONLY twitched in one shoulder and NOWHERE else! So with that said u have 0 percent chance of a worry! But to add to that this guy had other issues with the shoulder also. u are totally good :) Ashley
p's.......it's snowing in Oregon yay!!!!! so so excited! we never get snow
Wells05
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 404
Joined: April 9th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby wjjw on January 17th, 2012, 10:52 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:TwicherHH, I just have a feeling that no many people have this..maybe I am wrong (I hope).

Yes, you're wrong. Lots of people twitch there. It was a frequent hot spot of mine for years, and YES I could trigger it by doing anything that involved my shoulder. Shoulder, neck, scalp, back, abs, triceps, biceps ... what's the difference? There is absolutely none.

TwitchyDoc wrote:but I have too much knowledge due to study which is hard to ignore.

You're problem isn't too much knowledge. It's that you've wrongly convincing yourself that your BFS symptoms are unusual when in fact they are not.

I'm prescribing some daily relaxation exercises for you doc, that's all you need. :wink:

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
User avatar
wjjw
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby Wells05 on January 17th, 2012, 11:04 am

wjjw wrote:
TwitchyDoc wrote:TwicherHH, I just have a feeling that no many people have this..maybe I am wrong (I hope).

Yes, you're wrong. Lots of people twitch there. It was a frequent hot spot of mine for years, and YES I could trigger it by doing anything that involved my shoulder. Shoulder, neck, scalp, back, abs, triceps, biceps ... what's the difference? There is absolutely none.

TwitchyDoc wrote:but I have too much knowledge due to study which is hard to ignore.

You're problem isn't too much knowledge. It's that you've wrongly convincing yourself that your BFS symptoms are unusual when in fact they are not.

I'm prescribing some daily relaxation exercises for you doc, that's all you need. :wink:

Cheers,
Bill

Bill I have to defiantly agree with u 100 percent. If ur in this over two years it's now our fault! it's our own mind twisted over this, I'm very thankful for people on this board for helping me realize this, two in particular ( John and matt) thank u for opening up my eyes! Ashley
Wells05
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 404
Joined: April 9th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby Ghayes420 on January 17th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Twitchy D. I hate seeing you come on here in a worry because it makes me a bit uneasy. I think it is because I respect your knowledge and your ability to research. I also think we are a bit similar with the fact that we both have a little bit of pessimist in us and that we both have read entirely too much on the topic of BFS and ALS.

That being said I would also like to chime in and say that the back of my shoulders on both sides continues to be one of th shot spots on my body. It always seems to be the same fiber. The one the runs down the back of the shoulder from the trapezius and connects to the tricep. This fires on my quite often through the day. Only my calves are more active.

TDoc, I have a strong suspicion at we have read the exact same articles on both subjects. I also have spoken with you before about Dr. Singh and his interpretation of BFS. Without going into detail I think you will agree that he is probably the most pessimistic neurologist on the topic of benign fasciculations. If you agree with this, like I am sure you will, then certainly you know that you are outside of even his super silly "monitoring period"! So even the most pessimistic neurologist in the world who co-authored the report we all hate to discuss, would even dx you with BFS and nothing else. That alone should give you peace of mind.

Please stay in touch with us and keep us updated. It is good to have you as part of the community, even if it does occasionally make me cringe. :)
A very proud fasciculator since 8/14/2011. :)
User avatar
Ghayes420
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 464
Joined: August 29th, 2011, 9:00 pm
Location: Nor Cal

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Postby wjjw on January 17th, 2012, 6:45 pm

Ghayes420 wrote:Twitchy D. I hate seeing you come on here in a worry because it makes me a bit uneasy. I think it is because I respect your knowledge and your ability to research.

And I hate seeing anyone on here worrying when they shouldn't be. With regard to your research abilities, I think your anxiety is obscuring your ability to see things clearly in this regard. How else could you explain your inability to recognize shoulder twitching as a common BFS symptom!?!

Ghayes420 wrote:I also think we are a bit similar with the fact that we both have a little bit of pessimist in us and that we both have read entirely too much on the topic of BFS and ALS.

I would be willing to bet that I've done as much, if not more research than both of you on these topics. And that has made me very optimistic. This includes analyzing and dissecting every "study" that has been brought up on this site in the past 6.5 years, and frequent visits to read hundreds of posts on als forums in response to someone panicking and dragging bits and half bits of "facts" back here. In every rare or not-so-rare instance that might potentially cause concern to a BFS'er, there was always something clearly different that was being overlooked. And BTW, I've personally known several excellent doctors who were notoriously bad at analyzing research papers and trends. Just saying…

Twitchy Doc, my prescription for daily relaxation exercises stands. And it will only help your research abilities. :wink:

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
User avatar
wjjw
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 2:39 pm

Re: Frequent in shoulders?

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Next

Return to Symptom Management

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests