My symptoms and predicament

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

My symptoms and predicament

Postby Lorenzo3 on January 9th, 2012, 5:59 pm

Hello,
I hope everyone is having a great new year and had a wonderful holiday season. I know you probably heard this 100 times but my symptoms are really scaring the wits out of me and I need some advice. I just turned 21 in november and went through a lot of stress over the past year. Around two months ago I started twitching in my leg and it progressed to everywhere. I was not to worried about them but went to the doc and got the benign fascination diagnoses. So much so that she said it was basically up to me to do a emg for piece of mind. Unfortunately, where I am from it takes a couple months to get an appt. right after that docs visit my mind started to worry about terrible diseases.

My hands and arms have been noticeable very strange since. I would not call it weakness, maybe minor weakness, but a different sensation than I have ever felt before. I first noticed it holding my iPad. My hands would treble and arms have a hollow feeling. The strangest thing is it seems to move from one arm to the other day by day.

My question you guys is should I be concerned about als or ms at this age? And what could be an explanation for these arms sensation. I should also note my dads second or first cousin had Als but he was around 50.

As mentioned earlier, i live on my own and may not be able to see a neurologist for a while so I need some feedback.

Sincerely,
Lorenzo
Lorenzo3

Re: My symptoms and predicament

Postby Lorenzo3 on January 9th, 2012, 6:18 pm

I am also on citalopram for anxiety but these sensations happened before I started on them.
Lorenzo3

Postby raindog on January 10th, 2012, 3:32 am

Lorenzo nothing you have mentioned there would remotely resemble ALS MS or anything untoward nasty or sinister. Remember ALS does not afect sensory nerves and moving from one arm to the other is another not in the als camp and so is bodywide twitching. All good news for you.

Find a hobby interest or sport get outdoors and enjoy your life. :wink:
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby Lillerz on January 16th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Lorenzo.

Like you I have been experiencing some strange sensations in my hands. When I put my fingers in certain positions, some of the fingers sometimes shake. The one I noticed first was opening my hand with palm facing down, then bending just my middle finger. At certain times my middle finger (more so in my right hand) would wobble around erratically.

I was worried at first, but it has been like that for perhaps 6 weeks that I've noticed and I've lost no dexterity or strength in my fingers. I should know since I spend the most part of the day using a keyboard in the office or playing guitar when I'm at home.

I had my needle EMG a week ago and although I have to go back to the see the neurologist for him to formally go through my results with me, the person that conducted the test said that the results looked right in the middle of normal. It was great peace of mind and I think it's relaxed me.
Twitching since October 2011
Lillerz

Postby johnnythejet on January 16th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Lorenzo,
Like raindog said, nothing you have described even remotely points to ALS. To the contrary, your story solidifies your position far, far away from that nasty disease. Your enemy at this point is anxiety.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management